Bipod pan feature?

lintond

WKR
Curious on opinions of pan vs no pan on your bipods? Primary use will be hunting, with LR practice being secondary.

Looking to upgrade my Harris to an Atlas or Evolution most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
I have Harris and Atlas bipods, my newest is an Atlas CAL (Cant And Lock), foregoing the pan option. I like the pan feature of the Atlas PSR, but I don’t struggle to pan on Harris or the CAL, and I consider the PSR design where the same knob tensions cant and pan to be a disadvantage. I do often shoot with my cant locked, or under higher tension to avoid tilting between shots - but then the pan feature is also locked or overly tight which precludes panning... I worked for a long time to practice shooting with the pod looser, but I’ve found it easier to practice panning over non-pan pods than it is to get used to loose cant. To each their own. Pan is nice, but I don’t personally weigh that feature very heavily in my decision making.

^ this. It is more nuisance than benefit unless it can be independently locked IMO.

JoeDirt

WKR
Pan on the Magpul bipod is bad. If pan is locked out, the magpul is an ok budget bipod.

Pan on the atlas v8 is better than magpul, but still not that great. You can set tension much better on the atlas.

the Atlas Gen2 Tall CAL is my current favorite. I’ll probably pick up one or two more this year.

I agree I hunt with the Magpul bipod. Its Ok for beating the brush. I wish the pan locked and the legs had a little less play.

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
I have an Atlas V8 and I definitely made a mistake not spending the additional for non-rotating legs. Was leaning towards no pan and it sounds like that’s the consensus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had bipods, with and without, the panning feature (Atlas and Thunder Beast Arms). Based on measuring group sizes from 100 - 1,200 yards, I had a measurable decrease in group sizes with the TBAC bipod, which does not have a panning feature.