Bow sight - Help me decide between Black Gold & Spot Hogg

M1KL83

FNG
My goal is to get a slider in or around 10oz.
Currently the 2 front runners are the Fast Eddie 2 pin and Ascent Verdict single pin with 4" dovetail.

Pros for the Black Gold
Love the natural brightness of the Black Gold pin,
the ability to adjust sight radius with the dovetail,
overall weight,
sight tape visibility,
enclosed gearing - less chance of debris getting in the guts,

Cons - not as much micro tuning the axis's vs Spot Hogg,
no double pin option,
yardage dial/wheel sticks out,
no MRT,
adding a rheostat light will be more visible while in my ground blind as my understanding it illuminates the fiber housing far more than the SH (however this may be a non issue if pin really are as bright as they seem - a light won't be necessary for dusk and dawn),
finding a .10 pin version in Canada proving difficult however .19 is no problem,

Pros for Spot Hogg Fast Eddie
Built like a tank,
more micro adjustability on the axis's when mounting compared to BG Verdict,
MRT sight ring looks to be the bees knees for peep capture,
can find double pin .10 version in Canada,
yardage dial/wheel sits nice and compact to the unit,
double pin with double yardage pointer,
less obvious to game when using a rheostat light at dawn and dusk compared to BG Verdict,

Cons - pins not as bright (may need to add rheostat light for dawn and dusk),
no dovetail so only 1 fixed mounting position (going up to the XL increases weight by 4 ounces if my math is correct),
exposed internals - possibility of debris getting into gearing,
yardage tape visibility/location,
heavier than Black Gold Ascent Verdict by a tad,
can be noisy,

Unfortunately there isn't a store within several hours drive that carries both of these sights that I can go to to test out on my bow prior to purchase.
Covid doesn't help things either - stores are delivery or curbside pickup only so even if they had both, I couldn't actually test in person prior to purchase anyhow.

I can find both sights at similar price points so really it comes down to what pros outweigh the cons and will serve me best.
I'm newer to archery, but as with most things I'm a strong believer in buying once, crying once.
The sight will be going on my 70lbs Hoyt.
My main uses:
Turkey, Deer and Moose (often in a ground blind.)
Able to practice out to 100 yards
My local range has 3D course.

Any and all input is appreciated!
Not to say I won't look at other companies but I should mention that I have researched many of the single pin offerings out there and have distilled them down to the 2 sights in question.

Thanks for your time,

Mike in Canada

Last edited:

CB4

WKR
I only have experience with MBG. Just sold it to try Spot Hogg. I actually ended up ordering the Tommy Hogg to get the best of both world. Your gears are enclosed, get the yardage wheel, plus all the micro adjustability. I prefer a 3 pin set up though so I went with the different housing. I figured a couple ounce difference between the fast eddy and tommy hogg would be minimal.

wayoh22

WKR
Cons - pins not as bright (may need to add rheostat light for dawn and dusk),
no dovetail so only 1 fixed mounting position (going up to the XL increases weight by 4 ounces if my math is correct),
exposed internals - possibility of debris getting into gearing,
yardage tape visibility/location,
heavier than Black Gold Ascent Verdict by a tad,
can be noisy,
I can only speak to Spot Hogg but your cons list is minuscule in the grand scheme of things imo.

Not sure where you're getting info that it's not as bright. Maybe with me never having a Black Gold sight but I have shot with .19 and .10 at first and last light and have never had a problem. I also have the rheostat light and have never needed to use it.

Exposed internals is not an issue. I have had mine in dirt, snow, dust, rain...etc and have never had debris build up or anything. Also just taking proper care of it eliminates that ya know? And you said mostly ground blind/still hunting so I don't think you have to worry about that.

Also not sure where you've heard about it being noisy, mine is silent.

All in all, both companies make great sights and you really can't go wrong. I agree with "buy once, cry once" but also don't overthink it too much. And if a dovetail is something you think would be a benefit for sight radius (I do) then go with the Fast Eddie XL. 4 ounces is so small but I get why people think otherwise.

happy hunting!

I like spot Hogg as well. I don’t think you can go wrong with either. Spot Hogg has been super good to me from a customer service stand point. Send me free sight tapes, new screws, I broke my sight they fixed it for free. I have heard that the fast Eddie makes a buzz, I would just call spot Hogg and ask them about it. I shoot the Tommy Hogg. I would personally choose a hard mount over dovetail, don’t want to worry about that thing getting loose and moving around. If you want to shoot out to 100 you will want it mounted closer to your riser anyways.

I have been going through this as well. After time with both I will be hunting a SH. The way they are built, function and overall durability won it for me. With that said, you can’t go wrong but for my time in the woods, SH.

pointer26

Lil-Rokslider
spot hog customer service in top notch . I had a screw strip and they send me new ones fast. I have an older 5 pin hunter with and older level bubble that is not as bright as the new one they are using. I call them up and told them about it . No problem send it to us and will replace it with a new one that's what they said. they are solid sights.

I can only speak to Spot Hogg but your cons list is minuscule in the grand scheme of things imo.

Not sure where you're getting info that it's not as bright. Maybe with me never having a Black Gold sight but I have shot with .19 and .10 at first and last light and have never had a problem. I also have the rheostat light and have never needed to use it.

Exposed internals is not an issue. I have had mine in dirt, snow, dust, rain...etc and have never had debris build up or anything. Also just taking proper care of it eliminates that ya know? And you said mostly ground blind/still hunting so I don't think you have to worry about that.

Also not sure where you've heard about it being noisy, mine is silent.

All in all, both companies make great sights and you really can't go wrong. I agree with "buy once, cry once" but also don't overthink it too much. And if a dovetail is something you think would be a benefit for sight radius (I do) then go with the Fast Eddie XL. 4 ounces is so small but I get why people think otherwise.

happy hunting!

The MBG pins are the brightest I've ever seen. I actually taped the fiber housing on mine because it was starbursting so bad during the middle of the day. That is with 2 .19's and a .10.

That being said I don't think you can go wrong with either. If I was counting ounces I would elect for a MBG Mountain lite slider. My wife has one and loves it for her bow. We didn't want to make it too heavy for obvious reasons. I run purely SH, namely the Tommy and Hogg Father for the purpose of their numeric dials on the side I use as dope charts for multiple arrow set ups and verification if my groups get wonky. I like the extra weight. I can't seem to hold steady anymore without a 7#+ bow.

fatlander

WKR
The MBG pins are the brightest I've ever seen. I actually taped the fiber housing on mine because it was starbursting so bad during the middle of the day. That is with 2 .19's and a .10.

That being said I don't think you can go wrong with either. If I was counting ounces I would elect for a MBG Mountain lite slider. My wife has one and loves it for her bow. We didn't want to make it too heavy for obvious reasons. I run purely SH, namely the Tommy and Hogg Father for the purpose of their numeric dials on the side I use as dope charts for multiple arrow set ups and verification if my groups get wonky. I like the extra weight. I can't seem to hold steady anymore without a 7#+ bow.

This has been my experience as well. I’ve got a spot Hogg on my bow right now, but I’ve had plenty of MBGs through the years.

For what you’re wanting I think the mountain lite is the sight you want.

MBG definitely has brighter pins, less frills, and is a rock solid hunting sight.

Spot hogg has less bright (but more than adequate) pins, more adjustability and is absolutely built like a tank. I like the way SH pins adjust a lot better than MBG. With that said, if you’re a set it once and forget it type, go with the MBG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOMMA

FNG
I have both the Fast Eddie Single Pin and Ascent Verdict Single Pin with 4" dovetail. Your Pros / Cons is accurate. I use the BG as my primary hunting sight. This is based on one reason, the BG pin is brighter. This is critical as my eyes are not great and in the early morning and evening I can see the BG pin.

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
one thing that Black Gold has that spot hogg doesn't is the fact you can get the most out of your sight tape with sight in your housing with it maxed out at the top. I go for the micro gang adjustments on the housing to make it easier. I have the Fast Eddie, the Fast Eddie XL, and the Tommy Hogg along with a Pure 75 3 pin and Pure Driven single pin by Black gold. i prefer the black gold as it has more features i look for in a sight but that doesn't take anything away form the spot hoggs i have. still love them as well.

TheViking

WKR
Flip a coin, both are excellent. SH has the double pin, which is super cool. Only other major difference (in my book) is sight tape on inside versus outside. Sometimes being able to look over real quick and double check your mark on your tape is nice. You can do that at full draw easily if you wanted/needed to (on the BG).

ahlgringo

WKR
Have had both sights you mention, and an option 6

I still have the Fast Eddie- though I prefer the XL version-oz be damned

All 3 are great sights though, and you really are splitting hairs

Recluse

FNG
I have a MGB single (vertical) pin ascent verdict. It is solid and the pins are bright (.19). I’m rough on my equipment too. I’d say their customer service is pretty solid too.

That being said, you can’t go wrong with either choice as others have said

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I sold my fast eddie XL for a MBG pro 3 pin. Liked the MBG so much bought a second identical for my back up. Then bought a pro single pin for my play bow. The pro pins are pretty damn sweet. The MBG is lighter. I feel the MBG has the edge. Both great sights though.

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Had both, loved both. MBG Pro sight, brighter pin, sight tape on sight side. Fast Eddie better wheel for the slider, tape on wheel side. Currently shooting, Fast eddie 2 pin, wouldn't hesitate to shoot either sight. Both easy to sell if you don't like it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a few SH's and a MBG. I have always said that MY perfect sight would be a SH Hogg-it or Hunter with the BG bubble, and their photochromatic shell. I hate the SH bubble, it's too small and dark, and their wrap doesn't work as well as the BG shell. But I love everything else about the SH, so that's what I use.

I have a few SH's and a MBG. I have always said that MY perfect sight would be a SH Hogg-it or Hunter with the BG bubble, and their photochromatic shell. I hate the SH bubble, it's too small and dark, and their wrap doesn't work as well as the BG shell. But I love everything else about the SH, so that's what I use.

Just picked up a SH, and concur, the bubble is very dark. I went with the .029 pins so it seems bright. Upgrade for me, so we shall see. Every BG sight I've held in my hands has always displayed very bright, nice pins for sure. I'm a bolt it on, let it rust kind of guy. Hoping the SH is as solid as they say.