Broadhead decisions

Which head do you go with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In process of trying to decide which broadhead I want to use this year.
Choices have come down to the Iron Will SB125 or the Tuffhead Evolution 2.0 Single Bevel 125.

Anyone with experience in both of these heads? Comparisons with how you liked them?

For me, the Tuffhead is tempting because of the one-piece design, all in S7 steel.
Iron Will gets amazing reviews and the beefy bleeders look like they do some good work.

Will be hunting a variety of game in Western Canada.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Bump79

WKR
Of those choices I'd choose the Tuffhead Single bevel with their bleeders. First off - What is your setup? Bow IBO, Draw Length, Draw Weight and arrow weight.

Secondly, I guess I would ask why you are limiting yourself exclusively to a small cut single bevel.

Realistically though I'd probably shoot a larger 3b/4b broadhead or a wider cut single bevel. That's for my compound setup - 70# at 30" draw. I see people jumping through hoops non stop in these theoretically best arrow setups through the Ashby method. He has many many great points - much more than he is off about. The problem is the over emphasis on penetration at all costs. The only way to engineer your way into a setup is by looking at Ashby's studies and realize that he was getting penetration on massive animals with less momentum and KE than nearly any compound shooter today.

What I suggest based on this reality is that you can create yourself a better setup by having just as good bone breaking potential with a larger cut broadhead. The whole plan "b" for an arrow hitting bone missing a huge point. On a bad shot or an animal moving you are significantly more likely to hit further back than you are forward into a bone you weren't going to break anyway. In my personal experience (and in those around me & demonstrated a poll I created on this site & AT) shots further back are way more likely to result in a loss of animal.

Therefore heads I'd suggest if you're the average compound shooter going 280 fps or less - Day Six Evo X with wide bleeder, Iron Will Wide (single bevel if you like) with bleeders, Cutthroat Wide, Tuffhead wide with bleeders.

If you want to save some cash - Alien Archery or Sawtooth A2. Best option for the money probably is the Method VBS for cut on contact. Even better - shoot a 3 blade like an Cutthroat 3b, QAD Exodus, Grim Reaper Micro Hades in 3 or 4 blade or Tooth of the Arrow Solid series. Just to name a few.

Last edited:
OP
S
Of those choices I'd choose the Tuffhead Single bevel with their bleeders. First off - What is your setup? Bow IBO, Draw Length, Draw Weight and arrow weight.

Secondly, I guess I would ask why you are limiting yourself exclusively to a small cut single bevel.

Realistically though I'd probably shoot a larger 3b/4b broadhead or a wider cut single bevel. That's for my compound setup - 70# at 30" draw. I see people jumping through hoops non stop in these theoretically best arrow setups through the Ashby method. He has many many great points - much more than he is off about. The problem is the over emphasis on penetration at all costs. The only way to engineer your way into a setup is by looking at Ashby's studies and realize that he was getting penetration on massive animals with less momentum and KE than nearly any compound shooter today.

What I suggest based on this reality is that you can create yourself a better setup by having just as good bone breaking potential with a larger cut broadhead. The whole plan "b" for an arrow hitting bone missing a huge point. On a bad shot or an animal moving you are significantly more likely to hit further back than you are forward into a bone you weren't going to break anyway. In my personal experience (and in those around me & demonstrated a poll I created on this site & AT) shots further back are way more likely to result in a loss of animal.

Therefore heads I'd suggest if you're the average compound shooter going 280 fps or less - Day Six Evo X with wide bleeder, Iron Will Wide (single bevel if you like) with bleeders, Cutthroat Wide, Tuffhead wide with bleeders. If you want to save some cash - Alien Archery or Sawtooth A2.
Cheers! Will take a look at those heads and take your suggestions under consideration.
I'm definitely on the heavy arrow end of things and am giving it a solid try this year. The arguments for heavy and high FOC just make a lot of sense to me and seem to fly well from my bow.

For reference, I'm using a PSE Brute ATK. Specs as follows:
30.5" draw length
329 IBO
Arrow is Sirius Orion 200 spine. Ethics archery inserts with collars.
- weight w/o heads is 525gr. Will be sitting right around 650 with the points/heads

Bump79

WKR
Cheers! Will take a look at those heads and take your suggestions under consideration.
I'm definitely on the heavy arrow end of things and am giving it a solid try this year. The arguments for heavy and high FOC just make a lot of sense to me and seem to fly well from my bow.

For reference, I'm using a PSE Brute ATK. Specs as follows:
30.5" draw length
329 IBO
Arrow is Sirius Orion 200 spine. Ethics archery inserts with collars.
- weight w/o heads is 525gr. Will be sitting right around 650 with the points/heads
I added a few options. Man! With that setup I wouldn't concern penetration - If your setup doesn't pass through with any of those heads listed.. None on the market were going to. I guess what I'm saying is there is no as fairy dust you can sprinkle on your broadhead that you can break a knuckle with any consistency.. So plan for both situations!

Beendare

WKR
SK, I don't use either....I use an $8 Two blade.

I can tell you both of those are excellent heads...and with that tapered 2 blade design....your arrows will go through those critters so fast you might think you missed.

That design is crazy efficient...and because of that I stopped using the very expensive heads.
Due to the design, there is little pressure on the edge....thus I have seen the same performance from the lesser steel heads.

Bump79

WKR
SK, I don't use either....I use an $8 Two blade.

I can tell you both of those are excellent heads...and with that tapered 2 blade design....your arrows will go through those critters so fast you might think you missed.

That design is crazy efficient...and because of that I stopped using the very expensive heads.
Due to the design, there is little pressure on the edge....thus I have seen the same performance from the lesser steel heads.
Which head are you using these days?

Bump79

WKR
Here's a few heads I'd consider a look at on a smaller budget.

rsltid13

FNG
Here's a few heads I'd consider a look at on a smaller budget.

TX_Diver

WKR
I like the cutthroat single bevels with my recurve. 125s would go well with a compound

Beendare

WKR
Which head are you using these days?
I’m shooting the German Jaeger and magnus Buzzcut- I think the GJs are a little stronger.

FWIW, I’ve seen plenty of 2 blade double bevel heads split bone even with my old sub 40ke recurve. Its the short chisel point heads and 2 blades with the bleeder blades that I ‘ve seen stop dead in bone…a straight 2 blade usually busts through.

Heres an example of what Im talking about….steelforce Phat head…a buddies shot on a turning bull at 6yards.
0E01B44F-C4B1-4DE1-B492-C35D67DA73D3.jpeg
Without the bleeders he probably would have split that vertebra

• Wow
Reactions: Zac