Blaser

BjornF16

WKR
Another question on the Blaser R8…are they stainless barrels or carbon steel?

If carbon, any concerns with being in backcountry for a couple of weeks?

OP
F

They have carbon barrels on their web site. I do not know if anyone makes "aftermarket" barrels for them. I would think their Carbon Steel would be just like any other firearm. Just wipe it down at end of day and throughly after trip. Knowing the Germans, probably pretty high quality steel.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Factory barrels are all carbon steel and nitride coated. They are very hard; no AI chambers to be cut and it is very difficult to add anything to them. I spend a lot of time on Kodiak with mine and it hasn’t rusted with little care. There are a couple custom barrel makers where you can get regular carbon steel or stainless pretty much of your choice of blanks. My 264 Win is a Kreiger cerakoted carbon steel fluted 27” plus brake. A couple guys are experimenting with carbon fiber barrels but I’ve not seen them available to the public yet.

Last edited:

TomJoad

WKR

Carbon nitride on the K95 same as R93 and R8. No issues in Colorado backcountry. It’s not the Pacific Northwest but I’ve had few hunts without weather events and no trace of rust.

Monty3006

FNG
I have an R8 Pro with .223, 30-06, and .375h&h barrels. It is a great system, with everything just working, and it is very accurate. As has been mentioned it isn’t a lite weight, but it’s manageable. Mine has been my primary hunting rifle for 6 or 7 years and it hasn’t let me down.

BjornF16

WKR
What about R8 Pro S versus Pro?

Any issues with only top loading ammo?

Not sure how cartridge changes would work if the magazine is fixed.

I see NIB Pro S for $3800 versus Pro for $4600.

k

Monty3006

FNG
What about R8 Pro S versus Pro?

Any issues with only top loading ammo?

Not sure how cartridge changes would work if the magazine is fixed.

I see NIB Pro S for $3800 versus Pro for $4600.

k

Top loading isn’t an issue, just takes a little more force to push rounds down then in a more traditional type magazine. I do find it easier to remove the trigger unit to load rounds. I’ve also never tried to remove the magazine insert while the trigger unit is fitted, but I’d guess it’s relatively easy. All R93s are fixed like the Pro S I believe.

Hard to say if those small conveniences are worth the (substantial) price difference. Performance would be equal while hunting.

7MMMAG

FNG
I like the idea of the r8...especially the kilombero. Interchangeable barrels/calibers w/ return to zero mount, straight-pull bolt, etc. but very pricey.

TomJoad

WKR
Jaeger here but I’m a woodaholic. The only synthetic in my safe is a $150 air rifle for backyard bunny’s.

fwafwow

WKR
Guys - please stop posting to this thread. Although I have periodically looked at Blasers, I had pretty much made up my mind that I don't need any more rifles, or guns more generally, and especially not one that is as expensive. You yahoos are now causing me to go back and look at the Blaser website and think about how I've made a rash decision and that everyone needs more guns. Thanks a lot @TomJoad - your addiction to wood feeds into my own preference for natural materials.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I hunt with a blaser k95. Modularity with all blaser platforms are outstanding. I have a 30-06 and 6.5x55 Stutzen barrels. Aside from ridiculous accuracy, this gun is 6lbs scoped and breaks in half to a 20” package with no tools in about 5 seconds. Amazing backpack hunting gun.

View attachment 397766View attachment 397767

I’m going to have one of those one day. Maybe back to my .270 roots. Probably will start with one of those nice Leica Amplus scopes to start.

BjornF16

WKR
I hunt with a blaser k95. Modularity with all blaser platforms are outstanding. I have a 30-06 and 6.5x55 Stutzen barrels. Aside from ridiculous accuracy, this gun is 6lbs scoped and breaks in half to a 20” package with no tools in about 5 seconds. Amazing backpack hunting gun.
TJ, curious on how quick your follow up shots are with the K95?

TomJoad

WKR
TJ, curious on how quick your follow up shots are with the K95?
Follow up shots can be relatively quick if you’re used to single shots like the Ruger No 1. One factor is where you keep your extra rounds, most folks keep them on the butt stock. I’ve seen images of a nice carrier for two additional rounds on the forestock as well. Mine I keep on the sling of all places but it works for me. Another thing to know is Blasers are extractors not ejectors. For this reason many folks prefer rimmed cartridges which you can dump quickly by rotating the gun. For non-rimmed cartridges like mine pulling empty casings must be done by hand and can get fiddly with gloves.

All this is to say these aren’t repeaters, they’re single shots. When I want to hunt with a repeater l bring a bolt gun. The beauty of single shots is they slow things down and force you to be very choosy and deliberate with your opportunities. This is one of the things I love about singles. They do not at all encourage taking any risk on a marginal shot opportunity: slow down, be patient and pass on opportunities you aren’t feeling 100% confident in.

MO-CHSPKE

FNG
I shoot an F3 for sporting clays and helice and the triggers are absolutely amazing. The modularity is second to none, being able to swap different gauge barrels with ease.

The R8 is on my shortlist. The modularity is extremely appealing there too, for the same reasons. Being able to swap barrels and bolts in minutes is nice as well being able to swap the bolt to left handed extremely easily.

LightFoot

WKR
Blaser R8 is the best factory rifle for a hunter.

It's not a bench rest rifle and not intended to be. (I suppose you could use it for that)

You can get similar reliability and accuracy for much less money. Once you hunt with one, you understand why I will never not have one... or more.

I have one in 30-06 and one in 308. I just had the 30-06 cut and threaded for suppressor.

My GF has a 270 for deer, 300 for elk, and 375 for DG. (She's the real hunter of the two of us)

953fd0e51dcab88cc5dde8c7bf206c62.jpg
d31b969eb32f582543df42a3501c129e.jpg
223df53b5867e021565145f3d990fa0f.jpg
eba144b315a373f0072182661ad73ef9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited: