Options for reducing Tikka T3x recoil

Marlin604

FNG
I have a T3x stainless in 30-06 that kicks like a mule even with a limbsaver pad on it so I end up not wanting to shoot it. I want to either tame the recoil or move down in caliber so I can actually enjoy shooting it. My use case is this is my main hunting rifle but also want to put in a fair amount of range time with it.

I feel like my options are:

a) install a brake

b) change out the factory stock

c) move down in caliber to 308 or 6.5CM. I just got into hunting and am going for deer and bear. Maybe elk & moose in the future.

What would everyone recommend? For those that changed the stock, did it improve the felt recoil?

ThatDUDE

WKR

Here are some great threads to help build your confidence is going to a "smaller" caliber that will allow you to shoot more and enjoy it.

I started out hunting with a tikka t3 30-06. Took me years to overcome the flinching. I still have and shoot that rifle, but maybe 10 times a year vs a few thousand on much smaller cartridges like the 6.5 creedmoor.

You’ll thank yourself just getting something smaller.

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
I have a T3x stainless in 30-06 that kicks like a mule even with a limbsaver pad on it so I end up not wanting to shoot it. I want to either tame the recoil or move down in caliber so I can actually enjoy shooting it. My use case is this is my main hunting rifle but also want to put in a fair amount of range time with it.

a) install a brake

c) move down in caliber to 308 or 6.5CM. I just got into hunting and am going for deer and bear. Maybe elk & moose in the future.

What would everyone recommend? For those that changed the stock, did it improve the felt recoil?
Go 6.5 CM and BANK upon great bullets,doing great things,from a parcel that is actually FUN to shoot,less any Bandaids and ZERO "concessions.

There may be something figurative,literal and likely a Pun included.

Win/win/win..............

Have you tried a limbsaver recoil pad? They help noticeably. Also what weight bullet are you shooting. I have the T3 in 30-06 and find it gets uncomfortable for me above 165 grains. (Still way better than my old Remington 700 , which I
learned to shoot with a brass butt plate! )

That being said I bought a T3 in 7mm-08 and it’s a lot more fun to shoot.

Theres a thread running here about the “Rok stock“ which has a straight and higher comb. Don’t know if it affects felt recoil but is reputed to help with muzzle jump and keeping your site picture after recoil. Stocky’s is supposed to have them out soon.

C. Sell it and get a 6.5 cm.

I had a tikka 3006 and thought the recoil was manageable with the limbsaver, but sold it to get a 6.5cm and I have way more fun athe range now with a 6.5. Especially if my wife was shooting with me. Youll still get concussion blast with a brake, and be halfway to a new Tikka once you pay to cut, thread and get a brake for your current gun. Gunzonedeals has really good prices new. With modern bullets you don't need to be shooting magnums and thirty cals for big game anymore

Legend

WKR

a) install a brake

I have a 300wsm that I wanted to reduce the recoil in for my kids. I am now shooting 124 grain bullets. Turns out it is a lot of fun!! The less weight in the bullet the less it pushes you.

And we mostly hunt elk with it.

My main shootin’ iron is a stainless T3 in 7mm-08. I realized years ago that a 150 gr ELDX at 2790 fps would kill just as well as a 30-06 at the distances I’m likely to shoot.

Over the last 10 years I’ve killed elk, deer, and antelope with it. Nothing needed a second shot.

I watched my dad kill a big 5x5 bull at 225 yards with his 7mm-08. One and done.

I watched my nephew kill a 5x6 bull at 409 yards with his 7mm-08. Shot more than once but didn’t need to.

Much lower recoil, pleasant to shoot, kills waaaaay above its weight class.

P

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I like my hearing, so I won’t put a brake on my rifle, but that’s an option. A suppressor also reduces recoil, but buying one now will get it in your hands in 8-9 months, maybe sooner, if you’re lucky. So a brake is more immediate. Sounds like you’d need to thread your barrel to take a brake or suppressor.

I’d go with a re-barrel or trade in for .308, or any -08 derived cartridge, or a 6.5CM, if it were me.

OP
M

Marlin604

FNG
Have you tried a limbsaver recoil pad? They help noticeably. Also what weight bullet are you shooting. I have the T3 in 30-06 and find it gets uncomfortable for me above 165 grains. (Still way better than my old Remington 700 , which I
learned to shoot with a brass butt plate! )

That being said I bought a T3 in 7mm-08 and it’s a lot more fun to shoot.

Theres a thread running here about the “Rok stock“ which has a straight and higher comb. Don’t know if it affects felt recoil but is reputed to help with muzzle jump and keeping your site picture after recoil. Stocky’s is supposed to have them out soon.

Yeah I put a limbsaver on it after my first time at the range with it. Still kicks like crazy. Shooting 165 grain currently.

Anyone have any idea if a stock like the rokstock will reduce felt recoil? I have my doubts, so I’m thinking brake or a lighter kicking cartridge Is the solution here.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Anyone have any idea if a stock like the rokstock will reduce felt recoil? I have my doubts, so I’m thinking brake or a lighter kicking cartridge Is the solution here.
While it will change the direction of the impulse, as it is lighter than a factory stock, it can only increase the energy the shooter is exposed to.

It's going to put the force into your shoulder instead of your cheek bone.