Book recommendations

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Been diving back into reading to scratch the itch during the off season. Currently reading Meat Eater. Any suggestions for hunting stories?

Not straight up hunting stories, but 3 where hunting is certainly a key part of each:

- Shadows on the Koyukuk. Tells the story of growing up in Alaska during the early 1900’s, possibly my favorite book. Some of the stories are just wild.
- Alaska’s Wolfman. Follows Frank Glasser after leaving the lower 48 to pursue market hunting in Alaska. Fantastic book
- Totch. About the life of Totch Brown, growing up in the area that would become Everglades National Park. Gator hunting/poaching, commercial fishing & crabbing, running moonshine in the Great Depression, and all sorts of questionable decisions that make for a great read. This would be 1b for me with Shadows.

Easy read by Papa: The Nick Adams Stories
Oldest English hunting book: The Master of Game
Archery history read: Ishi
Duck hunting from long ago: Outlaw Gunner
Pure hunting experience: To All Things a Season by Don Thomas

More reads here.

I will second, Shadows on the Koyokuk. Great story about an Alaskan legend that knew more about hunting fishing than most. He lived it. I've had the great opportunity to meet him at his home in Galena

A couple that aren't usually mentioned in these threads;
"They Call me Hunter"- story of a lion hunter that hunted off mules in the Grand Canyon country- excellent if you can find it.

The E Donnell Thomas and Jay Massey books are very good- primarily bowhunting themed

Theodore Roosevelt's "The Wilderness Hunter" is a classic glimpse into how things used to be, before point creep..

Theodore Roosevelt's "The Wilderness Hunter" is a classic glimpse into how things used to be, before point creep..
Before points! Or any kind of regulation…

The Wilderness Warrior, about TR’s campaign to conserve land.

The River of Doubt

Moby Dick, maybe…

Not hunting adventure, but a very good read from a hunter about re-finding his spirituality in the woods.

"A pastor walks out of the church and into the woods, in pursuit of the God he's lost."

1715084962151.png

Tony wrote this after a crisis drove him from the church. It is very personal account of his faith and life outdoors, and how they inform each other.

Some may know him from his excellent podcast - The Reverend Hunter. https://reverendhunter.com/podcastepisodes

In full disclosure, Tony is a good friend.

Last edited:
Back