Black widow or silvertip?

Having a hard time choosing what new bow to get. What is everyone take on these two brands? Thanks for the feedback.

Beendare

WKR
I've had the pleasure of shooting both- and liked both of them.

I did the try before you buy program with BW.....and really liked the 64" med grip [over the Toby]

The Silvertip I shot at a tourney was short for me- 60"...but I could tell it was a nice bow.

I don't think you can go wrong with either- both excellent bows. The BW runs a little bit more forward grip which points and settles in at full draw nicely.... but you lose a tiny bit of efficiency. Hard to describe the feel...you really need to shoot the BW. Every one I know likes them. They run a little bit higher BH with that forward handle and on their largest riser- the PMA- its really stable at full draw because of that.

I never ended up owning either as I preferred my ILF setups over those.

Tradchef

WKR
Both are sweet and both will do well for you. If you can test them both side by side it would be more of a personal preference. I know Widow does a test drive program....not sure about Schaffer.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Both top notch bows built by top notch people. I love everything about Black Widows but the grip; the standard grip I’ve not tried the Asbel, Cooling, or Snyder grip. The Silvertip grip is one of the best in the business, the only one better is the TallTines.

Definitely all BW and ST, they will both send you a bow to try.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You should really shoot both. I grew up enamored with BW, til I shot a few. I just don't shoot them as well as other brands, and I've tried several of their grips. Every ST I've shot has been a great shooting bow, but that's MY experience. Trad bows are like boots, you'll know when you find the right one. Why limit yourself to two choices?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Jeremiah Dehnert
You should really shoot both. I grew up enamored with BW, til I shot a few. I just don't shoot them as well as other brands, and I've tried several of their grips. Every ST I've shot has been a great shooting bow, but that's MY experience. Trad bows are like boots, you'll know when you find the right one. Why limit yourself to two choices?

I have shot a lot of different trad bows. BW and ST have kinda been my dream bows. Been trying to find used ones that fit my poundage but hard to come by.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have shot a lot of different trad bows. BW and ST have kinda been my dream bows. Been trying to find used ones that fit my poundage but hard to come by.
Where do you live? I would suggest going to one of the big trad only shoots and shooting as many bows as you can lay hands on. Unlike compounds, most trad guys will let you shoot their bows. That's how I quickly eliminated a lot that I had on my list. Money well spent to lay hands on a lot of bows over a weekend.

manitou1

WKR
I don't know about the ST, but it may be worth your while to fly down to BW and spend a day or two shooting their bows. They have multiples of all their models in various lengths and draw weights and will spend time with you shooting them. If you decide to buy, you can physically look at their laminates and pick your riser and limb laminations/colors as-well-as limb tips, etc. They will build a custom for you with the components you choose. BW is a great bow with a great history and even better people.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you pick ST or Blacktail you'll have a year or more to think about it. They have a wait list for a reason. Might as well throw TallTines in too, really close in looks to a Silvertip and great shooting bows. TT and BW are CNC machined risers, I know Blacktail scaled up production from what they used to be able to produce, but not sure if they are more hands on or automated now.

Agross

WKR
I've never shot a BW, but I loved the tip i owned. Just always been drawn to the silvertips Would like to try out a tall tines Really like the looks of em as well

Here's another one worth looking at. Last year I bought a reflex-reflex longbow for my son from Toelke Archery. They make some really nice bows and can make one to fit your draw length and poundage you want. Both my son and I have about a 30" draw length or just a bit more so they made him 52# bow at 30" of draw length. I liked the bow he got a LOT! I'm going to order one for myself. If you can come to the Columbia Falls (Schaffer) and Ronan (Toelke) MT. area, both of these places are not too far apart from Kalispell in between the two of them. Worth a trip to shoot some of the bows that each make.

ScottinPA

WKR
I own 4 tips and only test shot a BW. The tip just fit me better. I've owned Hummingbird and Bears in the past.

IMO, shoot a bunch of different bows to see what works for you. Lots of good choices. Find a trad show near you and shoot whatever strikes your fancy, new and used.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Like Steve O said, they will both send you a bow to try out for only the cost of shipping. I think that's a great investment before dropping $1,500 on a new bow. I'd try to time it so you have them at the same time so you can do a true side by side comparison. I did and ended up with a BW. I think I'd have been perfectly happy with the ST too though. To me the fit and finish on them is about the same (as good as it gets). I slightly prefer the BW grip (in their low wrist version). The biggest downside for me to the ST was the wait time.

OP
Jeremiah Dehnert
Where do you live? I would suggest going to one of the big trad only shoots and shooting as many bows as you can lay hands on. Unlike compounds, most trad guys will let you shoot their bows. That's how I quickly eliminated a lot that I had on my list. Money well spent to lay hands on a lot of bows over a weekend.

I’m from north Idaho

Wrench

WKR
You can't go wrong with any mentioned in this thread. South is turning out some dang nice bows too. I have one of his and some Toelkes if they ever come up on your radar....I'm in your area.

Tall Tines, Schafer, Caribow, Robertson, Widow, Blacktail, Zipper, Morrison.... all names I've owned and killed game with. You could pull any of these names out of a hat and I'd be more than satisfied to own and hunt with that bow, For years.

However, if you pinned me down today and made me pick....it would be one of the first 3 names. They will build you your custom bow....not theirs. Again, you can't go wrong with any well established name.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m from north Idaho
Wengerd is in Heron, MT. Toelke in Ronan, and RER in Bozeman. Western States Traditional Rendezvous is towards the end of May in Lolo Hot Springs in MT. That'll be a good chance to check out a lot of different bows. Forgot to mention, but Thunderhorn is just outside of Hamilton, MT also.

OP
Jeremiah Dehnert
Wengerd is in Heron, MT. Toelke in Ronan, and RER in Bozeman. Western States Traditional Rendezvous is towards the end of May in Lolo Hot Springs in MT. That'll be a good chance to check out a lot of different bows. Forgot to mention, but Thunderhorn is just outside of Hamilton, MT also.

I am going to try and make it out there this year thanks for the advice