Bipod vs. tripod. Worth it to carry both?

mouri010

FNG
Currently have a tripod for glassing and looking at getting a bipod for my rifle. The thought crossed my mind that I could just get a mounting head for my rifle to go on my tripod then I wouldn’t need to carry around both and I would have a more stable shooting platform.

Open to thoughts and discussion on the nuances of the subject.

Obviously a bipod is quicker to deploy, but in a situation where you need to make a quick shot (<200yds??) added stability from a bipod/tripod isn’t exactly as necessary and could be achieved from using a pack/tree/rock to stabilize quickly to make the shot.

Mouri you are on the right track IMO. I’ve done rails on (4) of my rifles if I was doing it over again they would all have full length arca rails on the forend instead of short micro sizes plates that I installed on the first three I did. You can shoot prone off the tripod or for a quick shot the flat full length plate is better even for shooting off a bag (or pack) than a standard round forend.

I recently got a salmon river full length plate with the notch to fit around the bottom metal and it’s milled to fit a rounder forend. Looking forward to install, looks like a winner.

Last edited:
I carry both. The bipod is quicker and in some circumstances the smaller footprint of the legs when they are deployed is advantageous.

Other times because of vegetation or terrain the tripod works better.

Tools for different situations I guess.

I don’t do the bi pod thing. Only carry a tripod. If we are gonna take a prone shot just shoot off a pack. Works great better than lugging around a bipod

I carried both until this year. I have not had an opportunity to use the bipod in a few years due to height of brush, etc. Left the bipod at home this year and went with just the tripod. Works great as a couple of elk over the last two years would testify to if they were able. :)

Almost always both.

Almost always have a tripod for glassing and I always have the Outdoorsman's Shooting V in my pack. This works for taller vegetation and not terribly long distance (under ~350 yards).

For longer shots, or shots that I need to thread the needle, it is the bipod. Packs work but they may not be the best option if on uneven ground, on a incline/decline, need more/less height, etc.

No point in limiting yourself to a single tool for all applications.

I find it interesting that guys will spend 1000's on Rifles, Optics, Tags, Kestrel's, Range finders, etc. but won't carry items that may make them more stable and accurate when the time comes to punch the tag.

I carry both and have used both the last several years. If I can get prone, I do. However most times it's not an option and the tripod comes out. I want every advantage possible when the opportunity comes.

Bipod lives on my rifle 24/7. Prone off bipod is always first choice. Tripod is also on every trip, strapped to the outside of my pack. It gets used for glassing and all situations where the bipod won't work.

I’ve shot literally hundreds of animals prone off my backpack.

I hunt open country and always have my spotting scope on my tripod. In times I hunt tall grass or brush I tilt my spotter facing down and wedge my rifle solidly between the spotter and adjustment arm. No need to carry anything else.

I have quick connects that attach my spotter to the tripod for switching back and forth between tripod and window mount…or taking off while packing. It would be simple to add a rifle mount with a quick connect attachment. I don’t shoot very long range and it’s a lot quicker to just place my rifle in the gap with spotter still attached.

I used to have a bipod attached during the hunt. Now that I've practiced a lot off a tripod the bipod is nothing but a kickstand. It won't be coming along on any hunts going forward. The tripod is just way more versatile once you practice a little with it.

Something I tell my guys at work quite a bit...use the right tool for the job.

Bipod was designed for prone shooting.
Tripod was designed for glassing and shooting from a more elevated position. If the legs will spread wide enough a tripod can be used as a bipod in the prone position. Just takes a little more time to get setup and a bigger footprint.
Backpack was designed to carry gear on your back.

Always use a rear bag also. The front and rear of the rifle should both be firmly supported for long range shots.

Attachments

• 20221029_184400.jpg
    20221029_184400.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
I'm thinking about a tripod over a bipod for Lanai axis deer hunting, there just aren't tons of opportunites for prone off a bipod shots due to vegetation. A tripod I think would be ideal for seated or standing shots over the vegetation, but a tripod that's able to get short enough to bipod height for those possible prone shots with a large available footprint would be ideal. Does that exist out there for a more reasonable price than the $1100 Spartan option?

I picked up a Primos Triggerstick tripod a few months ago. It will go as low as 22 inches and as tall as 60 if memory is correct. Plan to carry it on an aoudad hunt in Jan. so no report yet.

Does that exist out there for a more reasonable price than the $1100 Spartan option?
The RRS that goes to the ground would be more. But, any tripod without a center column would get to bipod height. However, if you have the tripod and practice different positions with it, you'll find you're as comfortable kneeling as you are prone.

I'm thinking about a tripod over a bipod for Lanai axis deer hunting, there just aren't tons of opportunites for prone off a bipod shots due to vegetation. A tripod I think would be ideal for seated or standing shots over the vegetation, but a tripod that's able to get short enough to bipod height for those possible prone shots with a large available footprint would be ideal. Does that exist out there for a more reasonable price than the $1100 Spartan option?

I have a leofroto tripod and head

Attachments

• ED2B770A-6DE4-46B2-8B14-42540DED3743.jpeg
    ED2B770A-6DE4-46B2-8B14-42540DED3743.jpeg
    611.6 KB · Views: 102
Back