Bivy Bag Recommendations

I'm after real world recommendations and experiences with bivy bags, I've usually always used one but my last one crapped out so time to upgrade. Thanks in advance

How are you planning to use it ? Stand alone shelter or simply an envelope to keep your bag and pad together in a floorless shelter ?

OP
S
Always done a bit of both, on a short weekend hunt after work if weather is fine and no huts available it'll be stand alone. Otherwise be used under a fly or in a Rincon

Wapiti151

WKR

fshaw

WKR
I have an OR Alpine Bivy and a US Military issue bivy that I’ve slept in stand alone, and a Borah that I haven’t slept in yet. I don’t care for the military bivy on my face (no hoop) and the OR is a bit tight and the waterproof layer is separating (older bivy). I will be buying a Big Agnes 3 wire for this coming fall as it has a bit more room and is easier entry than the OR Helium. The Borah is super light but not what I want for use without a tarp.

I think you should decide if you want a wired/framed version or something without structure that lighter but might be better used with a tarp.

I am a bivy fan. I tend to prefer the simpler versions and use a tarp when I need overhead cover. I used a 2# army bivy for years. Switched to OR - a little tight. Used a SOL - cheap and crinkly. I got a Bora and never looked back. Mine is long and extrawide and weighs 8oz. It sheds light precip fine but I run a dyneema tarp if it is going to rain. It’s also great for keeping my pad and bag together inside a shelter or for easy camp break down. Just deflate the pad and stuff the whole rig and go.

I have and have used hooped bivy like the OR helium. They are OK if they fit you well but they come in close to a pound. If you add a tarp for over head cover, you are starting to get close to the weight of a decent 1 person tent like a copper spur. 1# is also around the weight of some dyneema 1 person tents. My point is, if you look at the total weight of a structured bivy, you are getting into total weight territory where you could have a more comfortable one person shelter IMO.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

This is the one that I own- going on 10-12 years now. If you want stand alone ie one that is fully waterproof, not water resistant- this is a good one.

If you're thinking a water resistant one- Borah, MLD, others make them are a lot less weight the Soul.

I use mine when I have a very favorable forecast and in country where it's tougher to find a large enough space for a traditional shelter.

I also use mine in the dead of winter in snow caves and trenches.

If you go that route, go with the wider/larger version- just slightly heavier but more room for a thicker pad and higher loft bag.

Wapiti151

WKR
This is the one that I own- going on 10-12 years now. If you want stand alone ie one that is fully waterproof, not water resistant- this is a good one.

If you're thinking a water resistant one- Borah, MLD, others make them are a lot less weight the Soul.

I use mine when I have a very favorable forecast and in country where it's tougher to find a large enough space for a traditional shelter.

If you go that route, go with the wider/larger version- just slightly heavier but more room for a thicker pad and higher loft bag.
And after owning it, like me, you’ll probably never go with another. Super light, packable and when you want to protect your sleep system from any environment…this gets my vote.
As Warden said, I’ve been in this during great conditions, but I’ve also used a ton in floor-less shelters sleeping directly on snow and saturated, so called “ground” in AK. Keeps you and your system dry, and I’ve never had any moisture soak through.

IMO, buy it, seam seal it and don’t look back. You won’t be disappointed and you’ll have a bivvy that’ll cover you in all conditions, especially if you use floor-less shelters.

Wapiti151

WKR
And after owning it, like me, you’ll probably never go with another. Super light, packable and when you want to protect your sleep system from any environment…this gets my vote.
As Warden said, I’ve been in this during great conditions, but I’ve also used a ton in floor-less shelters sleeping directly on snow and saturated, so called “ground” in AK. Keeps you and your system dry, and I’ve never had any moisture soak through.

IMO, buy it, seam seal it and don’t look back. You won’t be disappointed and you’ll have a bivvy that’ll cover you in all conditions, especially if you use floor-less shelters.
Here’s a photo of weight/overall size of the MLD. This is the Large size, and seam sealed

Attachments

• IMG_0050.jpeg
    IMG_0050.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 34
OP
S
Think I'll go the Soul route then, looks far better than what I've used in the past. Not too bad of a price shipped to New Zealand either. Cheers fellas

I’ve used several different Borah Gear bivys over the years with zero complaints. I’d buy another one with no hesitation. John customizes the bivy any way you’d like and I’ve never received any bivy that wasn’t exactly as we discussed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti151

WKR
Think I'll go the Soul route then, looks far better than what I've used in the past. Not too bad of a price shipped to New Zealand either. Cheers fellas
You will be very happy with it! Just make sure you seam seal, he will ship you a tube with the bivvy.

fshaw

WKR

I had missed this one on my search for one. I will probably shift to this one in large over the 3 Wire. Thanks for posting it.

donald_pomerleau

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used several different Borah Gear bivys over the years with zero complaints. I’d buy another one with no hesitation. John customizes the bivy any way you’d like and I’ve never received any bivy that wasn’t exactly as we discussed.

Very interested in these bivys. Do you still use a ground sheet under them? What customizing have you had them do? I like the idea of the side zipper for ease of getting in and out