Boots similar in shape to Altra Lone Peak

Hey everyone,

I am in the market for a new set of boots currently. I have found that Altra LP 5s fit my feet really really well but I really like stuff boots for hunting. I have hunted in crispi briksdals for the past few years but find myself having pain on the outside edge of my foot after a full day. I have looked into Zamberlans primarily because of their reputation of running wider than a lot of boots. I also have honestly been disappointed with the last pair of crispi’s I bought so I don’t want to look into Nevada’s or any similar boots.

Do y’all have any other recommendations for boots that fit that criteria? Thanks for any recommendations.

ledflight

WKR
You might want to check out this thread -

though it runs a little more minimal.
Zero drop foot shape but a little supportive is a rare combo it seems.

Braaap

WKR
Hey everyone,

I am in the market for a new set of boots currently. I have found that Altra LP 5s fit my feet really really well but I really like stuff boots for hunting. I have hunted in crispi briksdals for the past few years but find myself having pain on the outside edge of my foot after a full day. I have looked into Zamberlans primarily because of their reputation of running wider than a lot of boots. I also have honestly been disappointed with the last pair of crispi’s I bought so I don’t want to look into Nevada’s or any similar boots.

Do y’all have any other recommendations for boots that fit that criteria? Thanks for any recommendations.
I’m looking for the same thing. I’ve worn Altra’s for everything except my hunting boots for the last two years and now my feet have adjusted and I have trouble wearing any shoe/boot with a more traditional shape. I called Crispi and told them this and they recommended the Nevada. I know you said you weren’t interested in another pair of Crispi boots but I might give them a try. I’m currently using a couple different pairs of Scarpa boots and they have a decently wide toe box but not as roomy as Altra.

Crispi Valdres - very roomy toebox, no ABSS though (I don't need the ankle support so not an issue for me). Very light and extremely comfortable.
I've owned Altras in the past and the Crispi Valdres I much prefer. I hated how the Nevadas felt when I tried those on a few years back so just skipped that model, way too narrow feeling in the forefoot for me.
I have a small heel and wide forefoot, I had to size up 1/2 size on crispis and throw superfeet insoles in them but it's like they are modled to my feet now and I love those boots.
Fwiw, I have a lot of boots though - but I love the Valdres and have been thinking about purchasing a backup pair.

If I am going to be doing serious sidehilling though I go to my Scarpa Zodiacs so there's that. But I do archery Elk hunt in the Valdres too as long as the terrain is not nuts.
HTH

Braaap

WKR
Crispi Valdres - very roomy toebox, no ABSS though (I don't need the ankle support so not an issue for me). Very light and extremely comfortable.
I've owned Altras in the past and the Crispi Valdres I much prefer. I hated how the Nevadas felt when I tried those on a few years back so just skipped that model, way too narrow feeling in the forefoot for me.
I have a small heel and wide forefoot, I had to size up 1/2 size on crispis and throw superfeet insoles in them but it's like they are modled to my feet now and I love those boots.
Fwiw, I have a lot of boots though - but I love the Valdres and have been thinking about purchasing a backup pair.

If I am going to be doing serious sidehilling though I go to my Scarpa Zodiacs so there's that. But I do archery Elk hunt in the Valdres too as long as the terrain is not nuts.
HTH
Which Scarpa Zodiac the tech or the plus?

Braaap

WKR
Those aren’t really a boot, more of a taller trail runner, same as the Altra Lone Peak but a mid. My wife has a pair and they’re great but I wouldn’t hunt steep terrain with a heavy pack in them.

Which Scarpa Zodiac the tech or the plus?
I own both but for sidehilling crazy terrain the Zodiac (not the plus). Sized them to just fit my feet with lathrop insoles and they are very comfy in technical terrain.
Love those orange Zodiacs

The altra foot shape is great and I really the popularity of brands like altra will signal other companies to make similar wider style shoes. Topo athletic boots are close

Braaap

WKR
I own both but for sidehilling crazy terrain the Zodiac (not the plus). Sized them to just fit my feet with lathrop insoles and they are very comfy in technical terrain.
Love those orange Zodiacs
Do the two zodiacs fit the same? If they do I might have to try the stiffer orange ones. I have the zodiac plus and a pair of Ribelle HD boots but I prefer the fit of the zodiac.

OP
E
Thank you all for the good suggestions. I have tried two pairs of zamberlans in wide sizes but still too small. Going to look into kenetreks and possibly a different pair of crispis.

Do the two zodiacs fit the same? If they do I might have to try the stiffer orange ones. I have the zodiac plus and a pair of Ribelle HD boots but I prefer the fit of the zodiac.
srry just saw this now....they do fit the same but I get the stiffer Zodiacs where they exactly fit my foot as I want zero slop when in extreme terrain - cannot have the boot rolling around on my foot. With the Lathrop and Sons insoles and a short break in period they get incredibly comfortable.

Zodiac Plus which can sidehill too but not as great as the stiffer Zodiacs so - those I get 1/2 size larger so I'll hike around in those alot more rather than a short hike and then really scrambling/climbing like I would with the stiffer model (Zodiac). Picking hairs a tad but there is a huge difference in the two boots once the terrain gets nuts. But both are really excellent boots - its just down to how stiff you need them and whether you want the quiet sole.

Stiffer Zodiacs are much quieter for stalking as their sole feels a lot grippier. Both boots are grippy though. For these two boot models its kinda like having a couple different pairs of rock climbing shoes for different situations but I am using boots if that makes sense.

HTH's somebody out there contemplating boots for the Rockies.

Widest toe box I’ve found is Hanwag Ancash II. It’s a wide forefoot, not exactly the same as altra but wider then most mountain boots

Hey everyone,

I’m in the same boat as you. I really like a light and flexible boot for training, hiking and backpacking. A couple of years back I wore something like the Hoka TOR Ultra. It’s a great boot but of course they have stopped making it, for now. After those I went with the same Altras you mentioned but didn’t care much for those. Since then I have gone with Vasque TORRE AT GTX. Great boot. I have some Crispi’s and won’t buy another pair. After those I had to get orthotics. These Vasque’s are all around the best thing I have found. My typical hunting environment is south central AK and
Kodiak isl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Widest toe box I’ve found is Hanwag Ancash II. It’s a wide forefoot, not exactly the same as altra but wider then most mountain boots
Any comparisons you could make to other boots stiffness and fit wise? I was looking at the ancash or the banks. I have a wide forefoot and narrow heel. Currently have the kenetrek me and they’rr starting to get worn out after 4 years.

Any comparisons you could make to other boots stiffness and fit wise? I was looking at the ancash or the banks. I have a wide forefoot and narrow heel. Currently have the kenetrek me and they’rr starting to get worn out after 4 years.
Ancash will be a lot stiffer than banks and are more inline with Kenetrek hardscrable. The one thing I like about Hanwag is the heel size doesn’t change with width. Meaning one heel pocket for all boots. It doesn’t change with a a wide or extra straight last

I saw the new version of the Lone Peak All-Weather (I think it just has 2 added afterwards). The ankle support is a lot stiffer than the old version. There's a new Lone Peak Hiker Mid that I didn't get a chance to see but might be the same way. That being said I'm really unimpressed by the MaxTread pattern they put out. My Lone Peak 5's don't have great grip but pick up mud like crazy.

Meindl has some Comfort Fit boot that advertises a similar shape. Lems also started making their most popular boot with deeper lugs. Those might be other options worth considering.

I don’t know much about them but the Lems boots seem pretty interesting. Definitely not as much stiffness as a dedicated mountain boot though

I also have the Ancash II. I do not think they belong even mentioned in this thread. The stiffest, most unbreakable boot I've ever owned. I've struggled with them since day one. Taken weeks and miles to even get remotely comfortable. Added Sheep Feet and am now able to run the boots. These boots made my feet ache at rest......across the cross section of my foot where the arch is. Boots really needed to warm up and relax across the instep. And my feet are not abnormally wide there.

I measure a legit 12D on a Brannock device. Heels normal to slightly underwidth. Enjoy a large to box due to 2nd toe met pad issues.

The Crispi Guide/Nevada will have an even larger toe box and less stiff. Like them much better.

The Ancash super well made. But after reading the entire thread....I don't think they're anywhere near the rest of the boots in the convo.

Not at all a fan of attempting the SF Anchash last.