Bow Press for Home

nphunter

WKR
If you are planning on the EZ do yourself a favor and buy the archery dezign draw board. As far as a need for a press they are great if you have room, I used a bow mater for years with great success, broke down many bows, changed limbs, and tunned about anything a person needs to do for a fraction of the cost and space. I do love my press but also have 4 people in my house shooting bows and with growing kids, I have to make a lot of adjustments.

Last edited:

Yoder

WKR
I use a Bowmaster portable press. I've had it for years and it works great.

Reactions: BTK
I am sure that this has been discussed, but I am looking to purchase a press for home. It seems that most people are running the EZ Green press. I live less than 5 minutes away from a local box store that will work on my bow for free, but I am tired of relying on them for everything. At some point, if I really want to be dialed in, I have to start doing some of this on my own. My questions is, will I have any regrets by not purchasing the standard press? Are there any other limitations to it other than the ability to work on a crossbow? I don't really foresee myself going down that road for a while. The only difference that I can see is the wheel vs the hand crank, and it looks like I can find a wheel for pretty cheep if that makes much of a difference. Also, are there any other brands that make something I should be looking at in the same price range? Thanks for your help!

Purchased ez press and never looked back just have to really mind cross your t’s and dot your lower case j’s when pressing so you don’t blow your bow up. I purchased a new mathews and set it up myself and you can truly tinker and really dial your stuff in. From my experience most bow shops don’t have the time to do this stuff for you.

OP
B

BTK

FNG
The function of a draw board is to hold the bow securely while you mechanically draw and let down in a controlled manner. This fairly simple function can be accomplished through devices of various forms. A boat winch is a common choice for the drawing mechanism on a homemade draw board. Many winches (like the one I used for my homemade draw board) only ratchet when winding up, not when unwinding. A one way ratcheting winch works just fine for a draw board as long as you're careful and keep a firm grip on the winch handle when relaxing the bow. I believe the LCA draw board ratchets in both directions, which would eliminate the possibility of an uncontrolled let down.
That looks great. Thanks for sharing!

OP
B

BTK

FNG
Purchased ez press and never looked back just have to really mind cross your t’s and dot your lower case j’s when pressing so you don’t blow your bow up. I purchased a new mathews and set it up myself and you can truly tinker and really dial your stuff in. From my experience most bow shops don’t have the time to do this stuff for you.
That’s exactly why I want to get a press and draw board! I’ve been shooting (not seriously) for 25 years. I would just buy a bow off the shelf at a big box store, buy a pack of fletched arrows and shoot. In the last couple of years I’ve really gotten some OCD and wanted to get serious and get dialed in. I’m having a blast with it! Like you said, if you really want to tinker and get dialed in, I think you kind of have to learn to do it yourself. Nobody will put the time into it like you will. I think I’ll enjoy it.

OP
B

BTK

FNG
If you are planning on the EZ do yourself a favor and buy the archery dezign draw board. As far as a need for a press they are great if you have room, I used a bow mater for years with great success, broke down many bows, changed limbs, and tunned about anything a person needs to do for a fraction of the cost and space. I do love my press but also have 4 people in my house shooting bows and with growing kids, I have to make a lot of adjustments.

I’ve heard a few others say to stick with the Archery Design draw board. Is that infinitely better than a DIY draw board?

I’m kind of in the same boat. I have two young boys that love to shoot their bows! I know that, as they grow, I will be making a lot of adjustments to their setups!

Jbehredt

WKR
Happy ez green and homemade draw board user here. Welcome to the world of “good enough” never being good enough.

Sizthediz

WKR
I’ve heard a few others say to stick with the Archery Design draw board. Is that infinitely better than a DIY draw board?

I’m kind of in the same boat. I have two young boys that love to shoot their bows! I know that, as they grow, I will be making a lot of adjustments to their setups!
It really depends on how much time and effort you want to put into it. Lca was good but cord would bind up. I have limited time so it was worth it for the Archery dezign for me. Your Milage may vary

After you get your press, Amazon sells hand wheels cheap. Let us know which one fits! Good luck!

I don’t know. I’m not smart so I haven’t tried. However, the wheel is nothing special and they sell it for big money.

EZ Green is the best value. LCA's "deluxe" versions can rotate 90° to put the bow vertical, which would be handy but not worth the extra money IMO. For a pro shop pressing multiple different bows every day, I can see the merit of having a powered press, but for a hobbyist occasionally pressing a single bow, the power option seems entirely unnecessary.

You can get an EZ Green for $400 shipped at GoHunt with discount code RANDY.
Thanks for the tip with the code, going to buy one for myself to put under the tree this year. Made it off the “not so good” list

mi650

WKR
I've never had an actual bow press. Years ago, when I had an Oneida Aeroforce and very little money, I sunk a couple 20 penny nails into a stud in my garage, then would draw it and carefully let up on it with the limbs between the nails.

Hey, it worked!! :ROFLMAO:

I️ made the jump 2 seasons ago and got an EZ green and draw board. Super slick system and have enjoyed learning how to work on my own stuff! Nice not to have to rely on a shop.