Blackhorn 209 verification

For muzzy elk, as others have said, 300 grs. + for elk. I would recommend 70-80 grs. by weight or more if your wife can handle the recoil. With opens sights need to get closer. 50-100 yd. shots for most mere mortals.

Last edited:

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I have shot that from both a Knight Ultra-Lite and a Mountaineer.

Then you will not be able to reliably ignite BH-209. Percussion cap ignition is required in Idaho during ML sesaon.

The 1081 will work very well with T7 and other BP subs, other than BH.

I prefer to use a #11 Mag cap, but certainly a the 1081 will do the job.
Yes, I have shot that from both a Knight Ultra-Lite and a Mountaineer.

Then you will not be able to reliably ignite BH-209. Percussion cap ignition is required in Idaho during ML sesaon.

The 1081 will work very well with T7 and other BP subs, other than BH.

I prefer to use a #11 Mag cap, but certainly a the 1081 will do the job.
@sabotloader I hope you don’t mind but I sent you a PM with a question so I don’t hijack the OPs thread

OP
Arbutusbucks
A 250 gr bullet is sufficient but not ideal for elk. I’ve killed or been on a number of muzzy elk kills. I’d recommend a bullet of at least 300 grains. And 70 grW is a light charge. I’d shoot the max load (120 grV) if it were me. Elk are tough.

I appreciate the info. Thank you!

Hey Muzz Aficianados,

I have an elk hunt in co and wife drew a muzz hunt nm this year. Basically with some recommendations on this site I picked up a knight ultralight and I am shooting 70gr by weight of bh209 with a Thor 250gr bullet. I know it has been hashed and rehashed before but my 70gr by weight of bh209+250gr bullet is sufficient elk medicine correct?
I have killed 5 elk with my bow but I am new to muzzleloading. I look forward to the extra range but there are more opinions on what works with muzzleloading than archery. Anyway, fire away.

Muzzy in NM, it is probable your shots will be under 100 yds (especially with open sights). 70 grs by weight and a 250 gr bullet would be sufficient.

tracker12

WKR
Any quality bullet 250 grains and up pushed at the right velocity meant for hunting will work. I would try checking my velocity more than fretting over 70-75 grains by weight. It's not how much powder. you stuff in as much and what the powder you stuff in does with the selected bullets. I killed my first muzzy elk with 250 gram Hornady STP and second with a 300 grain Barnes expander. Both lung shots and quick kills. I lean more towards heavier bullets these days but coppers are pretty lethal I am also shooting a Knight UL.

I might bump up the powder charge slightly. But then again, open sights should keep those shot opportunities fairly close.

Ark_18

FNG
Have you tried bumping up the charge a bit more? If you can stand it, a little more built in forgiveness won't hurt anything.

OP
Arbutusbucks
Not that anyone cares but I rarely start a thread so figure I’ll keep everyone posted. I bumped the charge up to 120gr volume of bh209, 330gr fury bullet. I’m shooting 3 inch groups at 100, 10 inch groups at 150. I know it’s me, not the gun, because my wife shoots 2 inch groups with it.

I’m actually enjoying it now that I’m more comfortable with everything. I appreciate everyone’s responses.

Not that anyone cares but I rarely start a thread so figure I’ll keep everyone posted. I bumped the charge up to 120gr volume of bh209, 330gr fury bullet. I’m shooting 3 inch groups at 100, 10 inch groups at 150. I know it’s me, not the gun, because my wife shoots 2 inch groups with it.

I’m actually enjoying it now that I’m more comfortable with everything. I appreciate everyone’s responses.
I'd be concerned with the groups opening up that much at 150. My inline shoots pretty good groups still at 200 with BH209. If you're wife is shooting 2" groups at the same distance you must be pulling or have a hell of a flinch. 10" at 150 I wouldn't deem ready to hunt.

OP
Arbutusbucks
A 250 gr bullet is sufficient but not ideal for elk. I’ve killed or been on a number of muzzy elk kills. I’d recommend a bullet of at least 300 grains. And 70 grW is a light charge. I’d shoot the max load (120 grV) if it were me. Elk are tough.

I'd be concerned with the groups opening up that much at 150. My inline shoots pretty good groups still at 200 with BH209. If you're wife is shooting 2" groups at the same distance you must be pulling or have a hell of a flinch. 10" at 150 I wouldn't deem ready to hunt.

Its definitely me not the firearm. Its also open sights so, my vision also has a lot to do with it. I am not planning on shooting past 100 anyway for hunting but thought I would test out 150.

Its definitely me not the firearm. Its also open sights so, my vision also has a lot to do with it. I am not planning on shooting past 100 anyway for hunting but thought I would test out 150.
I understand. Open sights is tough. I've been getting my sidelock ready for a restricted muzzleloader hunt. The front globe sight with Lee shaver inserts and the Lyman peep has helped me immensely.

OP
Arbutusbucks
Well, Colorado went well first evening there killed a nice 6x6 @ 95 yards. Shot was a little farther back than I’d like, bull went down in 200-250ish yards. The Fury Universal 330gr universal fit expanded well, it did not pass through but I found it in the hide on the opposite side of the bull. Retained weight on the bullet was 287gr. I’d say everything from the gun to the load did it’s job. Anyway, my wife’s on deck next. Thanks for everyone’s help and advice.

(Yes, I had an orange vest on per law but I took it off for pictures just because it looked kind of sloppy)
C131CD08-93FE-43DE-A2EE-6E1E0CACEB89.jpeg