Brand New System

OkieElk

FNG
I currently have hodge-pondge of clothing for different things. I use cabbalas light weight and mid-weight garments for whitetail hunting in eastern Ok in Realtree Xtra(also use this in central Texas for spring turkeys). I bought some KUIU(Verde) stuff last year I hoped to use for Elk in CO and and white-tail at home. I don't like the fit of the KUIU and lack of accessories on clothing. I do however like the Sitka gear I have seen, but I'm not sold on the white-tail came pattern(too much white). The open country has the tan in it and but not sure how it will work in oak timbered bottomlands during the Fall.

Any experience with either lines would greatly be appreciated.

Mkurtz

FNG
I was skeptical of the EV II pattern, but tried it out anyway this year. Have put two whitetails in the freezer so far this year wearing EVII head to toe (equinox pants, LS T-shirt, baseball cap, and fanatic gloves.) Both kills were in PA timber from a stand, one a bright sunny day the other overcast shortly after a heavy two day rain came to a end.

OP
O

OkieElk

FNG
Thanks for the info, I liked the pattern when I first saw it but then in person seemed a little bright. Wondered how it would do in the pine covered mountains in CO. They had some odd fleece covered garments that are supposed to be quite I guess. Do you think that pattern and those garments would transfer into elk hunting well?

Mkurtz

FNG
The fleece items from the fanatic series? I can't say from experience how they would work in the Colorado, but I will be using these next year myself for a OTC hunt there without worry. I personally am on the fence about camo as I have killed whitetails in many different outfits (blue jeans, army bdu, different real tree patterns, and now Sitka EV II.) I also have been noticed by animals in all of those also, but usually do to my own movement. I bought Sitka because I like the company, I wanted to try the latest clothing gear, I am able to walk into a big box store and hold items in my hand and try them on.

OP
O

OkieElk

FNG
Yes, fanatic serious has a jacket with half sleeves. I guess for bow hunting. The fleece garments seemed heavy. Wasn't sure if I wanted to be running around the mountains of CO in Late Sept in Fleece due to weather conditions. Im trying to find an all around fit came/clothing system...

Brendan

WKR
I own the fanatic series - I would never consider it for "active" hunting. It is a tree stand only garment for me. Too heavy and warm. I own fanatic, fanatic lite, and the stratus pants.

My active/mountain hunting gear is a combination of Kuiu and First Lite

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm unfamiliar with the conditions you hunt down in there but I can 2nd that I would never take my fanatic set out west. I don't even walk to my stand with it on. It's thick heavy and fleece, everything I want in a tree stand, but the opposite of what I want on the ground while moving.

If you like the pattern there are a few pieces of the Sitka whitetail line that I'd wear and plan to wear in some western states. The equinox pant is one of them. Great pant that is comparable to their open county pants. All the base layers transfer over. That's pretty much it though, most other items are catered to tree stand hunting in the cold.

Another note, the fleece garments are a little bright, but the others appear much darker, neither being a problem IMO.

There are also so,e of their open country items that I'd have no problem wearing in a tree stand, in milder weather. It all depends in what kind of temperatures your going to be dealing with.

Mkurtz

FNG
Here is what I plan to take out West. Light merino bottom (cabelas brand), equinox pants, medium weight merino top (icebreaker brand), core LS top, heavy weight core LS hoody. With setup I can sit for 3-4 hours in high 30's low 40's in a stand here in PA.