Binos to pair with 12x50

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
Hey thanks I also peruse the birding forums for optics reviews and have only found good reviews on these kowas, can you point me to the review(s) you mentioned about QC issues? Also I thought Kowa were made and assembled in Japan?

My understanding is that the Kowa BD and even the newer BD II models are made in China, actually. Here's a short review of the new BD2 6.5x32 XD from about a month ago, and the owner says it says "Made in China" on them.

That seems to be a representation of what Mr. Newtosavage was talking about. I do know he is fairly knowledgeable and experienced with various binoculars.

I'm a bit bummed. I'm sort of in the market for a good (yet affordable) neck binocular, and thought it might be really useful to have a wide angle 6 or 7x bino. I'll keep holding out for now...

Hey thanks I also peruse the birding forums for optics reviews and have only found good reviews on these kowas, can you point me to the review(s) you mentioned about QC issues? Also I thought Kowa were made and assembled in Japan?
Their higher end (HG) models are, but not the BD's. They are made in China, and seem to be having some of the same made in china QC problems of almost every other bin made there.

The internal glare and focus wheel slop would be deal breakers for me. Those are two things I cannot tolerate in a pair of bins.

Most of the positive reviews are coming on the 6.5x models, which are fairly unique to the market. It's much easier to make a good 6.5x than even an 8x and certainly a 10x binocular. When folks have tried the 8's and 10's, the reviews have not been so positive.

If I were in the market for a 6.5x, I would give them a try from a dealer with a good return policy. But I'd still be leery about the long-term durability.

Here are some threads on the bins:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=383644

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=383465

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=383465

My understanding is that the Kowa BD and even the newer BD II models are made in China, actually. Here's a short review of the new BD2 6.5x32 XD from about a month ago, and the owner says it says "Made in China" on them.

That seems to be a representation of what Mr. Newtosavage was talking about. I do know he is fairly knowledgeable and experienced with various binoculars.

I'm a bit bummed. I'm sort of in the market for a good (yet affordable) neck binocular, and thought it might be really useful to have a wide angle 6 or 7x bino. I'll keep holding out for now...
Honestly, I'm loving my little 8x32 Bushnell Legends (original, not Ultra HD). If you can find a pair made in Japan, I think you'll be very impressed for what they deliver at around $150-175 on the used market. One of the best focus wheels and most comfortable eyecups of any binocular I've ever used, and the center sharpness is excellent.

This is what I'm talking about: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BUSHNELL-L...891127?hash=item2f29fcb8b7:g:bckAAOSwEGBcP09c

I carry a monocular always, and both mono and binos a lot of the time. Vortex SOLO R/T 8x36 mono has clear glass, decent light gathering, MRAD reticle, and can be had for $100 or so and carries a lifetime warranty. Simple one-handed operation, with a focus ring that goes full range in about a 1/4 turn. Lanyard plus a wide, long clip to keep it handy.

7.5 degree field of view and 16'-infinity focus is pretty good as well. At just under 10 oz, less than half the weight of almost any binocular.

Last edited:

binoman

FNG
look under the binoculars forum and there is a section for kowa, all the reviews are in there

OP
Str8shooter
Any other 30 or 32 mm 6 or 8 power binos worth investigating? The kowa bd ii 6.5x32 quality concerns appear to be valid worries. I spent an hour with them today and disappointingly will not be going with these...As described above the focus knob is super sloppy and has zero tension whatsoever...the FOV is indeed wide but usable clarity is only about 85%. Most problematic was looking inside both objectives showed small amounts of debris inside the housing in both tubes. I actually spent some time looking through the now discontinued Kowa 8x32 XD prominar and that piece of glass was substantially better but lacked that wide FOV. The hunt continues.

Last edited:
OP
Str8shooter
Ended up going with Maven B3 6x30. Super sweet little bino, lightweight, bright, nice fat sweet spot and the edges are surprisingly crisp. One handed provides a good stable image. Sub 500 yds and looking into thick vegetation this bino has great depth of field with very little focus adjustment required. After looking at the kowa bd ii 6.5x32, the kowa prominar 8x32, vortex diamondback 8x32, an opticron 6x32, and the swaro el 8x32, the maven hit every need at 3x less the cost than the swaro. (was the swaro sick..of course) but the maven is quite a bit more compact and lighter and that image is damn good for a sub $500 bino.

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
Good choice Str8shooter. 6 power is perfect for one handed use stalking and stillhunting. Also alot less focusing than with an 8 power.