Bipod - rookie questions - adapter, wood stock, brands

fwafwow

WKR
I've never used a bipod, so please forgive the basic questions. I would like to use one on my two Cooper wood stock rifles - mainly for target and practice, but maybe also for hunting. (Most of my rifle hunting is whitetail stand hunting, but I may do backcountry elk with a rifle at some point.) Here are my questions:
  1. Am I a complete idiot to focus on a swivel stud mount approach with an adapter? I'd really prefer not to alter the wood stock, but I suspect that will limit my options, and maybe stability. As for the swivel stud adapters I've been able to find (based on quick searches), I even cringe at the thought that the adapter will be so tight as to leave a mark in the stock. I know, a firearm should be a tool, but maybe I'm not the only one who has this thought.
  2. Assuming some of the swivel stud adapters are legit (I saw Accu-Tec, MagPul, Hatch and Javelin adapters), what are the suggestions to consider for brands/types? I'm not terribly concerned about weight given the smaller chance I will use it other than at the range. BUT I'd love a system that would be relatively easy to attach/detach, work for both rifles, as well as on my ARs (if I ever recover them from the boating accident), and some flexibility if I at some point want more than one bipod option (bigger for range, smaller/lightweight for hunts).
Thanks in advance!

Fatcamp

WKR
Harris bipods have a piece of foam where they contact the stock. Never had one mar a rifle, but I'm using mostly synthetic stocks

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Harris bipods have a piece of foam where they contact the stock. Never had one mar a rifle, but I'm using mostly synthetic stocks
I wondered if any had something like that. You like the Harris?

Fatcamp

WKR
I wondered if any had something like that. You like the Harris?

I do. Have all three heights and use them consistently.

Usually hunt with the tallest one. Have killed animals from a bunch of different position with it.

KIMG3432.JPG

A harris bipod is a good option. I would suggest getting one with the swivel option. That allows a little bit of can't adjustment so you don't have to adjust the legs to get your rifle perfectly level. I personally like the notched leg version. The 6-9 is good for prone in cleared areas on flat ground. You would need something taller if trying to shoot over taller grass or any of the awkward hunting positions you might find yourself in.

Harris S-BRM

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t say enough good things about the Hatch bipod. I don’t think I would’ve killed my bull without it. The bipod extends out enough to make a sitting shot, you can also use it standing up by putting one of the legs on your waistline for pretty steady shooting.

I have the acu-tac because I bought my Hatch last minute, like you I didn’t really feel comfortable drilling a hole in my gun. The Acu-tac did the job however, it’s not perfect IMO. It’s pretty bulky, depending on your gun it may not be a good fit. I had a terrible time getting the pin to slide through my sling stud. If I had it to do over I’d probably just buy the regular pic rail with a sling hole towards the back.

Go on YouTube and watch the Hatch Outwest Rifle Bipod by MuleyCrazy. He will explain everything I mentioned about shooting positions. I found a lot of times prone position won’t work. That bull I killed I was on a steep hillside and the sitting position was the only way. I used my backpack for a rear rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk