Bow recommendation?

Bowrider3

FNG
I have done a fair amount of rifle hunting, but am seriously considering getting a compound bow to learn something new. Have shot one a few times and really liked it. I want something I can grow with and eventually take elk hunting. I am not really interested in a 'beginner' set up that I will just end up replacing in 6 month. Does anyone have a recommendation on a solid bow model that might work well?

I was in the same boat and went with a Mission Craze.

As a beginner you will want a lower pull weight but as you develop your form you will start to increase your poundage. This is where the Craze excels. It's adjustability is second to none.

I believe it will hold you in good stead for a few years and let you concentrate on the fundamentals as you progress.

Vince

Get to a pro shop and shoot everything you can. In fact, I would go to several shops and shoot as many bows as possible. There are a ton of good bows and you should shoot the one the feels the best to you. Don't worry about the name on the bow or what your buddies are shooting. Pick up the bow and shoot it a few times. I also like to let the bow down to feel the valley and how aggressive the cams are. You will know very quick which bow you should buy. Good luck!

Get to a pro shop and shoot everything you can. In fact, I would go to several shops and shoot as many bows as possible. There are a ton of good bows and you should shoot the one the feels the best to you. Don't worry about the name on the bow or what your buddies are shooting. Pick up the bow and shoot it a few times. I also like to let the bow down to feel the valley and how aggressive the cams are. You will know very quick which bow you should buy. Good luck!
Best advice!! ^^^

At 63 yrs of age I bought my first compound last spring. I've hunted with traditional gear for 45 years but last spring an old surgerized shoulder started acting up and I wanted to make sure I was prepared for my annual elk hunt in Wyoming. I did as camelcluch suggested. I went to a not-so local shop with a good reputation on a weekday when they weren't too busy and they were terrific helping me. They set up at least a dozen different bows: new, used, $2000 bows and budget bows and let me shoot until I could barely hold my arms up.

Like Vince, I ended up buying a Mission (Ballistic). It is very adjustable for draw length and weight ,quiet, comfortable to shoot and it is unbelievably accurate. It does not have a lot of curb appeal for the "new/faster bow every year" crowd but it works for me. I have no idea how fast it is.

My shoulder did recover and I took my longbow to Wyoming but never got the shot opportunity. I did take the compound to the deer woods last week and shot my biggest buck ever so I guess it's fast enough.

My point is not to sell you a Mission bow but do make the effort to go to a pro shop. I think buying your first compound used or on-your-own is a mistake. I've been around archery all my life but it was so much better to have the help from pros when setting up my first (and probably only) compound bow.

Thanks for all the advice. Went around to a couple shops today and shot some bows. The one I liked the best so far was the Matthews chill r. Does any have any experience using this bow for hunting mule deer and elk? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Mathews is top quality and a good bow. If that is the one you liked best, that is the winner. It doesn't matter what we think. You are the one shooting it. Let us know how you like your new ChillR. Good Luck!

Back