Brandon Butler's Cabin Burned Down by Poachers

KurtR

WKR
my brother got married in the mountains of NC his then father in law took me around the mountain to try some local moonshine and you know when your some where you should not be. Its hard to explain that culture out there with out sounding crazy that it exists still in our modern world

This has to be one of the better reads I’ve had in a longgg time on Rokslide.

That being said, at the family hunting cabin back east, we had a couple of people break in and take a whole bunch of stuff... for the third time. First two times the game cameras didn’t catch them. The last time they did. Turns out, the felon that did it (with his teenage son) was well known to local law enforcement. He’s back in prison again. But I imagine the same thing will happen to our cabin as what happened to this guy’s. Because, you know... people shouldn’t be held accountable for their actions.

I get the ideals and issues in these places. I’ve lived around them. But if you never try to change them, other people will continue to get hurt- much like the other families who lost homes or cabins in the general vicinity of this place.

So shame on everyone here who is complicity sitting there hammering away on their keyboard shouting that this guy got what was coming because he was a dummy for expecting it to turn out any different.

This whole story reminds me of that song “You’ll Never Leave Harlan Alive” by Darrell Scott (and Brad Paisley) (and Patty Loveless) (forgot Dave Alvin as well- this should cover most of everyone’s age groups here on Rokslide)

Last edited:

hunt1up

WKR
This discussion on how crime in some areas is viewed and how to change/deal with it reminded me of an incident where a town bully was murdered in broad daylight in front of a crowd and no one saw a thing.

Coincidentally, it happened in MO.

*I’m certainly not advocating vigilante justice. The story just reminded me of the incident and looked it up to remember the details and was surprised to see it happened in Missouri too.

Pretty sure they did an episode about that on Drunk History.

Rob5589

WKR
From Illinois huh, maybe you could go down to the South Side of Chicago and confront the locals about their behavior, bad bad Leroy brown needs to be dealt with . I don’t know the answer but force will only breed more resistance, taking advantage of poverty by buying up the lands for recreation and flaunting wealth in their face probably isn’t going to make much headway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would Chicago be what it is now if years ago people took a stand and law enforcement wasn't corrupt?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Fatcamp

WKR
From another forum, I haven’t listened to Podcart yet:

from new Meateater podcast episode 257

The cabin owner had a game camera pointed at the cabin. But the memory card was missing. . . Suspicious.

Good thing that was his dummy/bait cam.

He also had two well-hidden game cams pointed at the cabin. Which the arsonist didn’t find and take the card out of. Those game cameras had pictures of a gentleman walking to the cabin carrying a rifle and a can of accelerant, and photos leaving the cabin carrying only the rifle (with flames in the background).

Those pics were given to the local police. They didn’t have any trouble finding the arsonist, because he has to come visit them regularly as part of his probation.

He was then arrested during his next probation visit, because he had recently been in prison for drugs. Also has a long rap sheet for general hellbilly stuff. He’s being held without bond now, facing four felonies.

But he wasn’t the “poacher.” The truck hunting poachers were three women, who have all confessed. But he’s like the boyfriend or whatever of one of the women-folk.

Interesting. The article in the OP says the guy that was with him clearly saw a man driving the truck the night of the poaching incident.

Where in MN?

I drove some backroads in south central MO due to a detour years ago. The only radio stations that you get are more than enough to make most non-locals feel very much out of place.

I get what kscreekguy is saying (although it could've been worded better). The guy didn't seem to have any idea of the area that he decided to buy a chunk of land in and build a cabin. It's like stepping back in time 100+ years.

I can't speak for MO or other states, but going to college in central MN, you see plenty of meth heads. My old boss got busted for trafficking meth with illegal mexican cartel guys. This was Saint Cloud, MN. Willmar, MN has a meth problem, too. But I think heroin might take the cake.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just want to know if @kscreekguy is still around here. I hope he wasnt involved with all of it. The way he was almost standing up for the arsonist kinda made you think they maybe kin.

The victim shaming is pretty nauseating. Glad the arsonist got caught.

yeah I'm sure there are meth groupies around, just never thought I'd see one on rokslide; we have enough subforms already, we didn't need a meth/arson one

Alchemy

WKR
I live in southern Oklahoma and there are definitely “pockets” it seems like most of the true rebels have aged out and not really the outlaws they used to be... the tweekers have taken there place and live a life of multiple arson/theft felony’s, a real job is too much work for them and they resort to theft to supplement there vices.
I will say I have never been more uncomfortable geographically than being re-routed with my gos driving thru road construction in the 4 corners reservation area. That makes Missouri look like Beverly Hills!

woods89

WKR
This has indeed been a good read and it's forced me to rethink some of my own ideas, which is good.

The "no sympathy" post made me cringe, as I have a lot of sympathy for Mr. Butler. I will affirm, though, that my experience agrees with many of his descriptions of the area. Take what you can, and leave the rest.

I also hope Mr. Butler is cautious when he returns to this area. This arsonist has brothers, cousins, friends, etc. As one poster said, these people have much less to lose than most of us. We can banter back and forth about doing the right thing, but in the end, Mr. Butler needs to be there to raise his daughters.

Missouri. She's crazy sometimes, and if her natural charms weren't so great, we'd probably not put up with it......

ZDR

WKR
I live in southern Oklahoma and there are definitely “pockets” it seems like most of the true rebels have aged out and not really the outlaws they used to be... the tweekers have taken there place and live a life of multiple arson/theft felony’s, a real job is too much work for them and they resort to theft to supplement there vices.
I will say I have never been more uncomfortable geographically than being re-routed with my gos driving thru road construction in the 4 corners reservation area. That makes Missouri look like Beverly Hills!
I guess I can understand the perception of the 4 corners area, but in reality its not a bad place. I know it looks like a 3rd world country in parts and has its problems like any other rural area in the US, but I think its safer than many. I grew up in the 4 corners and found the res to be quiet with reticent, but friendly people if you get to know them. Some of the best traditional 3Ds are held on the Navajo res and they are a blast with great food, great shooting and good people.

I can't speak for MO or other states, but going to college in central MN, you see plenty of meth heads. My old boss got busted for trafficking meth with illegal mexican cartel guys. This was Saint Cloud, MN. Willmar, MN has a meth problem, too. But I think heroin might take the cake.

There are tweakers nationwide but most places I wouldn't worry about them torching my house/cabin for calling in a trespassing/poaching incident.

Alchemy

WKR
I’m sure it’s like most rural areas, on the surface it appears much worse than really is.
I guess I can understand the perception of the 4 corners area, but in reality its not a bad place. I know it looks like a 3rd world country in parts and has its problems like any other rural area in the US, but I think its safer than many. I grew up in the 4 corners and found the res to be quiet with reticent, but friendly people if you get to know them. Some of the best traditional 3Ds are held on the Navajo res and they are a blast with great food, great shooting and good people.

Reactions: ZDR
I just want to know if @kscreekguy is still around here. I hope he wasnt involved with all of it. The way he was almost standing up for the arsonist kinda made you think they maybe kin.

Reminded me of the coues hunting forum when that guy in AZ got caught poaching a couple 200+ mule deer and stealing cameras. His brother was going OFF with the victim blaming and poacher supporting lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m still around I’ve just got real shit going on.