Bring Me Your Wisdom

bcbower

FNG
Hello Squad,

I am looking for advice in purchasing my first Hot Tipi. I wanna hear your thoughts. is this a good/bad idea? Alternatives you like more?

The young calf needs advice.

BuckSnort

WKR
Sounds Cliche but it really is a game changer... I got my wife into backpacking, I try to tell her she is spoiled cause she don't know the suck of putting on cold wet/frozen boots in the morning...

OP
B

bcbower

FNG
Sounds Cliche but it really is a game changer... I got my wife into backpacking, I try to tell her she is spoiled cause she don't know the suck of putting on cold wet/frozen boots in the morning...
Trying to take my wife along as well.
My wife needs heat as well. I will not suffice.

OP
B

bcbower

FNG
Are you camping or backpacking it in?
Backpacking. Was looking at getting an SO Redcliff. Weighs around 5 lbs. possibly get a Luxe Wild West Stove as well. That or the XL SO stove. Haven’t decided yet.

suggestions???

ianpadron

WKR
Friggen GREAT idea. Nuff said!

Anything from Seek Outside is killer. I'd look at the Redcliffe and 6 man for what you described, Cimarron if you're concerned about weight and don't have a ton of gear.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This would be worth a read, it covers some of the pros and cons of floorless.

This is a good primer on managing condensation, which can be a con of singlewall floorless.

Overall the benefits of a hot tent are pretty awesome. The comfort level is amazingly better in nasty cold wet weather.

Redcliffe
- I hunt solo and like the room for wood pile and gear spread out

I personally think the floorless is the best way to go for all around camping in back country

Just started going west again last year. Was going to need to get a tent for myself. Did some digging and stumbled on to the hot tent thing. Hunting partner and I decided to pick one up. Little extra weight was well worth it. Cimmaron and lite outdoors stove. Made the cold very tolerable. Single digit temps first couple nights. Warm boots and dry socks in the morning make the difference for me!

OP
B

bcbower

FNG
I want a set up that allows me to go in and out of the mountains/High plains by myself. Ill take more weight if it means being more comfortable.

I'd say it was kind of a game changer for me. Now I pray for that miserable weather that brings the animals out.
I have no fear of weather knowing I can sit in my Helinox chair and dry out next to the stove.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
Why don't you show some pics of your wife Bruce? I doubt he really wants to show her and I'd doubt even more she would want to put on a website for a bunch of dudes to stare at. Keep it classy...