Bipod/tripod Shooting setup for Wyoming

Jimss

WKR
I doubt if you'll need a bipod but that's just me! I prefer a prone position off my backpack! If there is taller brush I set my rifle in a slot on my spotting scope/tripod. Almost all of my shots are 100 to 250 yards.

For those of you shooting prone off backpack are you taking anything extra in your pack other than typical layers to provide ability to get your gun and elbow stable?

Wags

WKR
Has anyone used the BOG Deathgrip tripod? I am kicking around grabbing one for my 12 year old son for this season.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used the BOG Deathgrip tripod? I am kicking around grabbing one for my 12 year old son for this season.
Im curious about this as well. It’s my wife’s first year hunting. She’s been shooting fairly well off my glassing tripod with a V yoke (2-3 moa). I’m wondering if a Bog death grip or pig saddle will make a big difference.

Wags

WKR
You know it weighs 8.5 - 9 lbs, right?
I didn’t notice the weight but if you know of a similar stable platform for him to use I’m all ears…

You know, I bet he isn't taking his 12 year old on a death march either, right?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Correct… he has 2 goat tags & 1 mulie tag. None of the walking will be terribly far and I’ve got the back to lug the extra weight.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t notice the weight but if you know of a similar stable platform for him to use I’m all ears…

Correct… he has 2 goat tags & 1 mulie tag. None of the walking will be terribly far and I’ve got the back to lug the extra weight.
Why not mount a deathgrip head, pig saddle, etc on your glassing tripod? I’ve been using a tripod with a V yoke and it’s plenty stable. Would also be cheaper.

You know, I bet he isn't taking his 12 year old on a death march either, right?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Just pointing it out in case he didn't realize the weight. And no, I don't know if he's taking the boy on a death march, .....
or setting up right outside the truck door. You see, I don't know the man's hunting style. But I do know that what he's wants to accomplish can be done with much less weight.

Wags

WKR
Just pointing it out in case he didn't realize the weight. And no, I don't know if he's taking the boy on a death march, .....
or setting up right outside the truck door. You see, I don't know the man's hunting style. But I do know that what he's wants to accomplish can be done with much less weight.

The 2 goats will be easy enough in terms of walking so no issue with weight there.

The Mulie may take a little more in the way of effort and humping, we'll have to see how it shakes out.

Do you have another similar platform you'd recommend that's roughly the same price?

Hammer123

FNG
I’ve been happy with my deathgrip, I’ve seen a lot of ppl modding them to run arca. I will probably try the same for mine. The carbon fiber ones are worth it as the aluminum dents easily and the legs won’t retract. Sure there are lighter options but for the price they are hard to beat

Cowbell

WKR
I may come across as cheap. But I tell you what.... tripod trigger sticks have been the difference for me in killing deer fast where I had a short opportunity to make a shot. Including a 200" muley in WY last year. I carry them in my hand and use as a walking pole. I then change the head out and use for glassing. I can quickly get on deer that I jump or that are moving and make standing shots. If I'm still hunting, I adjust the sticks to my shooting height and ease along with rifle in the other hand. Best $100 I've probably spent.

ihuntsolo

FNG
If you've spent much time in Wyo you learn in a hurry the wind HOWLS! Shooting closer to the ground as possible is by far the best route to go. My preference is to shoot from a prone position off my backpack. I'm not getting any younger and also don't like carrying added weight of a bipod or tripod on my rifle or in my backpack. I usually stalk game with my final approach in an area that is open where I can shoot prone off my backpack. I always have my tripod plus spotting scope with me for field judging and shoot off my tripod/spotter if it's impossible to shoot in tall brush or grass.
I know this is an old thread but am curious about how you shoot off your tripod/spotter? What is the setup specifically? Thanks.

I've used a Harris bipod for years hunting in the midwest and own about every size they offer. I love the adjustability of them and they are more than stable for me to make shots (on steel) up to 750 yards consistently. Furthest I've attempted an animal was a doe white tail at 520 from the prone position and connected first shot.

36Fan

FNG
Swagger Bipods, I was skeptical to try them at first as I mainly used shooting sticks for years. Now I run them on all of my coyote rifles.