How do you set your rifle down in the field?

sdx

FNG
I don't carry a bipod with me, so sometimes I struggle finding a good spot to set my rifle down when I find a glassing spot (if it's not in my pack or I don't have a pack). Sometimes on steep or rugged terrain there's just not a good place to set it without it sliding down, scraping up the scope or stock on rocks, or laying it in a bunch of brush or dirt. If I have my pack I'll usually try to lay it on the pack. Just wondering what others do that don't carry a bipod or don't have it in a pack.

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
I get your point tho, especially with a wood stock and blued rifle that you're trying to keep pretty. Maybe a lightweight rifle/scope cover?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Spray paint your stock to make it your own, buy a scope that wont lose zero with a light bump on a rock. Then you can set it down where you want. Any scratches adds character.
Amen, I had to give up the idea of a pretty rifle and truck… they are tools. Art is pretty and stays on my wall.

I hated dealing with dirt and dust in my rifle here in AZ desert.

feanor

WKR
I used a bipod for the first time this year just for the heck of it. I actually loved having it on just to deploy and set it down 30 times a day moving to new glassing spots, sitting down for lunch etc.
I almost used it to shoot a cow, but was in a rush and used the backpack for more elevation.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I don't carry a bipod with me, so sometimes I struggle finding a good spot to set my rifle down when I find a glassing spot (if it's not in my pack or I don't have a pack). Sometimes on steep or rugged terrain there's just not a good place to set it without it sliding down, scraping up the scope or stock on rocks, or laying it in a bunch of brush or dirt. If I have my pack I'll usually try to lay it on the pack. Just wondering what others do that don't carry a bipod or don't have it in a pack.

Lay it on the ground or in the rocks.

Hunters have to be the largest “I don’t actually use anything I have cause it might get dirty” group of people that exist in the outdoors.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
lol, so true. “That’s a pretty rifle.” Made me think who else in the outdoors calls their gear or tools pretty?

Amen, I had to give up the idea of a pretty rifle and truck… they are tools. Art is pretty and stays on my wall.

I hated dealing with dirt and dust in my rifle here in AZ desert.
Yup, one of the perks of using a chassis for me. My rifles are also cerakoted/nitrided for corrosion resistance. Now I can throw them around all I want and not worry. I just got back from a coues hunt in AZ and my rifle got beat to hell the entire time. I may get that action/scope cover because (while it didn't affect my ability to shoot) cleaning the layer of dirt out of my action afterwards was a pain in the ass. It'd help if I hadn't been a dumbass and dragged my action through the dirt when moving my pack though.

Thegman

WKR
Lay it on the ground or in the rocks.

Hunters have to be the largest “I don’t actually use anything I have cause it might get dirty” group of people that exist in the outdoors.
Yes, interesting how different people think about the same issue. For myself, I've never given it a second thought other than making sure it doesn't slide down a mountain and keeping junk out the action, but none of my rifles are "pretty" anyway. If they were, I'd probably think about it some, I guess.

Choupique

WKR
I might start tossing mine off into the rocks barrel first. Kinda like how our long snapper in high school drug his helmet behind his car through the parking lot. He never really used his helmet, but it sure looked like he did. EXACT same concept.

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, I grew up in a hunting family where we all used "pretty rifles", all wood and blued. It was a complete gamechanger for me when I bought a tikka a couple years ago, sponge painted the stock, and realized scratches and dings didn't bother me anymore.

WCB

WKR
Ill set it on the ground. Now I won't lay it in a bunc of snow and/or mud but dry ish ground or dusting of snow just lay it down. If it is too steep to lay it down just lay it across you lap or lay it righ behind you uphill so you are blocking it from sliding etc.

If you are in terrain too steep to lay it down why is it not already strapped to your pack or on a sling anyways?
Yep, I grew up in a hunting family where we all used "pretty rifles", all wood and blued. It was a complete gamechanger for me when I bought a tikka a couple years ago, sponge painted the stock, and realized scratches and dings didn't bother me anymore.
We had both but the wood and blued guns were treated like anyother gun. Scratches and nicks add character and hold stories. It is like guys that have a classic care in mint condition and brag about it but never drive it.....I never go the point of buying something just to look at that is literally designed for use? Cars, guns, women, etc.