Blaser

TomJoad

WKR
It’s my backpack elk gun. Absolutely love it. The r93 is newer to me, haven’t bloodied it yet. Planning to take it out for Antelope for the first time this year.

Nice thing about the blasers is the scope setup. So easy and versatile. I mostly hunt the k95 with a S&B fixed 4x but have a higher power setups for the range and alternate barrels. I could leverage the same scopes across the r93 with adjusting zero, I seldom do but it’s a nice option.

IMG_2716.jpeg
IMG_2717.jpeg

Lots of comments around wood, durability and fear. The thing I believe people don’t understand or appreciate about wood is the concept of “patina of use”. I find natural materials take on patina with more grace. Wood with use is loved and lived in, yes it can get damaged but it holds its beauty (so long as it’s not coated in poly to start life like browning). Plastic (and composite) comes out of a molding and finishing process as good as it will ever get, it’s downhill from there.

LightFoot

WKR
Don’t buy an R8.

Buy an R93 @ 6lbs 12oz
View attachment 663530

Or a k95 @ 5lb 9oz?
View attachment 663531

He’s right. An R93 with the “off-road” stock would be a dream backpacking rifle. Only thing you give up to the R8 is that R93 doesn’t have the removable fire-control/magazine. The R93 is trim and light and shoots incredibly well… just pricey.

>>>——JAKE——>

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I'd buy a 223 barrel if it was a better twist for heavier 77gr bullets. The twist is pretty limited to varmint bullets.
Mate of mine uses the .223 Blaser barrel with 55gr bullets and more often bullets in the 60s and lays waste to heaps of deer. I don't know if he uses 77gr but will ask. I use 55 soft points on deer and they don't go far when hit properly.

Last edited:

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
R93s are lighter, but sadly all support for them is ended. If you want to swap calibres it will be used market.

My R8 runs NFS NXS/SHV scopes and are about 9lbs. Probably 9.5 all loaded with sling.

This is about 1lb. heavier than I typically like, but for the shorter length, de-cocker, absolute return to zero mounts, it's worth it to me.

I'd like a K95 some day. Saw one again today in .308 and synthetic stock and it would be a great mountain rifle.

Mojave

WKR
Price.

People talk about this all the time. It is worth noting that they are basically the same price as a mid-range custom or a high end factory rifle around $4000.

While here in Germany I can own as many rifles as a hunter as I want, I don't see the need to own more than a few. Some countries like Spain limit the number of rifles to 5. I am limited to pistols, I can own 2 and if I have a trapping certification, I can own a 22LR pistol as well.

Another plus:

It breeds consistancy. You have one system, one trigger, and multiple barrels. So everytime you shoot the rifle weather it is a 222, or a 300 winchester it feels the same. Recoil will be a bit different :).

Especially if you put the same scope on the both calibers.

Grumman

WKR
Time will tell. I’ll be waiting and watching for a couple years to see how BRX1 performs. Maybe Form will test one and compare to the Blaser.

I saw a BRX1 at the SCI convention. While the switch bolt engineering is clever and the price point beats a Blaser I was not impressed. The rifle was crude and felt very cheap overall. The rail cantilevers back over the bolt/receiver similar to a Mossberg 500. It did not take much thumb pressure to really flex the scope rail. The safety was a struggle to engage and disengage. The rep saw me fiddling with jt and said it takes some practice to get it down.

I looked at Strasser and Blaser afterwards. The Strasser action was really smooth but the action was not enclosed as well as the BRX1 or the Blaser. After looking at the three of them back to back, Blaser is definitely my pick and worth the steep difference in price. I was going to order a BRX but will now be putting that money toward an R8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one that I got to pick out what stock I wanted from the show guns when I worked there. Beautiful wood and I had side plates installed. I was offered stupid money for it, but kept the shooter with synthetic stock. Both were in 30-06. I have a Schmidt and Bender 3-12x50 and a Leupold 2.5-8 for hunting in NH. I've taken a few deer with it. I have the picatinny rail for it, but the scopes swap back and forth with no loss of zero so I left them as is. I damaged a scope on a Caribou hunt in Canada but I brought a spare and it was right on with no adjustments.