BIPODS- A busy market now!

Wright406

WKR
+1 for the Ckyepod single light weight. It’s the same weight as a Harris 6-9 yet boasts far more usability like others have mentioned. I have hiked probably close to 100 miles with it on my sub 10lb rifles with zero complaints in regard to weight. I’ll give up a few ounces for everything it offers.

Macintosh

WKR
Just picked up a used javelin pro hunt tac. Mouthful.
Its 8 oz, and the legs adjust lengthwise easily by pushing a lever/button—that was one of the main shortcomings of the other lightweight javelin models. Pulls on and off the gun instantly. The only downside so far, which is a significant miss, is that it doesnt fold parallel to the gun. I never ever even bring a bipod hunting at home, but have shot several animals on traveling hunts off a bipod. Will have to use more on a trip and in field practice to see how I like it without being able to fold it, but so far it seems to have fixed some of the other awkwardness I’ve found with the other lightweight spartan options.

Indewoods

FNG
Check out Backlanz bipods out of NZ. Crazy light (5.6 oz on 9”-13.5”). Titanium & carbon fiber construction. Pretty robust locking mechanism too.

blkqi

WKR
I don't generally use a bipod for hunting, but I've used a few and the TBAC seems to be a sweet spot.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just picked up a used javelin pro hunt tac. Mouthful.
Its 8 oz, and the legs adjust lengthwise easily by pushing a lever/button—that was one of the main shortcomings of the other lightweight javelin models. Pulls on and off the gun instantly. The only downside so far, which is a significant miss, is that it doesnt fold parallel to the gun. I never ever even bring a bipod hunting at home, but have shot several animals on traveling hunts off a bipod. Will have to use more on a trip and in field practice to see how I like it without being able to fold it, but so far it seems to have fixed some of the other awkwardness I’ve found with the other lightweight spartan options.
Not a downside at all it doesn't fold up, thats the whole point of the product. Main reason it was designed even. If you want a bipod to stay 100% on the file this is 100% the wrong product for sure as it's really the main feature, as different as a shotgun vs a rifle if you will. There are loads of great bipods that live on the rifle.

Macintosh

WKR
Not a downside at all it doesn't fold up, thats the whole point of the product. Main reason it was designed even. If you want a bipod to stay 100% on the file this is 100% the wrong product for sure as it's really the main feature, as different as a shotgun vs a rifle if you will. There are loads of great bipods that live on the rifle.
Fair enough, although if the same thing at close to the same weight also had the ability to fold against the gun, I’d buy that instead 10 times out of 10. Whatever its called it necessitates a different pre-shot process that Im not sure If Im a fan of yet. Will need to get over the “old habits die hard” hump before I can really say one way or another. A better holster or better location for holster for it might make a big difference in this regard too, the webbing one I have (unsure if its a spartan product or aftermarket) is fairly snaggy to get the bipod in/out in a hurry versus reaching up to fold down legs.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Fair enough, although if the same thing at close to the same weight also had the ability to fold against the gun, I’d buy that instead 10 times out of 10. Whatever its called it necessitates a different pre-shot process that Im not sure If Im a fan of yet. Will need to get over the “old habits die hard” hump before I can really say one way or another. A better holster or better location for holster for it might make a big difference in this regard too, the webbing one I have (unsure if its a spartan product or aftermarket) is fairly snaggy to get the bipod in/out in a hurry versus reaching up to fold down legs.
FHF makes a holster most folks use. Attaches to the bino pack, sling, backpack etc. Check that out.

Dobermann

WKR
Check out Backlanz bipods out of NZ. Crazy light (5.6 oz on 9”-13.5”). Titanium & carbon fiber construction. Pretty robust locking mechanism too.
There's an old review of it here by Kerry Adams who is somtimes on this board: https://goodblokes.nz/backlanz-detachable-bipod-the-battle-of-the-lightweight-bipods/

I had a look at his and wasn't impressed with the mounting system. Not sure, but he might have had a later article on that site that talked about its drawbacks. Either way, not sure he's using it any more, but he might chime in here.

Dobermann

WKR
While a lot of field comp shooters are using the TBAC (and I have one and love it), it might be worth checking out the Tier 1 Tactical bipod - I can't recall the weight off-hand (will be on their website), but it was one of the lighter, more robust, and foldable options (that didn't have the downsides of the CkyePod, NeoPod, Magpul, and some others).

Indewoods

FNG
There's an old review of it here by Kerry Adams who is somtimes on this board: https://goodblokes.nz/backlanz-detachable-bipod-the-battle-of-the-lightweight-bipods/

I had a look at his and wasn't impressed with the mounting system. Not sure, but he might have had a later article on that site that talked about its drawbacks. Either way, not sure he's using it any more, but he might chime in here.
He has a ball mount that replaces an existing swivel stud in the stock, so it’s not that much different from Harris or any of the similar designs that attach to a swivel stud. Good review though.

Am I the only one that is flabbergasted by how much bipods cost? I’ve been using a cheap Caldwell for the last few years and figured I could benefit from a better bipod while I am starting to focus on shooting further (700 yards and beyond practicing) but may just keep the Caldwell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but may just keep the Caldwell
Please don't do that...

If you're looking for an inexpensive upgrade you can get a Harris BRMS with a swivel-adjust lever already installed here. And if the 6-9" height isn't enough they also sell the HBRMS (9-13") with the lever as well. $125 isn't much compared to a lot of other bipods on the market and it's still a solid starter.

Last edited:
Please don't do that...

If you're looking for an inexpensive upgrade you can get a Harris BRMS with a swivel-adjust lever already installed here. And if the 6-9" height isn't enough they also sell the HBRMS (9-13") with the lever as well. $125 isn't much compared to a lot of other bipods on the market and it's still a solid starter.

I appreciate the info. The Caldwell is junky and I know it but it seems to just keep working lol

Harris was my original plan but then figured why not spent a little bit more and potentially get a lighter setup. That’s where my earlier comment came from. Many of the other options people mention are $350-$500+. Thankfully finances are not a problem but I find it hard to want to spend that much on a bipod. Maybe I’m just off base and don’t realize what a high quality bipod does for shooting

Maybe I’m just off base and don’t realize what a high quality bipod does for shooting
Harris would be a significant step up from the Caldwell. For hunting I've never been enamored with the Atlas bipods due to how leg extension works for them. It can be annoying when behind the rifle. Of the traditional bipods you leave attached to your gun (I have no experience with the Spartan type systems), if I had a Harris and were to upgrade it would be straight to a TBAC or Ckye.

For something below TBAC/Ckye, if you have an ARCA or picatinny rail on the bottom of your fore end to mount a bipod to you can get an MDT Grnd-Pod. I think that's the best you can do below $300, but it doesn't mount to a sling stud.

pirogue

WKR
. Maybe I’m just off base and don’t realize what a high quality bipod does for shooting

And walking, backpacking, trekking, etc. Like many things associated with the outdoors, one pays extra to eliminate bulk and weight. I like my Spartan Pro Hunt bipod, 19.5”-42”, don’t have to lay down to shoot, quickly attach/detach to sling swivel stud, therefore easy to shoulder carry your rifle, no bulk, under 1 lb., and can pan and tilt.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm not sure a different bipod is going to make you shoot any better or more accurate at the range. A solid rest is a solid rest period. What you're paying for on the higher end bipods is just features more suited to PRS or Hunting. Trimming weight, adjustability, in the case of the Spartan the ability to not have to keep the bipod on the rifle all the time, materials like carbon, etc. Obviously most of that does not matter at the range. Sure something like an atlas bt72 adds some width and a little stability especially on a heavy chassis rifle.

Dobermann

WKR
You know when a Harris is recommended as a step up, we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

I know Form and others don't use bipods, and that's fine.

But for those who do and/or want to, the suggestion that better bipods don't lead to better shooting just isn't true. Harris bipods notoriously out-of-square, and produced with technology that is at least a couple of iterations old. Some bipods have a lot of unnecessary slop. Some put the barrel way above the apex of the bipod, adding to unnecessary muzzle flip. And so on. All of this can be seen by using various bipods and has been documented a lot.

While bipods may not be wholly necessary for hunting - and that's a separate debate - there are some that are demonstrably better than others when it comes to assisting with recoil control, keeping the rifle in a straight line, reducing muzzle flip, and so on.

You know when a Harris is recommended as a step up, we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.
Well it would be a step up from a Caldwell but I'd much rather recommend an ARCA rail mounted bipod. Hunting folks don't tend to have ARCA or pic rails for bipod mounting though.
While bipods may not be wholly necessary for hunting - and that's a separate debate - there are some that are demonstrably better than others when it comes to assisting with recoil control, keeping the rifle in a straight line, reducing muzzle flip, and so on.
I agree on this. Some of them truly are better than others for shooting in general, let alone being more easy to deploy for hunting. I love the stability of my Atlas CAL but I hated taking it on a hunt. Hence why I now have a Ckye.

I know Form and others don't use bipods, and that's fine.

But for those who do and/or want to, the suggestion that better bipods don't lead to better shooting just isn't true. Harris bipods notoriously out-of-square, and produced with technology that is at least a couple of iterations old. Some bipods have a lot of unnecessary slop. Some put the barrel way above the apex of the bipod, adding to unnecessary muzzle flip. And so on. All of this can be seen by using various bipods and has been documented a lot.

So which bipod(s) do you think strike a middle good ground between features/design, weight and cost?