Boots: insulated or uninsulated

KU_Geo

WKR
For anyone that has hunted Yukon or NWT during mid August (10-20) for a backpack hunt, did you wear uninsulated or insulated boots?

leoni1

FNG
Backpack hunt I would go uninsulated.

Horseback I have no experience with, but maybe insulated for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Werty

WKR
Years ago, I did a sheep hunt in AK. I had insulated boots. My feet got hot. I recommend uninsulated, they will also dry out quicker.

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Not NWT, but for all parts of Alaska, uninsulated even through September if active hunting. While I’d expect you could see some cold days, we see snow at elevation during August sheep season, but also see days of flip-flop, shorts-wearin weather.

OP
K

KU_Geo

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. Confirming my thinking but just wanted to see what others thought

OP
K

KU_Geo

WKR
Think I've made the final decision to just go un-insulated. Expecting lows in 30-40s and highs 45-60s. I'm just thinking any insulation will just be too much.

Last year northern BC had a mid-August blizzard with feet of snow and cold. Unlikely but can happen. I like 400 gram insulated 10" high boots for August and Sept hunts. Take 'em off at lunch and during warm glassing sessions and let them air out in the sun. Works for me...and helps keep the bears out of camp at night.

wyosam

WKR
I live for late season elk in Wyoming, and I don’t even own a pair of insulated boots I would hunt in. I can’t picture how cold it would have to be on a sheep hunt to make me want them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
I wear uninsulated for any active style hunt all year long...that includes coyote hunting in Jan Feb in the dakotas, Mule Deer hunting in MT in Nov. Only time I where insulated boots is in a blind or deer stand if the weather is cold.