Blackhorn breech plug issue with CVA Accura

optic2

FNG
I just installed a Blackhorn 209 breech plug into my CVA Accura and it isn't fitting correctly. Either the action won't fully close or when it does I can't get the hammer to cock. While I have read that you don't need grease on the plug for Blackhorn 209, the packaging that the breech plug came in says to use it (the Blackhorn 209 breech plug I'm using is made by CVA).

I never use grease on any breechplugs any more. Have been using the regular white Teflon tape around the threads. I use almost exclusively BH 209. Not sure that will fix your problem though because you don’t want the breechplug super tight

ENCORE

WKR
I just installed a Blackhorn 209 breech plug into my CVA Accura and it isn't fitting correctly. Either the action won't fully close or when it does I can't get the hammer to cock. While I have read that you don't need grease on the plug for Blackhorn 209, the packaging that the breech plug came in says to use it (the Blackhorn 209 breech plug I'm using is made by CVA).
I'm pretty sure that when you first install the BH209 plugs in CVA rifles, you have to use the tool and tighten it down TIGHT. Once tightened, loosen it back up with the tool. From that point on its finger tight.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
I second the use of the wrench to tighten the plug the first time. I have resorted to some anti-seize grease as a precaution. After allot of range time, I have had an instance or two when the plug was a little tough to remove.
Check the depth of your firing pin nut too. Sometimes they can work their way out which reduces space. It should be snug but not too tight.

3x on using the tool to get it tight then it’s finger tight after that. I just had this exact issue on my new cva accura mr. also make sure you’re using a little bit of force to close the gun. I noticed when I eased it shut the hammer did not want to cock. This was before I used the tool to tighten the breech plug as stated in the manual though so I would start there.

For those having issues with the hammer not cocking when the gun doesn't lock up tight, do you also notice that the trigger guard/break action lever has some slop to it when the break action isn't locked up tight? When my BP is out mine locks up and the release lever is tight to the gun , but when the BP is in I have aboue 1/4" of play in the lever.

For those having issues with the hammer not cocking when the gun doesn't lock up tight, do you also notice that the trigger guard/break action lever has some slop to it when the break action isn't locked up tight? When my BP is out mine locks up and the release lever is tight to the gun , but when the BP is in I have aboue 1/4" of play in the lever.
Make sure that not just the breechplug has been tightened with the tool, but also the firing pin bushing has to be tightened down too. Not torqued, but snug. Flush with the breech face. If it sticking out it can interfere with the breech plug. If it is recessed, inset, you may be more likely to get loose, leaky primers.
So, tighten down your breech plug with the L tool as tight as you can by hand. Then loosen it and reinstall it hand tight. Then using the flat forked pimer installer tool, tighten down the firing pin bushing. Hard to over tighten it with that little fork. See if that helps your lockup. Then cock it and see if it cocks and fires. (Obviously do this on an unloaded gun) If you still have a loose lever, call cva. If the firing pin bushing is recessed and you get blowby call cva. They usually want the gun back to shim the bushing. Youve got a lifetime warranty may as well use it. I only had to send back one ML to them and they got it fixed and back to me 7n 2 weeks.

Good to know. The firing pin bushing is perfectly flush. I will try to find my BP tool and tighten it again, but if that doesn't work I will contact CVA. It doesn't affect performance, but it is annoying to have the lever flopping and clanking.

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
Repeat tightening process with the supplied. The tool allows you to seal the internals of the breech plug, so that you basically get a custom fit to each individual gun. There is a failsafe built in to the plug so that the hammer will not cock if the plug isn't completely sealed. This is mentioned in the installation instructions on the back of the package.