Bonding a picatinny rail to an action

Antares

WKR
What’s the advantage of a rail over using Tikka style rings?

Eye relief for some people. A rail lets you set the front ring farther back so you can move the scope farther back. I don’t trust rings on the dovetail w/o the recoil pin, so that limits where I can install dovetail rings.

Antares

WKR
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was referring to a bonded action in a Bravo.

You were clear enough. I’m just not reading closely. 👍

I would think epoxying an action into a KRG is pretty permanent given the large surface area and plastic involved, as you mentioned.

I don’t see the need for it in general use, but it makes sense for something specific like the scope evals. Not having done it myself, I’d be interested to hear what Form thinks about removal.

amassi

WKR
That makes sense. Didn’t realize tikka rings had a recoil pin. Been keeping my eye out for a LH T1.

Unknown munitions has a tikka ring with adjustable recoil pin slots. Any eye relief problems of past won’t be an issue with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unknown munitions has a tikka ring with adjustable recoil pin slots. Any eye relief problems of past won’t be an issue with those.

Mine just shipped. We'll see how these work. I'm guessing awesome.

EDIT/UPDATE: Shipped on the 19th. Checked tracking and see they are out for delivery right now! That's FedEx overnight for $16 paid to Unknown Munitions. Pretty sure it cost UM a lot more than that. So far customer service and ordering has certainly been top notch. Unfortunately my barreled action is off to get cut and threaded, so I won't be able to actually test the rings for about three weeks.

Antares

WKR

I’m guessing they still won’t come far enough back for me. I’ve got my front ring over the ejection port. Part of my situation is the short tube on the NXS 2.5-10.

Example:
IMG_8211.jpeg

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer rail than area 419 for the tikka. It's rounded front and rear to match the action, all edges are beveled and clean, and it's overall very low profile. Definitely some unnecessary machining for prettiness but you're already spending the money so who cares!

Area 419 and Vision as well. The vision one uses the Tikka integral rail also, but I haven't had the extra $50 of curiosity to order one over the area419.

I will have to see if Three Bears will accept a return on the Talley rail and try the Area 419. I don't like how the Talley extends past the action and the Area 419 is still 7075 Al. Given that Vision just says "aircraft grade" I'm assuming it is a 6xxx series Al.

Antares

WKR
I don't even like my rails to be "action length." I cut them even shorter to help clear the objective bell. See photo above.

Relating to the original question. All my rails are epoxied on with Marine Tex.

sndmn11

WKR

amassi

WKR
I’m guessing they still won’t come far enough back for me. I’ve got my front ring over the ejection port. Part of my situation is the short tube on the NXS 2.5-10.

Example:
View attachment 578089

I’ll have some tomorrow and will mount up a nxs 2.5-10 as far back as it will go for reference

I will have to see if Three Bears will accept a return on the Talley rail and try the Area 419. I don't like how the Talley extends past the action and the Area 419 is still 7075 Al. Given that Vision just says "aircraft grade" I'm assuming it is a 6xxx series Al.
You won't be mad about it

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Have you done a similar thread on how you bonded your KRG Bravo?

I haven’t done one on bonding the action. With a Bravo, shouldn’t be too hard being that you can remove the forend and buttstock. Then you can heat the action up.

Your T1x moved in a Bravo? I haven’t found it necessary to bind the T3’s in KRG’s, just get them degreased totally, thread locker and torque tight.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t done one on bonding the action. With a Bravo, shouldn’t be too hard being that you can remove the forend and buttstock. Then you can heat the action up.

Your T1x moved in a Bravo? I haven’t found it necessary to bind the T3’s in KRG’s, just get them degreased totally, thread locker and torque tight.
Yes it did, confirmed by repeating the rest with the scope removed and dropping the rifle.
The NF rings usually return to zero perfectly but was getting lateral shifts all over the place.

Will try as you said and re-attempt the drop test.

SloppyJ

WKR
I bedded my last rail with marine-tex. I also bedded the entire action with it too. This was my first time bedding anything. Neutral shoe polish or furniture wax works great to keep things from sticking where you don't want them (screws). Only difference is mine is removable. If I didn't use the release agent, it's the same thing. I recommend that product 100%.

20230410_174717.jpg

Last edited: