Bonding a picatinny rail to an action

mod7rem

FNG
I bonded an EGW rail to my Rem M7 but I didn’t snug the screws down until the epoxy had cured. The top of the receiver and rear bridge are not perfectly machined so tightening it down was twisting the rail. So now it’s bedded and bonded.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
I bedded a Talley rail on a Cooper stainless M52 earlier this year using regular JB Weld. Pretty much did this like Form describes except for using a release agent, and being extra careful to keep the JB Weld out of the screw holes. First I cleaned everything well with some acetone , and the I used some Hornady Unique case lube as a release agent on the receiver and in screw holes just in case something didn’t go right. First time ever bedding a rail so I was a bit anxious about putting any permanent adhesive on the receiver, and I wanted to have the option to remove the rail in the future if I decide to change something. Put the rail down with the wet JB Weld, snugged the screws without over tightening, cleaned up the fit edges with some toothpicks & w-tips. And let it dry overnight. Next day removed the screws, removed the rail with just a light tap, cleaned the receiver top good, vigorously cleaned the screw thread and holes to be sure no JB Weld was in them, and then properly remounted the rail. Fit was perfect.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Those
There is no need to do this!

Just buy the Tikka Rings from UM!:)
Those UM rings look nice, now to decide if the ability to easily move a scope between rifles is worth a rail. It probably is not, but I have more rifles than scopes at the moment.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
It will easily move from Tikka to Tikka with these rings. :)
Yeah, but until recently I have not been smart enough to buy a Tikka. :cry:

You know anyone that wants some mutilated rifles? 😆

I guess I should add, wants as in will pay for. 🤨 Then I will have money for more Tikkas....

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ve been asked a bunch on how to bond or glue a rail to an action. I had one today to do, so…

This is a Tikka T3x and Leupold Backcountry Rail. The has a lip around the edge of it, it’s not flat with the action. So you lose all friction that would come when the rail and action are mated together. It also does not have recoil lugs. Wouldn’t recommend.
For a bonding agent I’m using Loctite 380 Black Max this time.

First degrease the action, action threads, the rail, every screw, the holes in the rail, etc. Using acetone, brake cleaner, etc get all the oil off.

Then, coat the rail with the adhesive, try to stay away from the screw holes-
View attachment 577944

Set the rail straight down over the holes so you don’t drag the adhesive into them, then put one screw at a time in, just to snug.

Then pull one screw out at a time and clean the screw and the threads in the action well with acetone/brake cleaner to get any adhesive off that might have gotten in. Out of the four screws one got adhesive in it-

View attachment 577946

Clean each one off, then usnibg Blue Loctite, a paint pen, or fingernail polish, put some in the screw and torque down. Repeat for all the screws.
View attachment 577947

Once they are all cleaned, painted and torqued, I go back and put a dab of paint/Loctite around the screw heads. I ran out of orange, so shifted to purple.

View attachment 577948

Finished rail with a line of adhesive showing-
View attachment 577949

Scope mounted, index marked and ring base screws-
View attachment 577950

And on ring cap screws-
View attachment 577951

If something comes loose, it’ll be obvious. But it won’t. Done as shown, this base, ring, scope combo isn’t moving unless I want it to.
Are those Burrris Signature rings? You like the ones with or without the inserts?

Does the orange nail polish hold as well as the purple?

Great thread. Alot of (new to me) information. I have 2 projects I am currently working on. Let's see what I can take away from this.

I've used loctite and nail polish in the past.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
@Brandon.miller.4 & @sndmn11
Thanks for the recommendation, I have an Area 419 on the way, for only $7 more than the Talley rail.

Hopefully @Ryan Avery doesn't ban me for not getting the UM rings. At $70 dollars more (with shipping) and the lows being out of stock yesterday evening when I decided to order them (should have made up my mind faster as 3 sets were in stock that afternoon), I decided to go with a pic rail for now.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
@Brandon.miller.4 & @sndmn11
Thanks for the recommendation, I have an Area 419 on the way, for only $7 more than the Talley rail.

Hopefully @Ryan Avery doesn't ban me for not getting the UM rings. At $70 dollars more (with shipping) and the lows being out of stock yesterday evening when I decided to order them (should have made up my mind faster as 3 sets were in stock that afternoon), I decided to go with a pic rail for now.
They were on a pre-order sale for three months…. And I have a long list of people to ban in front of you:)

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
They were on a pre-order sale for three months…. And I have a long list of people to ban in front of you:)
Yes, but I have lots of excuses, such as I did not know I would get a Tikka until a few days ago..... My 🔮no worky. 😖

Seriously though, thanks for the effort on those.