Bonding a picatinny rail to an action

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ve been asked a bunch on how to bond or glue a rail to an action. I had one today to do, so…

This is a Tikka T3x and Leupold Backcountry Rail. The has a lip around the edge of it, it’s not flat with the action. So you lose all friction that would come when the rail and action are mated together. It also does not have recoil lugs. Wouldn’t recommend.
For a bonding agent I’m using Loctite 380 Black Max this time.

First degrease the action, action threads, the rail, every screw, the holes in the rail, etc. Using acetone, brake cleaner, etc get all the oil off.

Then, coat the rail with the adhesive, try to stay away from the screw holes-
5FD82F6E-6803-4F5E-A4A1-79C962E47362.jpeg

Set the rail straight down over the holes so you don’t drag the adhesive into them, then put one screw at a time in, just to snug.

Then pull one screw out at a time and clean the screw and the threads in the action well with acetone/brake cleaner to get any adhesive off that might have gotten in. Out of the four screws one got adhesive in it-

4D0E93B0-5DCA-4E82-A81C-F3D0F1B42B78.jpeg

Clean each one off, then usnibg Blue Loctite, a paint pen, or fingernail polish, put some in the screw and torque down. Repeat for all the screws.
04A7589D-1C52-47E7-B2A5-63A923F80F39.jpeg

Once they are all cleaned, painted and torqued, I go back and put a dab of paint/Loctite around the screw heads. I ran out of orange, so shifted to purple.

4258A363-92B6-4912-B004-5DF2B71FCFE9.jpeg

Finished rail with a line of adhesive showing-
05514FFE-EB51-4691-A968-FDA649A1E2F6.jpeg

Scope mounted, index marked and ring base screws-
A50EA70E-BA95-43DE-8540-E6A5E1C3E268.jpeg

And on ring cap screws-
A6DAB770-BC73-4D5A-8D76-1E0BB5258449.jpeg

If something comes loose, it’ll be obvious. But it won’t. Done as shown, this base, ring, scope combo isn’t moving unless I want it to.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I epoxy all my rails! My go to has been jb weld. If you're feeling ballsy use quick weld and clean up sith a q-tip!

That’s what I’ve used historically. Works fine, though I don’t want a layer between them, just glued down. Loctite 380 Balck Max is supposedly the same or similar to what Tikka uses on their factory pic rails. Have done a couple with it, so far it’s working and it is easier to use.

That’s what I’ve used historically. Works fine, though I don’t want a layer between them, just glued down. Loctite 380 Balck Max is supposedly the same or similar to what Tikka uses on their factory pic rails. Have done a couple with it, so far it’s working and it is easier to use.
I have another one to do in the next few days. Might give it a try

Antares

WKR
Form, looks like you’re putting nail polish on the threads, correct? Does that work well? I’ve been using nail polish but only on the heads. I like how much easier nail polish is to clean up than loctite.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, looks like you’re putting nail polish on the threads, correct? Does that work well? I’ve been using nail polish but only on the heads. I like how much easier nail polish is to clean up than loctite.

It works very well. Have been doing it for years.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
Have you done a similar thread on how you bonded your KRG Bravo?

I attempted a drop test the other day with my T1x and a PST Gen2.
Everything survived the 18" drops but at 36" ran into problems, after some troubleshooting discovered it was the action in the chassis.

If I were to go down the bedding path I would like to be able to remove it again, the amount of plastic parts in the Tikka means you'd have to be careful using heat to disbond it again.

Antares

WKR
If I were to go down the bedding path I would like to be able to remove it again, the amount of plastic parts in the Tikka means you'd have to be careful using heat to disbond it again.

Take the action out of the stock, put a heat gun on the rail, give it a little love tap. No big deal.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used JB quick on all of mine with great results. Had to take the rail off of my ultimate Muzzleloader last week to put a Williams peep sight on…it was difficult.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Good timing as I have a rail I need to mount on a Tikka.

I got a Talley rail, but for future reference, does anyone make one with recoil lugs?

I got a Talley rail, but for future reference, does anyone make one with recoil lugs?
You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer rail than area 419 for the tikka. It's rounded front and rear to match the action, all edges are beveled and clean, and it's overall very low profile. Definitely some unnecessary machining for prettiness but you're already spending the money so who cares!

sndmn11

WKR

Mountain Tactical rails have lugs.

Area 419 and Vision as well. The vision one uses the Tikka integral rail also, but I haven't had the extra $50 of curiosity to order one over the area419.