Brass Longevity Question

I inherited 150 pieces of 300WM brass from a friend who was big into long distance target shooting.
It's ~50 pieces each Lapua, Norma, Win but I don't know how many times he reloaded these.

I know Lapua/Norma is quality brass but since I'm not sure how many times they've been reloaded do these still have any value?
I am new to reloading and want to trade for some components I need but don't want to rip anyone off trading worn-out brass. I would openly disclose I have no idea how many times they've been reloaded and expect the trade value to reflect that.

Should I just retire these or are they worth trading? I see no issues with case neck separation but they've definitely been reloaded a few times.

Thanks for the advice!

Wrench

WKR
Seat a federal primer in each brand or lot....if a federal offers good resistance....that's how I'd describe it. If it does not.....that's how I would describe it.

archp625

WKR
You can always try and trade. Sounds like you will be open to what it is you have. I will say this, most people will be nervous on a trade since they do not know how many times it has been fired. I have seen once fired brass go for money but never had 2+ being sold off. Also you will more than likely trade per brass manufacturer. No one I know wants to reload different brass manufacturers.

I just got my 300wm rebarreled and the norma brass fired in the factory barrel will not chamber in the new barrel. I used a sharpie and found that the contact was coming on or just in front of the belt which I don’t feel can be remediated. For this reason I’d be hesitant to buy WM brass fired in a different rifle.

You can see a little ring above the belt on this pic that was making contact in the new tighter chamber. E2A99F31-6C32-4EFA-A6B2-6AD8F2349D54.jpeg

Harvey_NW

WKR
I just got my 300wm rebarreled and the norma brass fired in the factory barrel will not chamber in the new barrel. I used a sharpie and found that the contact was coming on or just in front of the belt which I don’t feel can be remediated. For this reason I’d be hesitant to buy WM brass fired in a different rifle.

You can see a little ring above the belt on this pic that was making contact in the new tighter chamber. View attachment 280115
This can be solved with the Larry Willis Collet Die. Ran into this with a Bergara 7mm rem mag, the drawback to belted magnums. However my buddy had the same issue and this collet die fixed the issue.

This can be solved with the Larry Willis Collet Die. Ran into this with a Bergara 7mm rem mag, the drawback to belted magnums. However my buddy had the same issue and this collet die fixed the issue.

I actually bought one of those a few weeks ago before watching Larry’s video on it. In Larry’s video
he explains why it won’t work for my issue @ 8:15 to the end of the vid. I actually didn’t have the typical bulge 0.2” up from the belt, it was sizing down to just above the belt pretty well. The problem might be that my Redding FL bushing die was too tight and likely pushing some metal back towards the belt. It was only scraping sharpie off the face of the belt and the little ridge in front of it when I was trying to diagnose where the clearance issues were.

I bought more brass and I don’t intend to trash it all anytime soon. Also hoping the lapua brass on back order shows up soon!

Last edited:

Harvey_NW

WKR
I actually bought one of those a few weeks ago before watching Larry’s video on it. In Larry’s video
he explains why it won’t work for my issue @ 8:15 to the end of the vid. I actually didn’t have the typical bulge 0.2” up from the belt, it was sizing down to just above the belt pretty well. The problem might be that my Redding FL bushing die was too tight and likely pushing some metal back towards the belt. It was only scraping sharpie off the face of the belt and the little ridge in front of it when I was trying to diagnose where the clearance issues were.

I bought more brass and I don’t intend to trash it all anytime soon. Also hoping the lapua brass on back order shows up soon!
Damn! That issue gave me a permanent dislike for belted magnums..

I'm pretty new to belted magnums.. I almost had this last barrel made into a PRC but the stories of clickers made me stick with the WM. I had clicker issues with a 300 NM and that was a PITA. Hopefully brass only fired in this chamber is issue free.

eoperator

WKR
300wm has been around for along time and will continue to be. Don't let a very small problem with "the legend" sway you to pick a hipster cartridge.

Harvey_NW

WKR
300wm has been around for along time and will continue to be. Don't let a very small problem with "the legend" sway you to pick a hipster cartridge.
Between the brass issue and the fact that you can get the same performance out of some of the short mags and shave weight on the rifle, I chose the route with the benefits. I've had 3 7mm rem mags and am currently building my first custom which will be a 7 max in a defiance anTi XM, so I'll get to see for myself here shortly.

eoperator

WKR
Between the brass issue and the fact that you can get the same performance out of some of the short mags and shave weight on the rifle, I chose the route with the benefits. I've had 3 7mm rem mags and am currently building my first custom which will be a 7 max in a defiance anTi XM, so I'll get to see for myself here shortly.
I drove down that same road not long ago, sold my 300wsm that fed long or mono bullets like ass. Ended up going 300wm on anti action that should be done in the next couple weeks.

- with the correct throat, magazine, load the old win mag will always have better velocity.
-anti-x, xm length is 1/4" shorter and 0.6oz lighter than long action, not enough to change my mind