Bitten by the 8x32 bug… Thoughts?

Suggestions

• Total voters

ZackP

WKR
Recently I’ve been bitten by the want and desire for an 8x32 Bino.

I primarily hunt wide open desert here in SE Idaho. I can’t ever seem to draw a tag for a mountain unit so that’s a no issue. I also prefer the desert to be honest.

These would be used in conjunction with a 15x56 Bino and/or a spotting scope based off the areas I hunt.

My experience with 10x42’s has been favorable, with many near alphas tried and used. MHG, Razor, Genesis etc.
MHG being the only regret of selling.

My thoughts behind this aren’t necessarily for low light. I often locate animals anywhere from 1-2 miles out, bed them, and then pursue through fairly rough terrain. Keep in mind, much further, even during early mornings, mirage sets in rather quickly. I notice as I stop and make quick checks on my way over, I experience some shake hand holding.

Pack weight, rifle weight, sling, etc also aid to my exertion and shake when hand holding.

Primary purpose of the 8x32 would be weight, size, FOV, and easier hand hold on the trek over to said animal.

I guess I’m wondering if I’ll regret going to the 8x32. Although low light isn’t my priority with this purchase, there will be times I may want that extra few minutes.

Being that I found the Monarch HG superb to my eyes in almost every category (including weight) I’m considering another set instead of the 8x32 and being done with it.

FWIW the 8x32 at the top of my list is the Euro HD. I know I know… “Conquest HD” but I’m one of the Conquests don’t do it for me guys. The eye cups are atrocious and I find the glass lacking, compared to others in the same budget.

Sorry for the long post, this forums insight is always appreciated.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
If you know you love the Monarch HG, and you also carry 15's, I recommend the MHG in 8x42. The 10's are great for a do-it-all solution, but when you have a two bino system, the 8x make more sense than 10x for your chest bino.

BBob

WKR
I've been using 10x32 EL's for 15 or so years. Never use them on a tripod, that's what 15's and bigger glass are for. So from what you've said I wouldn't see any issue with 8x32's for your use. I definitely like the smaller package over the 42's especially for archery. I'm in line for a pair of NL 10x32's next.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
If you know you love the Monarch HG, and you also carry 15's, I recommend the MHG in 8x42. The 10's are great for a do-it-all solution, but when you have a two bino system, the 8x make more sense than 10x for your chest bino.

I have never peered through a pair of the 8x. How’s the edge clarity on them?
I've been using 10x32 EL's for 15 or so years. Never use them on a tripod, that's what 15's and bigger glass are for. So from what you've said I wouldn't see any issue with 8x32's for your use. I definitely like the smaller package over the 42's especially for archery. I'm in line for a pair of NL 10x32's next.

I do plan to add a stud on the 32’s if I go that route, well just because. Versatility I suppose and when mirage sets in I feel like they may be useful off a tripod.

I should mention the few hundred saved would be put towards a few gear upgrades!

i think they can be handy if you have a niche for them... i have had a set of 8x30 slc's for a few years, but just don't seem to use them... they work well and of course very user friendly, but i always just leave my full size binos in the harness and never switch to the 8x30 when i'm doing the type of hunting i got them for.... they were awesome "in theory" binos, but i just don't use them.... thought about turning them into "truck glass" but can't bring myself to do it, they will get beat up, and getting broke into isn't something i have faced, but i know it's always a possibility... i don't want to make it worth it if someone does.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
i think they can be handy if you have a niche for them... i have had a set of 8x30 slc's for a few years, but just don't seem to use them... they work well and of course very user friendly, but i always just leave my full size binos in the harness and never switch to the 8x30 when i'm doing the type of hunting i got them for.... they were awesome "in theory" binos, but i just don't use them.... thought about turning them into "truck glass" but can't bring myself to do it, they will get beat up, and getting broke into isn't something i have faced, but i know it's always a possibility... i don't want to make it worth it if someone does.

What’s your full size bino? Curious as to what makes them more worth it to carry over the 8x30 in your opinion?

In my very limited experience 8x32 in the best glass (I have Leica ultravid hd) is a downgrade from 8x42 in decent glass. I narrowed down to Swarovski SLC hd in 8x42 or ultravid hds in 8x32 and went with the Leica’s for portability but they really aren’t as great to look through. That choice was for deployments to Afghanistan where I had a lot of other stuff to carry. Now that I’m hunting I’d rather have the larger binoculars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bpurtz

WKR
I've usually carried either Leica 8x32 HD or Leica 8x42 HD and a separate rangefinder during bowhunting trips. Most of my bowhunting has been in timber and I definitely prefer the 8x42 in that geography.

If you are primarily in the desert and still plan on packing 15x the 8x32 might be a good lightweight choice...

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
I am super interested in hearing some opinions as well. I passed my 10x42 Conquest HD’s to my wife and am looking for a lighter 8x to go with Meopta 15x56. Having a 8x with super wide field of view to put on a tripod if you’re glassing closer areas and 15x for glassing over 1/2 mile makes a lot of sense to me.

The Nikon MHG 8x42 seems like a great option but I’ve never taken a look through one. The wide FOV and almost as light as a 32mm objective with the light gathering of a 42mm seems like a great combination. I looked through NL Pure 8x42 and it was better than I could have imagined, but I just need to decide if waiting to save for those or the 8x32 version is worth the sacrifice.

Broomd

WKR
I'm an 8 power guy as well, been that way for about 5-6 years and won't go back.
That said, if you're glassing open desert you might consider the 10x32's in any of the brands you mentioned. Here in North ID it's too thick to appreciate the 10's but down there, you'd likely be fine.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
I've usually carried either Leica 8x32 HD or Leica 8x42 HD and a separate rangefinder during bowhunting trips. Most of my bowhunting has been in timber and I definitely prefer the 8x42 in that geography.

If you are primarily in the desert and still plan on packing 15x the 8x32 might be a good lightweight choice...
I figured the 8x32 would be more beneficial in timber, but I have little to no experience hunting many thick areas.

I am super interested in hearing some opinions as well. I passed my 10x42 Conquest HD’s to my wife and am looking for a lighter 8x to go with Meopta 15x56. Having a 8x with super wide field of view to put on a tripod if you’re glassing closer areas and 15x for glassing over 1/2 mile makes a lot of sense to me.

The Nikon MHG 8x42 seems like a great option but I’ve never taken a look through one. The wide FOV and almost as light as a 32mm objective with the light gathering of a 42mm seems like a great combination. I looked through NL Pure 8x42 and it was better than I could have imagined, but I just need to decide if waiting to save for those or the 8x32 version is worth the sacrifice.

The 10X is a fantastic bino IMO leaving little to be desired. Although everyone’s eyes are different. Judging by the weight of the 2 bino’s I listed I’m leaning more towards an HG at this point, as the difference is only 3 OZ.
I'm an 8 power guy as well, been that way for about 5-6 years and won't go back.
That said, if you're glassing open desert you might consider the 10x32's in any of the brands you mentioned. Here in North ID it's too thick to appreciate the 10's but down there, you'd likely be fine.
I appreciate the input, and I know from seeing a few of your posts you’re quite experienced with the 32’s. Is there any drawbacks you find to them personally?

I could possibly add the Maven B3 to the list also. I don’t want to heavily invest in a 32 until I’m sold on there uses for me.

I absolutely loved the image of the 10.5’s I ordered from you awhile back. My gripe was the tripod adaptability (no stud). I also struggled with the diopter adjustment in and out of a harness. Seems like I was always re adjusting.
Unlike the 10.5X44 Gennys, the 8X33s have a threaded tripod adapter. Even at that, I still much prefer to use an RRS Cinch LR Elite instead of a stud. It's slides in and out without hanging up. I use the 10.5X44s with the cinch on the tripod and the 8X33s for free handing, in a bino harness. Never experienced a diopter problem.

They have the same spectacular image quality.

Last edited:
OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
Unlike the 10.5X44 Gennys, the 8X33s have a threaded tripod adapter. Even at that, I still much prefer to use an RRS Cinch LR Elite instead of a stud. It's slides in and out without hanging up. I use the 10.5X44s with the cinch on the tripod and the 8X33s for free handing, in a bino harness. Never experienced a diopter problem.

I used an Outdoorsman’s Bino hand with the 10.5’s and wasn’t fond of the mounting process compared to a stud system, which I much prefer.

My gloves/harness could’ve been my issue with the diopter. Do the 33’s exhibits soft edge?

I used an Outdoorsman’s Bino hand with the 10.5’s and wasn’t fond of the mounting process compared to a stud system, which I much prefer.

My gloves/harness could’ve been my issue with the diopter. Do the 33’s exhibits soft edge?
Well they do have a wide FOV, so I suppose it's possible. But my eyes tend to stay with the sweet spot. I couldn't force my eyes to the edges if I wanted to.

CoStick

WKR

Do the 8x33 take the outdoorsman stud? I checked with them last week and they stated as far as they know, their stud doesn’t work with any Kowa. Would be great if it did.

AGPank

WKR
I’m a big fan of the 8x32. I used 8x32 EL SV for years and don’t feel that I missed anything. They worked great for the area I hunt with thick cover and was still able to judge legal bulls around 700-800 yards even at last light.

I really liked the Meostar, but the ergonomics weren’t my favorite. They perform well above their price point.

The new Geovid 8x32 may be interesting. I’m holding out for a Noctivid 8x32.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk