BIPODS- A busy market now!

Got to looking at new bipods and the market for bipods is CRAZY! Lots of stuff coming from many different companies. Would love some real world reviews and comparisons from those who have tried one, a few, all of them...

I currently have a Spartan Javelin, a short Harris S-BRM and a Tall 1A2-H (maybe a 25"-- rarely used). Looking for something that might just take the place of having 3 different bipods and fill the gaps in capability. Looking for something with pic or arca attachment, great stability, relatively lightweight and a decent range of elevation, plus the ability to cant and articulate the legs individually. I do currently have a Slik 634 that is always in my pack but I don't love the idea of removing glass to mount my rifle but I already have options (Davros head, outdoorsmans 'v') potentially an ARCA.

Here's a far from complete list of what I've found---

Rugged Ridge Extreme Gen2-- I like the ability to add legs/height if going to a hunt where seated/kneeling is possible.

Atlas- the gold standard? Not many options to get tall, maybe the BT47?

MDT-- two good looking options-- the cheaper GRND-POD or the lightweight single pull CKYE? Not cheap at all but if they are bombproof and hunt worthy it could be worth it.

Gunwerks Elevate- awesome range of height, super light-- how is the recoil/tracking/durability?

TBAC Bipod- literally never heard of it until google, has leg extensions, format seems somewhat large, lots of pieces having to connect, etc

RokStedi-- Prone, S-Prone? Lots of adjustability, good height, light, could go taller version, but not crazy about the length of the legs and the width of the footprint.

What say you ROKSLIDE??

lintond

WKR
Buy an atlas for prone / range work.

Buy a tripod for everything else. Or just shoot of your pack.

This is what I’ve kind of settled on. Since I’ve found shooting from a bipod in the field is often not realistic.

I’ve had several. I’ve found that I don’t need pan feature as it’s just one more thing to move/adjust.

Harris - bulky, heavy, and very limited options.

Rugged ridge - didn’t care for the twist locks legs and the ball head liked to creep for me when shooting.

Spartan - lightweight but lacks adjustability on leg position similar to Harris.

Atlas - using the CAL now. Make sure you get legs that don’t rotate or it’s hard to load on the bench. Made that mistake with my first Atlas

Evolution - very similar to the atlas in features but a little lighter.

Hatch - A little heavy and long legs on the gun when carrying. The best of the group for hunting scenarios with the extra height.

My next purchase will be the gunwerks to give a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TN2shot07

WKR
I have been using a hatch the past couple of seasons and my only real complaint is there is no way to pan.

I ordered a Spartan for this season with the new long pro legs for sitting height (most of my shooting). I like everything about it in practice so far except for finding a good way to carry it.

Buy an atlas for prone / range work.

Buy a tripod for everything else. Or just shoot of your pack.
This. A good shooting tripod can also be a pretty good bipod too since they go low enough. I think for field purposes most people would be better off investing in a really good tripod since it's good for glassing, positional shooting, and even prone shooting.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
This. A good shooting tripod can also be a pretty good bipod too since they go low enough. I think for field purposes most people would be better off investing in a really good tripod since it's good for glassing, positional shooting, and even prone shooting.

Also what I learned
Really Right Stuff TFCT MK2 Tripod 24L w/ Anvil-30 Head - 75 oz
Slik Carbon Fiber LITE CF-522 Travel Tripod With SIRUI VA-5 Fluid Video Head - 46 oz

Delta is 29 oz so less then 2 lbs. The Slik is hard to glass in heavy wind with. It vibrates with a atx/65 on it.
I have shot off the slik. The fluid head sucks to shoot off of. The ball head sucks to glass off of. Im sure there is some middle ground but I got sick of experimenting to find it. I still use both depending on the hunt.

For the purpose of shooting the RRS wins naturally.

The fluid head sucks to shoot off of. The ball head sucks to glass off of. Im sure there is some middle ground but I got sick of experimenting to find it.
Well for the glassing off the ball head, if you want to add another 7.5 oz and have the best of both worlds there's the RRS PT Scout. Just clips into the Anvil and is a full-on glassing pan head. I'm on backorder for one so hopefully I'll have a real opinion on it whenever I get it (probably 1-2 weeks). On paper it seems like a pretty big deal for Anvil users who also hunt.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Well for the glassing off the ball head, if you want to add another 7.5 oz and have the best of both worlds there's the RRS PT Scout. Just clips into the Anvil and is a full-on glassing pan head. I'm on backorder for one so hopefully I'll have a real opinion on it whenever I get it (probably 1-2 weeks). On paper it seems like a pretty big deal for Anvil users who also hunt.

For sure interested to hear your thoughts when you get hands on it.

SDHNTR

WKR
They all have some element of suck. No one has perfected a bipod yet. I like a Hatch for in the field versatility, an Atlas for the bench, and a Spartan when ounces matter. There are significant tradeoffs to all of them though.

TBAC is the best bipod I've ever used, it just isn't light at almost a pound and right at a pound by time you add the awesome RRS mount on it. The fact you can easily add extensions to make it longer or take them off to make it shorter is an awesome feature, as is the feet that you can easily swap out if you want to use spikes for shooting off the ground but then swap to rubber feet to shoot off of a hood of a truck or just to put it on your bench for cleaning/maintenance without gouging the shit out of your bench top.

I personally hate Atlas bipods and I've tried numerous times to like them. The legs are slower to deploy and retract, and I hate the pan feature. The CAL doesn't have the pan but still has the legs I dislike. They're a little lighter than the TBAC thought.

The Cyke pods are nice but IMO not as nice as the TBAC and they weigh more. Even their lightweight one is well over a pound and they're stupid expensive.

