Bow Press for Home

BTK

FNG
I am sure that this has been discussed, but I am looking to purchase a press for home. It seems that most people are running the EZ Green press. I live less than 5 minutes away from a local box store that will work on my bow for free, but I am tired of relying on them for everything. At some point, if I really want to be dialed in, I have to start doing some of this on my own. My questions is, will I have any regrets by not purchasing the standard press? Are there any other limitations to it other than the ability to work on a crossbow? I don't really foresee myself going down that road for a while. The only difference that I can see is the wheel vs the hand crank, and it looks like I can find a wheel for pretty cheep if that makes much of a difference. Also, are there any other brands that make something I should be looking at in the same price range? Thanks for your help!

I think you will regret not getting a press at some point. It’s nice not to rely on a shop if something happens. The first time you need a repair 10pm the night before the opener or a trip is money well spent.

The EZ green is the best press for the money. I've had mine for probably 5 years, and it's been worth every penny. You don't need the powered model either. All you have to do is grab an impact driver with the right size socket for the nut holding on the hand crank and voila, You have a press with power. I got the draw board attachment, which has been worth it as well, if you don't already have a draw board.

If you have a bow with way beyond parallel limbs like some of the PSE bows or Hoyt Defiant series, you're gonna want to support the bow so it won't slip out of the press or get the new attachment for those types of bows.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

MT257

WKR
One of the better archery decisions I have made. Only down fall is from having a press it leads to more tinkering. Which then can lead to excessive tuning if that makes sense.

Reactions: BTK
You can find the press and draw board for 20% off at times. Grab a vise too. Be patient and check the shops.

EZ Green is the best value. LCA's "deluxe" versions can rotate 90° to put the bow vertical, which would be handy but not worth the extra money IMO. For a pro shop pressing multiple different bows every day, I can see the merit of having a powered press, but for a hobbyist occasionally pressing a single bow, the power option seems entirely unnecessary.

You can get an EZ Green for $400 shipped at GoHunt with discount code RANDY.

OP
B

BTK

FNG
The EZ green is the best press for the money. I've had mine for probably 5 years, and it's been worth every penny. You don't need the powered model either. All you have to do is grab an impact driver with the right size socket for the nut holding on the hand crank and voila, You have a press with power. I got the draw board attachment, which has been worth it as well, if you don't already have a draw board.

If you have a bow with way beyond parallel limbs like some of the PSE bows or Hoyt Defiant series, you're gonna want to support the bow so it won't slip out of the press or get the new attachment for those types of bows.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Thanks!

OP
B

BTK

FNG
EZ Green is the best value. LCA's "deluxe" versions can rotate 90° to put the bow vertical, which would be handy but not worth the extra money IMO. For a pro shop pressing multiple different bows every day, I can see the merit of having a powered press, but for a hobbyist occasionally pressing a single bow, the power option seems entirely unnecessary.

You can get an EZ Green for $400 shipped at GoHunt with discount code RANDY.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing! I suppose I can use that money towards other tools. Any suggestions? I’m currently using a bike vise in lieu of a true bow vise. It works alright but it does have its limitations. Suggestions? Best D-Loop pliers? Serving jig recommendations? I’m just really getting into this but am a bit green.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing! I suppose I can use that money towards other tools. Any suggestions? I’m currently using a bike vise in lieu of a true bow vise. It works alright but it does have its limitations. Suggestions? Best D-Loop pliers? Serving jig recommendations? I’m just really getting into this but am a bit green.
I can't offer any recommendations on those particular items...I use a Jawhorse as a makeshift bow vise, basic needle nose pliers for tightening d-loops, and haven't delved into doing my own serving yet.

For tuning purposes, a draw board would be a good tool to have. LCA makes a draw board attachment for their presses.

OP
B

BTK

FNG
Can you guys tell me if there is a significant benefit to purchasing a draw board from a manufacturer vs. the homemade version? I’ve seen some pretty creative draw boards from searching, but I don’t want to build one only to regret it and buy one later. Thoughts?
One of the better archery decisions I have made. Only down fall is from having a press it leads to more tinkering. Which then can lead to excessive tuning if that makes sense.
it absolutely does…I am afraid of that! I’m always chasing perfection.

Last edited:
Can you guys tell me if there is a significant benefit to purchasing a draw board from a manufacturer vs. the homemade version? I’ve seen some pretty creative draw boards from searching, but I don’t want to build one only to regret it and buy one later. Thoughts?
The function of a draw board is to hold the bow securely while you mechanically draw and let down in a controlled manner. This fairly simple function can be accomplished through devices of various forms. A boat winch is a common choice for the drawing mechanism on a homemade draw board. Many winches (like the one I used for my homemade draw board) only ratchet when winding up, not when unwinding. A one way ratcheting winch works just fine for a draw board as long as you're careful and keep a firm grip on the winch handle when relaxing the bow. I believe the LCA draw board ratchets in both directions, which would eliminate the possibility of an uncontrolled let down.

Sizthediz

WKR
I had the lca draw board and sold it the rope became a PIA and it needed to be rebuilt. Could be user error I don't know. But I purchased Archery dezign draw board and am very happy

The LCA braw board is a convenient system. Everything is made to fit and it does. There are other systems that do more. I have the LCA but would have liked one that rotated to check axis alignment. My buddy has a homemade board and I it works but is kind of a PITA.
If money was no option I probably would have bought a Spikes press or something similar.