Best Boots for Western Hunting?

gostovp

WKR
Finding a pair can be tough because everyone is correct in that fit is what matters most. And for many it can be hard when you might not be able to try many different brands on locally. Then you are forced to order online which is fine but can be hassle.

Do you know much about your foot? Like what is your Brannock length, width, and arch length ( for each foot)). Do you have flat feet, normal arches, or a high arch? Do you pronate or supinate? Small skinny toes or thick sausage toes? If you know these things about your feet it might help as other guys with similar feet might be able to recommend something.

One thing that might help is if you can find a running shoe store that has one of those 3D foot mapping devices… it can really tell you a lot about your feet. The Tradehome Shoes by me has one and it really did help me understand my feet better

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
Meindl, Meindl, Meindl…..more specifically the Vakuum hunters.

“Thanks to an innovative boot-within-a-boot design, these high-country mountain hunting boots wrap your feet stabilizing comfort. Inside the full grain nubuck leather uppers, MFS Vakuum foam panels form to the shape of your feet, ensuring a perfect fit without uncomfortably tights pressure points common in lesser-made technical boots

ridgefire

WKR
I have tried a bunch off different brands of boots and my top three are Crispi Altitude GTX, Hanwag Alaska GTX and Meindl Denali. The Hanwag Makra Combi GTX boots are really nice as well. Try out a many as you can because it seems that all boots fit a little differently and elk hunting in the mountains with boots that do not fit properly sucks.

Boots all fit differently. You have to try on a few and pick the ones that work. Factories, molds, and tooling are never consistent. There’s no guarantee that a size 12 crispi GTX from 2020 will fit like the same boot that’s been manufactured in 2023.

TaperPin

WKR
This has little to nothing to do about your boots, or feet, but boots and feet are fascinating.

I was thinking about what role toes play in walking while wearing my stiffer boots. The insoles used in these boots are very supportive, boots fit well all around the foot, and I found it interesting that if I focused on lifting all pressure off the toes it was still possible to move around just fine. My more flexible boots need the toes to do more work.

It will be interesting to hear what the doc says about your feet.

Divide93

FNG
I have a 15 N foot. Hard to find decent boots. I got a deal on some discontinued Danner USMC combat boots and I have 4 pair which are great (for me) for early season archery! My other Danners are 25yrs old and about done. I have a pair of Schnees Beartooth which are beauties and I have Schnees and Hoffmans pac boots for the deep stuff!

JCNorthID

FNG
I try them on and buy boots that feel good. I have uninsulated and insulated for different times of the year. Bought some Zamberlans last year (GTX 980) that were on sales to try at a reduced price and like them. I haven't found many that will hold up for more than a couple years. This will be year #2 so we will see, but I do like them.