Blackhorn 209 hang fire

Zew

FNG
If you shoot BH 209 you HAVE to have the proper breach plug. It's not just a larger flash channel but its recessed to get the powder closer to the primer. With out the proper tools you will be frustrated. I trust it enough I'd hunt griz with it. Screenshot_20200115-060900_Chrome.jpg

OXN939

WKR
If you shoot BH 209 you HAVE to have the proper breach plug. It's not just a larger flash channel but its recessed to get the powder closer to the primer. With out the proper tools you will be frustrated. I trust it enough I'd hunt griz with it. View attachment 146745

Just for the record, that's the exact breech plug I experienced 3 misfires out of 7 rounds with last week. Right primers, loaded correctly. Meticulously cleaned flash hole, flash channel and entire interior of breech plug between each shot. Who knows, maybe I got a second bad batch.

Zew

FNG
Just for the record, that's the exact breech plug I experienced 3 misfires out of 7 rounds with last week. Right primers, loaded correctly. Meticulously cleaned flash hole, flash channel and entire interior of breech plug between each shot. Who knows, maybe I got a second bad batch.
Maybe it's a bad breech plug? Man I'm bummed out to hear that. I can't see it being bad powder twice. Maybe give Nobel Primers a try.

OXN939

WKR
Put this breech plug in your CVA and if it doesn't go bang, YOU are doing something very wrong.
You will never have to replace this plug.

I love absolute statements like this. "There is ZERO POSSIBILITY that Western Powders has ever put out a bad batch of ANY POWDER EVER." Sweet dude.

Maybe it's a bad breech plug? Man I'm bummed out to hear that. I can't see it being bad powder twice. Maybe give Nobel Primers a try.

I know man. I wanted so badly to love this stuff. The cleanup is just a breeze, and it does seem consistent. But reliable ignition is my #1. The breech plug I'm using is brad new and meticulously cared for. To be honest, I'll probably keep using it in my Wolf for the convenience as long as I don't have an FTF using the obnoxiously thorough cleaning procedures I follow. But yeah. No way I'm using it on a hunt I have to fly to.

ENCORE

WKR
I love absolute statements like this. "There is ZERO POSSIBILITY that Western Powders has ever put out a bad batch of ANY POWDER EVER." Sweet dude.

I know man. I wanted so badly to love this stuff. The cleanup is just a breeze, and it does seem consistent. But reliable ignition is my #1. The breech plug I'm using is brad new and meticulously cared for. To be honest, I'll probably keep using it in my Wolf for the convenience as long as I don't have an FTF using the obnoxiously thorough cleaning procedures I follow. But yeah. No way I'm using it on a hunt I have to fly to.

I don't recall anyone stating there is zero possibility, but I'm not looking back through every post either. It was NOT in the post you quoted of mine.

BH209 became available a decade ago and I can't count the pounds of it I've shot. Last fall I went through 5#'s in 3 months and another approximately 2.5# prior to hunting. I've shot it in TC Encore platform rifles, a BP Xpress and currently a 45cal custom. I've helped many setup their CVA rifles, specifically the Optima and Accura V2 rifles. There has not been a been a single FTF or HF from any of these rifles.
That's not to say someone else may not have a continuous problem.

With the proper breech plug, a CCI209M or Federal 209A primer, or the new LRMP systems, a tight fitting sabot/bullet combination, seated tightly on the propellant, it will work. I does for thousands of shooters. If it doesn't, rather one is willing to admit it or not, there's either an operator problem, or a SIGNIFICENT mechanical issue someplace.

When winning a highly competitive Modern Inline National Championship is on the line, the winning shooters are shooting BH209 in the inline aggs and matches. The results are undisputable.

Myself, I have 100% confidence with BH209 in my rifle hunting any game in North America.

I would suggest that if someone doesn't have confidence in it, there are other alternatives.

OXN939

WKR

I’ll take your bad bh209 powered. My TC will eat it up. Sorry your muzzy is having issues.

CorbLand

WKR

I will say that it sounds weird that it won’t work in multiple guns. I didn’t catch if you bought another jug or not but I have both guns you mentioned and have shot plenty BH through both. Never once have I had a misfire or hang fire. If it’s the same jug and you have tried it in multiple guns with different primers then it’s the powder. If you haven’t done that, then I could be a lot of things.

If you did try two different jugs of powder and your having the same problems then it’s most likely something on your end. The possibility of them producing bad powder is there. The probability that you happen to buy two jugs a year apart that are bad is extremely low.

Either way shoot what you want and move on, nobody ******* cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I know about Primer Fit 👍 In fact my Video on Headspacing a Knight Rifle for Proper Primer “Crush” was made a “Sticky” on another Forum. This Stil would not ignite my “Slip Fit” Target Loads, Reliably anyway.

Thanks for this, Idaholewis! Any experience doing the same with a break-action like the Traditions Buckstalker? I think it could still help - I definitely think I'm getting to much blowback around the primer.

And get that other posters are recommending using a BH209-specific plug... only Traditions doesn't have one!

I'll give this a try and see if I can get it up and running.

tdhanses

WKR

What cleaner did you use, maybe Knight just has the breech design down in their 209 setup which is why I’ve never had an issue.

OXN939

WKR
I will say that it sounds weird that it won’t work in multiple guns. I didn’t catch if you bought another jug or not but I have both guns you mentioned and have shot plenty BH through both. Never once have I had a misfire or hang fire. If it’s the same jug and you have tried it in multiple guns with different primers then it’s the powder. If you haven’t done that, then I could be a lot of things.

If you did try two different jugs of powder and your having the same problems then it’s most likely something on your end. The possibility of them producing bad powder is there. The probability that you happen to buy two jugs a year apart that are bad is extremely low.

Either way shoot what you want and move on, nobody ******* cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two different jugs, three guns. Jug one of BH209 "worked" in zero of them. Hangfires every second or third round no matter what primers, cleaning procedures, breech plugs etc were used. Jug two works in 2/3 rifles consistently *if* I meticulously clean bore, breech plug, flash channel and flash hole after every round.

777 works in 3/3 rifles at a rate of, so far, 100%. Swab the crud ring between rounds and ensure patency of the flash hole with a torch tip cleaner every 4 or 5, usually.

CorbLand

WKR
Two different jugs, three guns. Jug one of BH209 "worked" in zero of them. Hangfires every second or third round no matter what primers, cleaning procedures, breech plugs etc were used. Jug two works in 2/3 rifles consistently *if* I meticulously clean bore, breech plug, flash channel and flash hole after every round.

777 works in 3/3 rifles at a rate of, so far, 100%. Swab the crud ring between rounds and ensure patency of the flash hole with a torch tip cleaner every 4 or 5, usually.

Man I don't know what to tell you and I know this is not what you want to hear but its got to be something with your guns or you. The likely hood of getting two bad jugs of it are slim. I have shot through two personally and probably about 10 in my group of friends and we have never had a single problem with it. I dont say this as a negative towards you. Every gun is different and likes different things.

Does anyone know the anyone know the laws around shipping powder? This has me extremely curious and I would love to have you ship me a couple tubes of it to try in my guns.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I started running the stuff about 5 years ago and have put 15+ pounds though 8-10 guns. Helped several of my buddies convert over in that same timeframe. Sold muzzleloaders at a sporting goods store and converted dozens of customers over and have never heard of someone having a hangfire unless they weren't using the proper breech plug or primers. I'm guessing the issues are with the cleaning process/products. Have you looked to see if the 2 pounds you have are the same lot number? Love BH209 and sing it's praises to anyone who will listen

ENCORE

WKR
…………………..Does anyone know the anyone know the laws around shipping powder? This has me extremely curious and I would love to have you ship me a couple tubes of it to try in my guns.

The U.S. Department of Transportation, Code of Federal Regulations, 49CFR Part 172, Subpart H, mandates training for all individuals involved in the transportation of hazardous materials. Anyone involved in shipping HAZMAT is required by the DOT to have been trained, and proof of training; whether that person is filling out paperwork, transporting it, or simply making the box to ship it.

OXN939

WKR
Man I don't know what to tell you and I know this is not what you want to hear but its got to be something with your guns or you. The likely hood of getting two bad jugs of it are slim. I have shot through two personally and probably about 10 in my group of friends and we have never had a single problem with it. I dont say this as a negative towards you. Every gun is different and likes different things.

Does anyone know the anyone know the laws around shipping powder? This has me extremely curious and I would love to have you ship me a couple tubes of it to try in my guns.

Certainly could be something with me or my guns. But neither my guns nor I have ever had any problem with any other blackpowder substitute of any kind in years of hunting... so, depending on which way you look at it... it could also be that BH209 is finicky and easily prevented from reliable ignition.

Idaholewis said it best- if it works for you and you're comfortable with it, use it!