Black Diamond Headlamp

What are you all using? Used for both truck camping and packing in. Have never used BD before so hoping for real life experience. Thanks!

Rodéo

WKR
I picked up a BD storm 350 to use this last season for waterfowl and it was good. I can vouch for it's waterproof-ness but it does eat batteries (and it takes 4 of them). I replaced them once and the new ones are on their last legs. 2 sets of batteries over 3 months of use is kinda bad.

Pros:
Bright
Good adjustability and customization (you can set it so it remembers your settings which is nice)
Really waterproof
3 different features and many different sub-features never left me wanting more in terms of options.

Cons:
Bulky
Kind of heavy compared to others
Eats batteries

Got it on a nice sale so I'm satisfied but not sure I would be for full price.

sargent

WKR
I have the Spot. It's a pretty nice light with lots of options and adjustability. The single button control takes a little time to learn.

wyosteve

WKR
I have an Icon I believe. Very satisfied with it. Good beam and covers some distance.

mlgc20

WKR
I have a handful of Storms and a handful of Spots. I've never had an issues with any of them over the years. If you leave them on high, they will go through batteries pretty quickly. But, I rarely use it on that setting. Nice to have the extra brightness as an option though.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
What are you all using? Used for both truck camping and packing in. Have never used BD before so hoping for real life experience. Thanks!

I have a boxful of them... and everyone has a crappy red floodlight
I EVEN CALLED BD AND TALKED TO THEIR ENGINEER.... they switched sometime in 2012 ish
In the market for a headlamp with a bright Red SPOTLIGHT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LionHead

WKR
I swore by the green energizer headlamps at home depot and still keep them around the house and truck. For $20 they do the trick and will usually make 4-5 days camp use while hunting.

Last season I switched to a BD cosmo for the lockout feature, I got tired of having my headlamp switch on in my pouch and drain the batteries.

The cosmo is one of the cheaper BD offerings but I like it so far. The red lamp is much better than the energizer and is dimmable for in tent use

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I swore by the green energizer headlamps at home depot and still keep them around the house and truck. For $20 they do the trick and will usually make 4-5 days camp use while hunting.

Last season I switched to a BD cosmo for the lockout feature, I got tired of having my headlamp switch on in my pouch and drain the batteries.

The cosmo is one of the cheaper BD offerings but I like it so far. The red lamp is much better than the energizer and is dimmable for in tent use

Funny that you mentioned..... Enigizer headlamp is what I used

I was rummaging through all my gear and I tested 7 headlamps in my shop with the lights off. It’s was by far, the brightest/best RED light. The only annoying part, was that you could easily pull the lamp off of the headband if your weren’t careful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LionHead

WKR
. The only annoying part, was that you could easily pull the lamp off of the headband if your weren’t carefulk

Oh yea that happened a lot too. They're still great little lights. Hell I used em exclusively for like 5 years when I was hunting poor. I used to tape cardboard over the on switch for my spare energizer in my lid hahaha

After I upgraded a few things like boots and optics I decided the light situation needed an upgrade too.

Ralphie

WKR
Got a storm last summer, my first upgrade into a ”nice” headlamp. Very disappointed, it is pathetically bright with fresh batteries. My 13 year old son and I were just outside after dark and he was laughing at me while using one of the cheap energizer headlamps. I guess I’ll be testing out their warranty.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Oh yea that happened a lot too. They're still great little lights. Hell I used em exclusively for like 5 years when I was hunting poor. I used to tape cardboard over the on switch for my spare energizer in my lid hahaha

After I upgraded a few things like boots and optics I decided the light situation needed an upgrade too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also have a storm and have used it a lot the last 4 seasons. Waterproof and durable but definitely eats batteries very fast which dims it considerably way too quickly. Gonna try something new this year.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

lvtuna

FNG
The Spot works great for my needs. The one button mode setting is confusing if you do not follow directions. It has a lock off feature that saves batteries. I also use it canyoneering. So it gets wet and still works.

hikenhunt

WKR
I have a bunch of headlamps and two of them are Spots. They are my go-to headlamps for the most part. If you don't use them frequently, you forgot the one button modes, but I like the simplicity of one button when wearing gloves.

Elknutty

FNG
Icon with energizer lithium batteries. I’ve had the headlamp for about 13 years and still going strong.

I run the Petzl Tactikka. Love the rechargable battery. Always have black diamond in my E kit as backup.