Never used or owner the rokstedi, rugged or gunwerks but I wouldn't ever give gunwerks a dime of my money.

OP
D
Great feedback so far, keep it coming, much appreciated!

Alright- so I was able to get to Scheels last night and get hands on with a couple of these bipods and here are my thoughts. NOTE: I will try to be succinct in how I discuss some features-- CANT- the ability to lay/tilt the rifle off a 90 degree vertical axis but there is also LEG CANT- ability to lock the legs into positions between the 0 degree stowed position and the 90 degree vertical firing position, which can include forward or rearward cant (based off muzzle direction) and SPLAY- the ability of the legs to move out at an angle sideways from the rifle, providing adjustment for height, uneven terrain, etc- this increases the 'footprint' of the bipod as the feet are now spread further apart.

Atlas- they had the tall BT47, solid bipod like my short Atlas, need to explore the NC and LW17 versions and the weight differences. Feet are changeable and there are even 3" leg extensions. It feels hefty but in a quality way, not bulk. **NOTE: This bipod actually was close or lighter than the GRND (as claimed on spec sheets) but definitely FELT heavier, if that makes sense**

MDT GRND POD- Really solid value, the cost is decent, lightweight, VERY user friendly and intuitive. It has throw lever rifle CANT as well as adjustable LEG cant. It can take ATLAS or CKYE feet and a few different mounting options. I think an important part to explore and for now my biggest question is Can I change the mount interface easily from a PIC to ARCA to the others? Very impressed with this piece and will be reading reviews on it for sure.

Gunwerks Elevate- Yes they had this in store! I wanted to love this bipod but I'm not quite sure it gets there for me for the cost. The pic attachment appears flawless and easy, the ergonomics and appearance are in line with gunwerks standards. PROS: Light, LOTS of adjustment, nice attachment system, may be the best value for range of height vs weight IF it is durable. CONS: NO LEG CANT, its either stowed or completely vertical. There is adjustable sideways SPLAY for the legs (they claim 4 positions, 120 degrees)- this is also a complaint as the splay of both legs is controlled by a small single silver button- so you can't really do it one handed. Youd have to plant one leg firmly and basically do one side at a time or both hands for one leg at a time. The feel of the 3 piece legs (twist lock AND spring activated) wasn't super solid but they did work flawlessly in the store. Durability will be the key here- I haven't watched gunwerks maintenance video yet.

==========BREAK==============

Thanks for bringing up HATCH and EVOLUTION. Seems like evolution has lots of leg lengths and accessories, weights are very similar. Anyone had both or have an idea on the pros/cons.

And we better add MTN Gear Mountain Bipod to the mix as well (4-15"), 5oz (claimed), 70 degree cant, incredible splay, and full pan.

Thanks!!!

Look at the RRS BTC-PRO and the SC-ARC mounts. They mount to the 17S style mount that Atlas and TBAC both use as well as a couple others. It does picatinny and Arca on the same mount without having to change anything. I prefer the BTC-PRO because it's half the weight and a little lower profile. It's also half the price. It's just not as fast as the lever release of the SC-ARC.

If you go with Atlas I would highly recommend checking out the CAL. The V8 and PSR is just too damn stiff. With them set completely loose on 20lbs rifles I was still fighting the bipods to get them to tilt and lifting up a leg usually. They also don't loosen up over time and only get worse once you get some dust and dirt in them. With the CAL you set tension just like a Harris and works much better and smoother than their ball socket one.

It may be worth mentioning whether the legs are rotating on these bipods. My Atlas CAL legs don't rotate which makes it much simpler to pre-load the bipod. My Harris bipods made it much more annoying to pre-load because the legs would rotate and walk the gun forward.

johnsd16

WKR
I use atlas but have looked at tier one several times online but haven’t seen them in hand. I haven’t seen those mentioned.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished my review of the Gunwerks. https://www.rokslide.com/gunwerks-elevate-bipod-review/

I also have reviewed multiple Spartan bipods, and have a thread going above on the mtn gear.

The Javelin Pro from Spartan is great when you want a bipod and weight is a big priority. The mtn gear is a little lighter, has more adjustments/versatility but durability hasn't been proven yet.

The MDT Lightweight Double Pull is the absolute best hunting bipod on the market if you can stand the $900 price and the weight penalty.

Gunwerks Elevate offers close to the same versatility as the MDT but it's not as fast/easy to adjust and not as sturdy or robust. It is WAY less expensive and a lot lighter.

As has already been mentioned, everything is a tradeoff.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
TBAC is the best bipod I've ever used, it just isn't light at almost a pound and right at a pound by time you add the awesome RRS mount on it. The fact you can easily add extensions to make it longer or take them off to make it shorter is an awesome feature, as is the feet that you can easily swap out if you want to use spikes for shooting off the ground but then swap to rubber feet to shoot off of a hood of a truck or just to put it on your bench for cleaning/maintenance without gouging the shit out of your bench top.

I personally hate Atlas bipods and I've tried numerous times to like them. The legs are slower to deploy and retract, and I hate the pan feature. The CAL doesn't have the pan but still has the legs I dislike. They're a little lighter than the TBAC thought.

The Cyke pods are nice but IMO not as nice as the TBAC and they weigh more. Even their lightweight one is well over a pound and they're stupid expensive.

Never used or owner the rokstedi, rugged or gunwerks but I wouldn't ever give gunwerks a dime of my money.
TBAC and Cykepod are my favorites, but not lightweight hunting.

The MDT grnd pod is nice and simple. I would carry it if I wanted a bipod.

I still feel like I need a bipod just in case, so I have the $100 carbon fiber Caldwell that gets it done. It won’t make anyone’s list, but it shot as well as the MDT grnd pod to me.