Booking a guided hunt - best practices

So, I am about to book a guided hunt in BC. This is the first time I have hired an outfitter in about 20 years. I am wondering about how you guys go about a few things.

Deposit - how do you prefer to send this? Certified check, wire, Paypal or Venmo? Do you ask for a receipt?

Contract - Do you get a contract signed by both parties first?

Verify - I talked to the outfitter and some references but do you actually verify their status as an outfitter? Is there a place I can check that they are actually licensed and everything in BC, Canada?

Any other advise is welcome. I am sure I am missing something.

MattB

WKR
I virtually only hunt with outfitters who I know by reputation through other hunters or booking agents, so I usually don't worry about outside references. Deposit is usually via personal check (don't prefer billpay as it is harder to know if the check cleared). Contracts can be helpful to memorialize details.

flyingbrass

Lil-Rokslider
I'll give you some tests for a guide to pass. Now there could be exceptions but this will get you going in the right direction. Just because an outfitter has donated to RMEF doesn't mean they are solid.
1. Is his wife/family involved in the business. If not I'd be careful. It's much safer if there are more than one generation involved. If his wife is helping at least you know he can commit to one woman. The worst I've seen was an outfitter that lost his wife to his brother. They lived next door and were a competing outfitter on the same public land. This was a nightmare. It was almost a brawl daily.
2. Meat care/meat pole! I want to see if pic of the skinning shed. If it looks good they plan on killing something and will take good care of your meat. My first elk hunt it was horrible, they had a shed but just threw the meat on the floor of the people that killed. The best one I've seen was in WY when they hired one employee as a dedicated meat hauler from the wilderness area to town and back. Of course, if nobody killed the first day he would wrangle horses and cut firewood but he was a dedicated meat man.
3. As a Christian I'd like to give you a third test but I only got 2 for now that have been tried and true.

clarc

FNG
One important question to ask your guide is what type of terrain and weather to expect while you’re in the field prior to your hunt.

snaptube telegram web

Last edited:
Send a personal check for deposit. You should be able to print out a copy of the signed/cashed check once they deposit it.

I would dig around and search the various forums, or even start a new thread, and google to get any reviews/feedback info from previous hunters. hunt talk, long range hunting forum, etc.

My advice is that you get what you pay for. Go with the best if you can afford it. When you have to sift through the businesses who are not top shelf, that is where all the headaches and heartache comes from. I know there are lots of up and coming new guides/outfitters who are the next great thing, but for every one of them you probably have 12 that are middle or bottom shelf for a reason. For folks who go on multiple guided hunts per year, or every year, they can afford to risk a poor experience, because their next hunt is around the corner. Why risk something you only do every 20 years to save a buck?.....do it right and pay up.