Blaser

Bravo6

FNG
I just bought a Blaser R8 package at an auction. I have cut my teeth on Tikka & Sako rifles, which I have always thought were the finest rifles on the planet. The more that I evaluate the Blaser, I am starting to realize it is on a different plane than most traditional rifles. I took the scope mounts off, put them back on and 1/2" group at 100 yards. Based on my sample size of one, absolutely impeccable repeateability in a takedown system.

Not knowing anything about Blaser, and never having fired one. I can easily take down and swap barrels on these things really easily.

The only downside I can see, is that they might be a little heavy for a mountain rifle. For most scenarios, the slight heaviness of the Blaser might be a great positive. With a great sling, it isn't noticeable.

I am not a Blaser expert by any means, I am just working with one for a few weeks, I'm sure you can find someone who has more expertise than me out there.

OP
F
I just bought a Blaser R8 package at an auction. I have cut my teeth on Tikka & Sako rifles, which I have always thought were the finest rifles on the planet. The more that I evaluate the Blaser, I am starting to realize it is on a different plane than most traditional rifles. I took the scope mounts off, put them back on and 1/2" group at 100 yards. Based on my sample size of one, absolutely impeccable repeateability in a takedown system.

Not knowing anything about Blaser, and never having fired one. I can easily take down and swap barrels on these things really easily.

The only downside I can see, is that they might be a little heavy for a mountain rifle. For most scenarios, the slight heaviness of the Blaser might be a great positive. With a great sling, it isn't noticeable.

I am not a Blaser expert by any means, I am just working with one for a few weeks, I'm sure you can find someone who has more expertise than me out there.
Can I ask what auction you found it on? I have not started looking for one yet. I am back to living the college poors, and do not want to be too tempted. That is, unless I was able to find one for dirt cheap and had at least one caliber I want.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Bravo6, next time, take the scope off between each shot. You will be impressed. Then after that, disassemble the rifle completely, including the scope and put it back together between each shot of the group. Then it gets really impressive. They are pretty special rifles, not being custom or anything…

Last edited:
Lives and hunted in Germany for a few years. Had never heard of them until then and now I own two. My R8 pictures and bergsrurzen(over under rifle) top barrel shoots 5.6x50R and 7x65R. Can't express how much I love this rifle and it's modularity. Have owned several different barrels for the R8 and they have shot 1/2" ish groups with load development. But always still under 1" with almost any factory loads. My buddies 308 did not like federal fusion though.

I highly recommend if your in the market for a high end rifle don't wast your time on all of these carbon this and carbon that's. Get a blaser they are almost guaranteed to be more accurate and have nicer trigger. If you really want carbon. Blaser does offer that too but you are most certainly going to pay for it!!20220221_090223.jpg

TomJoad

WKR
I hunt with a blaser k95. Modularity with all blaser platforms are outstanding. I have a 30-06 and 6.5x55 Stutzen barrels. Aside from ridiculous accuracy, this gun is 6lbs scoped and breaks in half to a 20” package with no tools in about 5 seconds. Amazing backpack hunting gun.

A069DD0F-3483-4214-808C-206FCF120D20.jpegF980EB63-5CBC-4E81-A061-EF1A607FF2FB.jpeg

Sprunk

FNG
I hunt with a blaser k95. Modularity with all blaser platforms are outstanding. I have a 30-06 and 6.5x55 Stutzen barrels. Aside from ridiculous accuracy, this gun is 6lbs scoped and breaks in half to a 20” package with no tools in about 5 seconds. Amazing backpack hunting gun.

Wow that is a gorgeous rifle! 😍

BjornF16

WKR
Been looking...are their "standard" barrels extremely accurate or do you have to get their "match" barrels?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Standard barrels are extremely accurate. Match barrels are heavier and fluted…it’s a contour thing not an accuracy thing.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes it is a carbon stock; a friend of mine built it. He goes in and out of building them. Mostly out. I’m very glad to have it and have zero complaints. Makes it lighter and I never ever worry about field conditions.

The wood stocks work good too but I never was happy with the finish. Drew a really special tag in Arizona last year and decided I should make it to my liking.

4B0A22CA-0632-49BA-AE82-6B00D31341B0.jpeg

7E7FC074-3BCB-41A9-B216-C3A8B9264BF3.jpeg

OP
F
If you travel much to hunt they are pretty handy. Amazing piece of engineering. I’m over my lightweight phase so 8# or so works. All good experiences.

View attachment 397714
I am not much of a fan of the ultra light weight in rifles, for every cartridge. I think the only time I would be interested in a light//ultra light would be for a true high altitude hunt. But... the cartridge would be a mild recoiling one.

OP
F
Thanks so far for the input and the great pictures. I am pretty much sold on saving to purchase one. Just need a high paying, low hour, easy job for the funds, till I'm one with school.

I will have to ask family that I have in Germany what the cost is there and see how bad the red tape is for bringing one back to the US is.

TomJoad

WKR
Don’t overlook the R93 either. I don’t own one but many folks on the BB forum prefer them. It’s on my list vs an R8 as I prefer top loading and it’s a bit lighter. If you want to use magnum cartridges maybe stick with the R8 which has a larger bolt and stronger lockup.

The Blaserbuds forum has a lot of good info and a great classified section for finding rifles or barrels / bolt assemblies.

Bravo6

FNG
Yes it is a carbon stock; a friend of mine built it. He goes in and out of building them. Mostly out. I’m very glad to have it and have zero complaints. Makes it lighter and I never ever worry about field conditions.

The wood stocks work good too but I never was happy with the finish. Drew a really special tag in Arizona last year and decided I should make it to my liking.

View attachment 397876

View attachment 397877
Wow, that's really cool! Any chance your friend has another one of those carbon stocks laying around? I'm eager and ready to buy one!

BjornF16

WKR
What are y'all current Blaser owners thoughts on the Pro S (fixed trigger group and magazine)?

Any reason it would need to be removable?

Does the Pro S support .223 through 338 WM?