Broadhead choice for this year

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I just shot the following broad heads to see how they grouped, all in 100 grains.

G5 Montec
Wacems
Muzzy Trocar
Ramcat Diamondback
Shuttle T

After several hours, I found the Muzzy Trocar has the best groups. The following day I made a couple minor rest adjustments and have them shooting really well.

I will run those as my fixed blade and the new Sevr as my mechanical.

Bulldawg

WKR
Yes sales were very poor that is the main reason they went away.

while we are on the topic..why did the Ulmer Edge go away? poor sales numbers?

i'm still shooting Rage Hypodermics at deer and under. my fixie of choice are the Montecs which i have gotten to fly great in the past. i have not shot one with my new bow yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
What set up are you shooting where you have 500 grains at 295????

2017 Hoyt Defiant Turbo, 29.5" draw, arrows are actually around 505 gr total. According to the SFA program I should be getting 10 FPS less than that, but I have had it chrono'ed a bunch and it is very consistent at 295. The bow did come with "turbo buttons" so I'm SURE that's where the extra FPS are coming from...lol!

150 Grain Cutthroats out of my recurve, so far this year have taken a grizzly and two black bears with them. I'll continue to use them. If I decide to use my compound at all, I'll be shooting 100 grain Hypodermics or NAP Killzones or Swhakers, since I have a pile of each and they'll all do the job.

Brendan

WKR
So I just shot the following broad heads to see how they grouped, all in 100 grains.

G5 Montec
Wacems
Muzzy Trocar
Ramcat Diamondback
Shuttle T

After several hours, I found the Muzzy Trocar has the best groups. The following day I made a couple minor rest adjustments and have them shooting really well.

Out of curiosity - how far off were the Wac 'Em and Shuttle T in terms of grouping and consistency for you? I haven't shot muzzy, but have shot those two. Also - have you tested Iron Will?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven’t shot the iron wills and probably never will at the cost of them.

The other two you mentioned I am not sure how far they were off as I only shot them for groups. Both of them shot ok, the Muzzy just shot a better group more consistently.

I have been a pretty diehard Wac em fan for the last 10 years or so. I have taken over 20 big game animals with them and have loved how accurate they are. This year I decided to try out the Muzzy trocar titaniums and so far I have been pretty impressed. They group well and look sa tho, they will do some serious damage. I am planning on doing some more tests here in the next couple weeks thru some ribs and that will help me make a final decision.

Maybe its just me but I dont get the perceived benefit of having blades swing through the ferule like the Ulmur/Sevr. I know what they tell you but...How does a Rudder work? what about the perceived benefit of a single bevel head? Does the logic of a single bevel head or Rudder fly in the face of swinging blades? I think so....less pressure on one side or the other.

I hunt with guys that have shot elk and deer that have got the strangest arrow paths you have ever seen. Almost unbelievable..looked like a trick of some kind. Near broadside shot exiting out from chest - crazy looking

Anyhow...just something to consider. I am sure their are good and bad stories to this design but I do think it is a flaw. The gators look like the Ulmur without the swing ability.

Will_m

WKR
Does anybody shoot some of the popular trad heads out of their compounds? I recently switched to a 175 single bevel grizzly and really like the flight of it. I'm shooting an 80 pound elite impulse at a 27" draw with axis 260s. Anybody doing something similar?

Does anybody shoot some of the popular trad heads out of their compounds? I recently switched to a 175 single bevel grizzly and really like the flight of it. I'm shooting an 80 pound elite impulse at a 27" draw with axis 260s. Anybody doing something similar?

I shoot Abowyer single bevel 200s. 30.5" draw at 65.5#. In the middle of testing arrows...What's your total weight and foc?

Will_m

WKR
Not exact on this as the exact weight slips my mind right now.. but I think its around 550-575. Not sure on the FOC but has to be on the high side with a 175 head, right? That abowyer is a good looking head.

I shoot Abowyer single bevel 200s. 30.5" draw at 65.5#. In the middle of testing arrows...What's your total weight and foc?

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a pack of 200gr single bevel boneheads to try out. They seem to do alright so will probably be using them this year on elk and deer

MattB

WKR

G5 Montec
Wacems
Muzzy Trocar
Ramcat Diamondback
Shuttle T

For what it is worth, I've shot one animal with the Trocars, a moose, and the edge retention of the blades was poor. Despite a passthrough/slightly high double lung, I had to shoot the bull again 45 mins. later. Never again.