Boots on a budget?

Ten Bears

WKR
Check the REI used gear section.

I grabbed a pair of Scarpa Zodiac Techs last summer for $126.

They were clearly a returned item and new.

Wapiti1

WKR
Mammut Kento on sale. Salewa Mnt trainer. Should be able to find these at about $200. The Mammut is a solid boot.

Jeremy

Last edited:

feanor

WKR
The old version of the Danner crater rim boot is usually pretty cheap. Good leather boot with a ton of rubber. Made in Oregon. On the heavy side, but will last longer than a pair of salamanders.

drmatara

FNG
Lowa Renegade and Salomon Quest are both great and the boots fits perfectly. If you check for seasonal sales, you should be able to get them around $200.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
I may catch some heat for this, but I am thoroughly impressed with the Danner Gila. I've had my pair for about 4 years and have put a bunch of miles on them here in AZ hunting quail, javelina, elk and deer over varied terrain. I picked up the Pronghorns and was not impressed at all, however, for some reason, the Gila has been very durable and really comfortable. Decent price with Gore Tex. I can probably get another season or two out of them and may make the switch to Crispi, but for the money, I'm happy with the Gila.

Unclecroc

FNG
Watch eBay, Kenetrek is selling slightly used boots right now with the bidding starting at $75. If they have your size it sounds like a great way to get into a great pair of boots at a discount.

Crispi goes on sale during the winter months, I bought 2 pair for the less than $300/ea.
if you are veteran the door opens a ton. Selewa is 20% off, Merrill is 40%, zamberlan is 30% etc etc.

I just tried on Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 and the Crispi West River 2.0. Kenetrek's fit like a glove. Gotta save up now.

OP
C
So many options! Gonna have to find stores near me, try a bunch on. Then start looking for deals.

I used inexpensive Irish setters for a good amount of seasons. I think they'd do everything you need for now.

200+ isn't totally necessary until you get into hiking constantly in rough terrain.

bozeman

WKR
low $ range, Salomon Quest 4D as mentioned....used a pair for 3 years hunting in CO. Now have Hoffman's and am quite happy so far with these.

krimmie

FNG
I bought the Irish Setters a few years ago, they are still in great shape, but I only wear them for 20-25 days a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
Sierra has great boot pricing. I get Asolo from them for around 120, just keep checking if you do not need them now.

I bought some Saloman to try this past year, started out ok but they are about toast already, I used them a lot but they have not held up and are only good for wearing at the range or something.

Back to Asolo as soon as sierra gets the ones I like back in stock!

JRMiller

WKR
on my third pair (in 10 years) of merrell moab 2s. Most comfortable boot ever made i think.
So confident in them I literally took my last pair out of the box new at the trailhead and headed in 10 miles in total comfort.
There only downside is they loose there waterproof abilities after a couple years.
But for the price and comfort and i dont care. If i get a few seasons out for them totally worth it IMO.

OP
C
Merrells are pretty comfy. Just keep hearing of the soles falling off pretty quickly

OP
C
This year probably just SD. Looking to go to Colorado early elk season next year. Planning on doing some overnight hiking trips with my son this year also. Not real rugged trails around me though

Zappaman

WKR
I just spent six weeks going through six pair of new boots- five pair went back and my selection was a surprise to me.

I'll save you the long story and just say I did a three day pig hunt in Texas two weeks back through 4-5" of record rainfall with the boot I picked. It was more like duck hunting and I crossed fields of 3-6" water flows and went completely under on the right boot on the last day out. Until then, my feet were dry in both boots. Boots were submerged for hours a day, and were dried out on the porch in the breeze overnights.

The boot: Lacrosse Windrose which is $99 at Sportsman's Warehouse right now. Got home and ran some boot cream over them and pulled out the hedge thorns from the sole. We hunted the THICK stuff in moonlight (all night) and the toe leather held up good for the torture these went through on that outing alone. This is an insulated boot and we were in the 40s most of the hunt- never cold feet- perfect!

I'd love some $400 Crispis and Danner doesn't make the boot they used to, so when I find the right fit on a decent boot on sale, I grab it. I should buy another pair while they are on sale- this is a great boot (for me and my foot anyway).