Boots on a budget?

Nothing adds more days and miles to your treks than a good pair of boots that fit and don't cause pain. Cut cost elsewhere, preserve your dawgs. Trust me, pulling your boots off at the end of day one and finding blisters and banged toes will make you realize you'd pay anything to not have this grief. Never skimp on boots. Never. And learn the lacing options that keep em from slipping and provide maximum security.

This year probably just SD. Looking to go to Colorado early elk season next year. Planning on doing some overnight hiking trips with my son this year also. Not real rugged trails around me though
I've got 2 seasons on a pair of Timberland Mt. Maddsen boots. $99. Waterproof. Comfortable out of the box, just like my Timberline work boots. Not much ankle support, so best for flatter ground.

Usi05

WKR
I use Tibet’s for actual western hunting but has a great pair of asolos last year I got for $80 from a dude that never wore them. Was a perfect boot for training and summer hikes until someone swiped them from me.

Been looking at another set these last few weeks because I don’t want to burn out my Tibet’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
I never wore the Bridger, but I used the Wind River's for a season with the USFS doing field work, and they began to fall apart pretty quickly. It seemed like the adhesives were low quality.
Bridgers leak like a sieve, as do Lowa Renegade and Salomon Quest 4D. I've had 4 pair of Merrel; fine for around town but fell apart when hunting in them. The wife has 2 pair of Keens, wide toe box and have held up well for her.

3.JPG

1.JPG

Last edited:
I had the Kenetrek Bridger High, and it was one of the most uncomfortable shoes/boots I have ever worn. I wore them to work, and our parking lot is rocks and gravel (not paved). After walking over the parking lot, I could feel every rock and pebble through the sole. My feet really hurt at the end of the day. I moved on to Salomon Quest 4d 3GTX for work, and have been using them for several years. They are extremely comfortable, but not real waterproof.

Last edited:

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
Check Sierra for Asolo, Scarpa, Danner, Lowa, Salomon, Zamberlan. They all rotate through there occasionally and will go from $80-180 or so.

chasewright15

Lil-Rokslider
My experiences with the Salamon Quests was pretty bad. They were definitely super comfortable and broke in super nice. But for anyone that hunts decently hard I think they are a bad choice. After a 2 weeks of elk hunting they were not waterproof at all. They remained comfortable but after pushing them hard in the mountains for one full fall they were tearing apart in a few spots. Just not durable enough for hard hunting off trails from my experience with my pair.
I then switch to the Nevada's from Crispi and 3 full seasons in and who knows how many miles, still water proof and holding together great. Soles are worn way down but that's expected after this many years and miles.

Buck197

WKR
My experience, in that $200 range if you look out for the seasonal sales, you can get into a pretty solid hiker. I've had good luck with Lowa Renegade and Salomon Quest, both boots fit me really well. I'd give a slight comfort nod to the Lowas, on the other hand GTX seems to hold up a little better in the Salomons. Upgrading the insoles is usually worth the spend also.
I believe Optics planet still has some Lowa renegade in some sizes on a sale price of like 130 or somethjng, I saw em still.there a few days ago and near picked a set up as a backup.

archp625

WKR
I would like to throw this out there. You don't need anything fancy for an antelope hunt. You could go out west to hunt them in your work dress shoes. Maybe roll with what you have and have up for that next year mule deer or elk hunt. Like others are saying. Get a good quality boot.

fatlander

WKR
Three things a man should never skimp on: boots, bourbon and toilet paper.

Cut some cost somewhere else and get a really good pair of boots. A lot of guys will hock really good boots here at good prices. Most of them are sold before they ever gave them a chance to get broken in.

Buck197

WKR
Three things a man should never skimp on: boots, bourbon and toilet paper.

Cut some cost somewhere else and get a really good pair of boots. A lot of guys will hock really good boots here at good prices. Most of them are sold before they ever gave them a chance to get broken in.

if the bourbon good the TP doesn't matter!!!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree that boots need to be a very high priority, damn the cost. BUT if you have access to several stores and can try a variety of quality boots and find a pair that fit really well, make note of the size and then peruse the classifieds here (eBay, etc) and will bet (unless you are a very odd size)- that a pair will come up for sale at significant reduction in price.

If the terrain you're going to hunting is not overly rough, obviously you can choose a less hardy (and less expensive boot), but I still wouldn't let price dictate which boots are a go and which aren't. Pick the best boot for the job (and that fit you really well!!!) and then patiently shop looking for the best price on that particular boot.

grfox92

WKR

Steve1662

FNG
Are they a stiff boot? Could you carry a heavy pack in them?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
For the most part I have only worn boots that were issued to me. I've never worn a boot sold as a mountain boot so have no real comparison in regards to stiffness. Perhaps I am completely missing out.

I've never packed more then 60ibs with them. Did a 2nd rifle CO elk but came up dry. Around 35 miles over 5 days and feet were just fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
For the most part I have only worn boots that were issued to me. I've never worn a boot sold as a mountain boot so have no real comparison in regards to stiffness. Perhaps I am completely missing out.

I've never packed more then 60ibs with them. Did a 2nd rifle CO elk but came up dry. Around 35 miles over 5 days and feet were just fine.

Waterproofing has held up?

Steve1662

FNG
Waterproofing has held up?

By and large yes. Been exposed to rain, slushy snow, and powder and kept it. I wouldnt go standing in a creek but also dont hesitate steeping in one to cross. After being on all day I usually pull out the insoles to air out.

Not sure if the photos help but 1st shows the inside, 200 grain thinsulate, and the 2nd is me putting a fair amount of pressure on the heel to show stiffness.
982a75f470abec74e810a2c2d380cb82.jpg
6cd6442a194182cb1fc034d8ee1972a3.jpg

grfox92

WKR
By and large yes. Been exposed to rain, slushy snow, and powder and kept it. I wouldnt go standing in a creek but also dont hesitate steeping in one to cross. After being on all day I usually pull out the insoles to air out.

Not sure if the photos help but 1st shows the inside, 200 grain thinsulate, and the 2nd is me putting a fair amount of pressure on the heel to show stiffness.
982a75f470abec74e810a2c2d380cb82.jpg
6cd6442a194182cb1fc034d8ee1972a3.jpg

Very cool. Thanks for taking the time to do that. I think Im going to try a pair. So far super stiff boots have not worked out for me.

Looking for a pair of boots for hunting/ hiking. Leaning towards keen, merrell or danners. Don't have an unlimited budget so looking for something that will get the job done. Any insights would be great!
This past year I wore the Danner Vital uninsulated boots out west. Super comfortable and affordable. Also kept my feet dry walking through wet grass and small streams. Not a single sore spot after 10 days and about 80 miles. Wore with medium weight smartwool socks. The year before that I wore a pair of Salomons and I definitely prefer the Danners