Braggin Board for Fishing!

NY16ga

FNG
I have only seen one ever, not many in my area, but dang they are an excellent eating fish. Nice fish!!!
I'm lucky to have a buddy who has a nice boat and is totally obsessed with these fish. He's got them pretty dialed in. They're a lot of fun though, partially because you can fish for them a number of different ways. Some people like to soak live bait hoping for a monster. Most of the time we take a run-and-gun or maybe spot-and-stalk approach though. Once we get out into relatively open water we start using binos and then when we spot a bunch of birds diving at baitfish (usually menhaden aka "bunkah" in Brooklyn and Jersey), that usually means the bass are feeding there. We'll run just up current of them and start casting plugs into the middle of the chaos as fast as we can. On a good day its about as exciting as any fishing I've ever done, just have to deal with the occasional bird diving for your lure.

And yeah, I agree. One of my favorite fish to eat. Here in NY we have a slot so they have to be 28 - 35 inches to keep, which adds up to a decent amount of fish. One day during the Fall migration my buddy and I caught something like 30 bass each and they were almost all too big to keep. 40-inch fish just smashing topwaters all day. My wrist hurt for three days after but one of the most fun days I've ever had on the water!

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
Couple of peacock bass from last year. Fished with Fish Colombia in Cano Bacon. Peacocks, payara, piranha, wolf fish, and various others. Most of the big fish came on big (musky size) spinnerbaits. Trip of a lifetime!

Attachments

• received_2220192594804972.jpeg
    received_2220192594804972.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 35
  • received_632142891212140 (1).jpeg
    received_632142891212140 (1).jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 34

UncleBone

WKR
Couple of peacock bass from last year. Fished with Fish Colombia in Cano Bacon. Peacocks, payara, piranha, wolf fish, and various others. Most of the big fish came on big (musky size) spinnerbaits. Trip of a lifetime!
Gorgeous fish!! I love to fly fish, and hope to one day get to go to columbia for peacocks. But I am gonna have to settle for a trip to florida sometime soon.

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
Gorgeous fish!! I love to fly fish, and hope to one day get to go to columbia for peacocks. But I am gonna have to settle for a trip to florida sometime soon.
Thanks! The owner of the outfit I fished with is a big fly fisher and they take a ton of guys out who are as well. Highly recommend going if you're able, it wasn't terribly priced but required a good bit of gear I didn't already have.

robtattoo

WKR
We had a great couple of hours on the Spanish this past Sunday. They were absolutely crushing Gotchas right at the mouth of the pass at Orange Beach. We spent the entire day trolling chicken rigs & Clark spoons on planers for Kings & no action at all. Right at 7pm the birds started hitting poagy balls & the water exploded with Spanish. 39719.jpeg
39744.jpeg
FB_IMG_1682554380563.jpg
20230426_180433.jpg
20230426_192443.jpg
39953.jpeg

UncleBone

WKR
We had a great couple of hours on the Spanish this past Sunday. They were absolutely crushing Gotchas right at the mouth of the pass at Orange Beach. We spent the entire day trolling chicken rigs & Clark spoons on planers for Kings & no action at all. Right at 7pm the birds started hitting poagy balls & the water exploded with Spanish. View attachment 547453
View attachment 547454
View attachment 547455
View attachment 547460
View attachment 547461
View attachment 547462
Aji, spanish mackeral nigiri, is some of my favorite!

OXN939

WKR

Nice peacocks! My dad, a friend and I fished the Amazon out of Barcelos, Brazil in 2011. Super weird trip... apparently a single drop of Amazon water got into the drinking water supply for the boat, everyone got violently ill except for my buddy who was already on a course of antibiotics from a triggerfish bite he had gotten on a spearfishing trip a few months before. I also got the worst sunburn of my life after taking my shirt off for as long as it took me to eat a sandwich at lunch, with blisters and pus etc. Looked it up and we were within a few hundred yards of the equator so that tracks

Caught a few pretty decent ones the first three days, and then found this one the last morning on a 9" topwater bait. Won't ever forget seeing a 18ish pound fish become fully airborne on the strike, those things are legit like aquatic velociraptors

Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 11.09.17.png

If anyone is in the panhandle of FL and wants to get up to chase some reds and trout, shoot me a PM. Good bite near Apalachicola last week. Definitely not getting over this yak fishing kick any time soon

IMG_20230427_112733.jpg

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Went up north to work for the week as a favor, worked Monday and the guy I was working with got sick… Tuesday I drove 1:45 minutes to meet him and he was sick and called it, then called the next day, then decided to call the week… crap!

Text my buddy to see if he had any trips the next few days and he did, so I figured I’d work for him and salvage the week, and it worked out really good… Thursday-Sunday, Saturday we had 2 trips, and killed a limit of rockfish and lings every trip (Saturday we killed over 100 lings)

Some crazy good quality too, Saturday afternoon we had 2 vermillion rockfish over 12# including one that was just over 12.5# on an odfw scale which makes it a state record… fun few days, and realized how much I missed charter fishing, so I’m going back for the summer

A 12 pound red is an absolute tank. Unreal.

FLATHEAD

WKR
We had a great couple of hours on the Spanish this past Sunday. They were absolutely crushing Gotchas right at the mouth of the pass at Orange Beach. We spent the entire day trolling chicken rigs & Clark spoons on planers for Kings & no action at all. Right at 7pm the birds started hitting poagy balls & the water exploded with Spanish. View attachment 547453
View attachment 547454
View attachment 547455
View attachment 547460
View attachment 547461
View attachment 547462
In my neck of the woods.
I plan to be sitting on the beach in the AM before sunrise.
Spanish eat good dont they?

robtattoo

WKR
In my neck of the woods.
I plan to be sitting on the beach in the AM before sunrise.
Spanish eat good dont they?

Hands down one of my favorites, especially smoked.
I'll give you a shout next time I'm down that way, if you fancy a trip out on the boat.

I was hoping to be down for Snapper opening, but I'm slammed at work that weekend.