Boyds Recoil Pads

T3X

FNG
Looking to order a Boyds gun stock for my Tikka T3X 6.5cm. For those that have ordered through them, is the 'Boyds' recoil pad decent or should I upgrade to a Limbsaver or pachmayr? Their pad is 1/2" thick vs others at 1", so it would affect length of pull later on if I would change.

Also, are there any current discount codes?

Last edited:
OP
T

T3X

FNG
From what I'm reading/searching, I'm leaning towards a Pachmayr. I have a Limbsaver on my 11-87 shotgun from years ago, does a nice job but does get a little gummy from sitting in the safe( sticking to the carpet floor), unless they've changed their formula lately.

Curhunter

FNG
I have a 338wm in a Boyds with the Limbsaver. It does a good job but I haven't had it long enough to know it will get gummy.
If going with Boyds get it with the pillar bedding. After using several of their stocks they have all shrank some.

Reactions: T3X
OP
T

T3X

FNG
I have a 338wm in a Boyds with the Limbsaver. It does a good job but I haven't had it long enough to know it will get gummy.
If going with Boyds get it with the pillar bedding. After using several of their stocks they have all shrank some.
Solid wood or laminate? I'd be going with the Prairie Hunter in Claro X walnut.

Curhunter

FNG
I have used all laminates trying for a stock that would hold up in bad weather. Didn't expect as much shifting from a laminate.
Overall I'm satisfied with their stocks for the price.

Reactions: T3X

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely pick a different pad. The stock Boyd’s one might as well not be there. It’s as hard as a rock.

grfox92

WKR
What is your intended use for the rifle? Not tying to be negative but I've heard some horror stories of big point of impact shifts with Boyds laminate stocks.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk