Black Eagle Spartans?

twunt

FNG
anyone have any input or reviews on these? I know they are fairly new and possibly not many kicking around out there yet. Looking at the 300s or 250s with the black eagle SS insert.

Coming from CE maxima red 350s which prove to be under-spined for the weight I want to run.

thanks in advance

jeffy

FNG
not alot of help just yet but i have some 350s with ss inserts and 30gn weights added on the way as we speak. i too am concerned about being slightly underspined with this setup, and was initially leaning towards the 300s but found a set of 350s for sale at a price that i just couldnt pass up. i currently run 350s now and they are fine but the added weight might push me just over the limit. i will be glad to post up my impressions as soon as i receive them and how they go once i start shooting them.

bates

WKR
I fletched up a few the other day.

300's with the 30g inserts. 460g total

Haven't shot yet but I like the inserts and they are the best spinning arrows on my bench

That includes axis, koas, pierce

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
I'm using these. 250's with the SS inserts and 30g point weights. 536g per stick. They were great spinning out of the box. I actually cut off the nock bushing end when I cut them down. I tried to get them to send the shafts without the nock bushings glued in, but "they couldn't bc that's how they are stocked". Made no sense to me, but had to cut them off so I could work up the point weight system I wanted before I glued everything in. Made my own tool for screwing in/out the point weights bc they don't make one. Also, the weights won't fit through the nock bushing! Which is another reason I cut them off and bought an extra set. Just pressed them back in with the plastic bag spacing trick.

I'm really liking the way these fly. I haven't stretched them out yet, because I'm waiting for my new sight to get here. Field points are all hitting well at 30. Haven't thrown any practice broadheads on yet. I was a little worried about being underspined myself, but that hasn't been the case. By the time I was done fletching and installing all components, they were all within .1 grain. Components themselves were all pretty close to stated weights. Try 'em, you'll like 'em.

OP
T

twunt

FNG
ww42, thanks. what length are you cut at and what head do you have in there for 536gr total? Only the 30gr upfront?

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
ww42, thanks. what length are you cut at and what head do you have in there for 536gr total? Only the 30gr upfront?

I have a 32" draw, so that may skew a little. But, these are the component weights according to manufacturers.
The shaft (only) length is 30 5/8" = 306g approx.
SS Insert = 26g
Field Tip/BH = 125g
Screw In Brass Point Weight = 30g
SS Nock Bushing = 10g
R Nock = 9g
AAE Max Stealth Vane X3 = 22.5g
Glue for insert and Vanes + Plastic Bag for Bushing = 7.7g (this is estimate based on total weight minus the above)
________
536.2 average. Low 536.1, High 536.3

I also bought the 75g brass point weights and shot the arrows at 506 (without weight), 581 (75g only) , 611g (30 and 70 stacked).
Was pulling 79# at the time. My goal was to shoot >285. Top weight was too slow, even at that draw weight. 581 still qualified for what i wanted and flew fine, but I opted for the 536 knowing it allowed me to back my poundage down and still stay above 285 ft/sec. I don't have a bow scale of my own, but I took 1.5 turns off my limb bolts on my Hoyt CS ZT LD, and am throwing those 536g arrows at 288-290.

Last edited:
OP
T

twunt

FNG
Awesome. Thanks for the breakdown. Much appreciated. Gonna track some of these down.
I'm at 70 and 30". Looking to run around 500gr total weight.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say go for the 250's, but I'm not an expert. I'd rather be "over-spined" than under. This was the second time I've built a full set of arrows and I kind of enjoyed it. I can be pretty Type A so I liked weighing and matching components and all. I got them bare shaft (no fletching) since I would be cutting off the nock bushing. (that little bit of info about not being able to put the brass insert down through the bushing was trial and a lot of error. About a dozen arrows worth of error!!! :mad:) Which reminds me, I have a dozen fletched, 506g Spartan 250s for sale! Lol.