Best Boots for Western Hunting?

Hey all,
Looking for some ideas about what the best boots would be for Montana hunting. In that 200-300 dollar price range. Also, do most run uninsulated boots while out glassing and moving all day or would insulated be best?

Whatever boots fit YOUR feet.

Uninsulated for me and change sock thickness based on activity level and temps.
You nailed it, imo. I thought for sure I wanted some Crispis after all the hype. Tried em on, completely wrong for my foot shape. Put on some Lowas in the same price range, fit like a glove.

Dennis

WKR
What season would be my first question? My system is uninsulated boots in early to mid season, insulated boots as weather gets colder or more stationary and pack boot in snowy wet conditions with removable liners I can dry out. You can also add toe or insole heaters to any boot as long as they are not too tight to start with.

IN2HNTN

FNG
Whatever boot your feet like the best.

My current pair of Kenetrek's, have been excellent, a bit higher than your budget but a great boot.

I like Lowa and Hanwag. Scarpa do not fit my feet at all. I ordered some Meindl boots from cabelas but liked Hanwags better so I sent Meindls back, but I think they were nice. I like the Hoffman boots' looks...
You will just have to try a bunch of them to see what your feet like.

Rustynail

FNG
Are the crispi Nevada any good?

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using Tapatalk

_jeff_

FNG
Try on however many you can. I bought a pair of Crispi and another pair of Zamberlan boots and neither of them fit my feet correctly. Finally tried Schnee's Timberlines and they fit my feet perfectly. They're also a great boot that I recommend. But your feet are probably completely different.

Honyock

WKR
Are the crispi Nevada any good?

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using Tapatalk
I've used them for quite a few years and my feet like them. Like others said, you have to find what makes your feet happy. Bootmakers use different lasts so you have to find what fits your feet. The best boots made are no bueno if they don't fit your feet.

Try on as many brands possible. Fit is most important! You’ll no right away what fits good. I have good luck with and own Schnee, kenertrek and pair of crispi Colorado first gen

Arithson

FNG
what ever fits your foot and doesnt leave blisters. every person will be different.

texasbbq

Lil-Rokslider
Try on as many as you possibly can and let the boot find you. It's the only way.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Would include Lowa Camino in the list.
While a little above your mentioned budget they can be found on sale.

R

Try a few different pairs on. Feet are pretty tricky and what's good for me, might not work for you.

I'm a big fan of Lowas and have four different models. I recently bought a pair of Hanwag as Lowa's prices have just sky rocketed. Time will tell if it was a good switch.

I would've really liked to get a set of Crispi but they don't ship to Canada and their Canadian distributors sell them at an absolutely ridiculous price.

You're gonna be hard pressed to find a quaility mountain boot for that price range. Spend a minimum of $300 for a good quaility european made mountain boot. I believe zamberlan makes one boot in your price range and cripsi has the lapponia at $300 but other then that I dont know of many others. You could always find a lightly used pair or get some when they are on sale.

There are lots of good quality boots made from all the brands mentioned above you just need to try some on. Brands like Danner, Rocky, Irish Setter, Lacrosse, etc do not make mountain boots so stay away from those brands.

TaperPin

WKR
There are a number of good boots of moderate stiffness that will work, but the biggest issue is how they fit - different boots are not all the same width and may not flex with your foot in a good way.

You have two basic choices - boots with a lot of fabric that require a gortex liner and are lighter, but retain moisture; or heavier leather boots that are well sealed from moisture on the outside.

These are essentially two versions of the same boot - up until snow is on the ground or it’s really muddy, the fabric boots are my go to. With snow, the leather boots are all I need for anything down to 20 degrees ish - they are sized for a thick wool socks and extra leg insulation raises the blood temperature at your feet. All winter these are my go to snowshoe boots, and in the spring I have hinged crampons for walking around on melting snow.

12FC4C6F-2634-415B-A39B-3B2FD11C22D6.jpegD1D03601-6997-485F-99B4-C2E5AE82E20B.jpeg

Hey all,
Looking for some ideas about what the best boots would be for Montana hunting. In that 200-300 dollar price range. Also, do most run uninsulated boots while out glassing and moving all day or would insulated be best?
I recommend trying them all on, then looking online for sales on the ones which fit well, and asking for a price match. Pretty crazy sales going on in boots these days.