blood stained game bags

Tod osier

WKR
One pro tip I picked up from a buddy. After getting my bags clean (wash in washer on hot with a bit of bleach to sanitize them) I fold them neatly, stack a pair of nitrile gloves and two sheets of paper towel on top... then put them in my vacuum sealer! This makes a nice, compact package that's airtight and ready to go for next season, and when I need to throw them in my pack next year they take less space that way. It seems so obvious but it's really handy.

Vac sealing the bags does work well. Just label what is in there if you have multiple sizes or multiples in the bag.

Marshfly

WKR
Spray with the hose on the driveway. That gets them 90%. Could really be done at this point. Then in the washing machine like normal clothes. No bleach or anything weird. Come out like brand new. Literally 100% clean.
Caribou Gear game bags simply don't hold blood stains. I don't know what it is about the fabric but they don't.

kpk

WKR
I throw mine in the washing machine with vinegar and they have stayed pretty clean.

shwacker

FNG
I also do the hose in the driveway, works great.

If they have been sitting a while, soaking them in salt water can draw the blood out pretty well.

Getting the smell out has been harder for me with the caribou bags. I have to run them twice in the washing machine. I usually use a small amount of unscented bleach in the bleach dispenser and some unscented and no UV brightener laundry detergent, which can be hard to find. I then package them in ziplocs with desiccant packs leftover from something I bought.

Maybe I'll try some vinegar next time and see if that helps with the smell.

I soak them in cold water with a little bit of dawn dish soap to loosen up the stains. Wring them out then wash them in the washer with a little bit of bleach on a quick cycle to disinfect. After that I use the same scent free detergent as I do for my cloths on a warm cycle and hang them to dry. It works well for me and they usually don't show any stains.

svivian

WKR
I soak in a 5 gallon bucket with hot water, dawn dish soap and some oxy clean. Rinse and air dry, good to go.

inkedspot

FNG
Mean green with water in a 5 gallon bucket for a few hours as a pre-soak made Argali bags look like they had never been used.

I just cleaned a pile last week. I have an extensive variety that hunters leave here each year.

This year had TAG, Kuiu, Caribou Gear, and Argali bags to clean. I rinse with hose, soak for a day in a bucket w/ Dawn; rinse again; washing machine with the natural Costco soap; flip inside out; wash machine a second time with no soap; air dry/volatilize outside for a couple days.

The Caribou/Argali bags always come out bright white. They’re clearly a different material. On a related note, quarters placed inside these bags retain moisture the longest and they took longest to air dry (they took twice as long to dry as others outside in the shade, 40 degrees and breezy). Kuiu bags wick moisture well and are well made, but whatever material they use will not clean up. My Kuiu bags have all maybe been used a couple times and look like crap. Doesn’t really matter, they work just as well stained. The TAG bags clean up well. They are a bit tinted from blood stains, but some have had a half dozen moose in them at this point. They dried the fastest in the 40 degree wind last week and always form the quickest crust on quarters.

I leave my game bags in a box in the garage so they continue to volatilize any smells from meat or cleaner throughout the year.

edit: based on the variety I see get used each year, buy the TAG bags if it wasn’t clear.

Maverick1

WKR
One pro tip I picked up from a buddy. After getting my bags clean (wash in washer on hot with a bit of bleach to sanitize them) I fold them neatly, stack a pair of nitrile gloves and two sheets of paper towel on top... then put them in my vacuum sealer! This makes a nice, compact package that's airtight and ready to go for next season, and when I need to throw them in my pack next year they take less space that way. It seems so obvious but it's really handy.
I do the same thing with my panty hose…..works really well!

I soak in water/detergent/hydrogen peroxide. Then run it through the wash with some bleach.

They come out clean and white every time for me.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just threw my game bags in the washer last night, turn inside out, quickly knock the crusties off, use pre soak and double rise, quickly remove early in morning before wife gets up, wipe inside of washer out with paper towel to clean up any chunks that fell off in there. I like simple though.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
Wash once in cold with an extra rinse and white vinegar instead of soap. Then wash cold again with standard detergent and oxy clean with another extra rinse. Then one more cold wash with no soap or anything at all. Works great for me.

yfarm

WKR
Peroxide breaks the protein bonds in blood. Tuna blood causes some of the most durable stains even in gelcoat. Bleach will usually get it out of synthetics.