Broadhead Flight Issue

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
If you can't get an exodus swept to fly, you got issues.

The full blade is less forgiving, but they will work too. Just depends on how repeatable your form is.

I'm not saying it's you, can be a multitude of issues, but switching heads because they won't impact with your FP'S ain't fixing your arrow flight problems. Next you will be chasing penetration issues cause your arrow isn't leaving the bow right.
We can only use the full blades in Colorado. I got them to fly well out of my Carbon Zion. The PSE Omen... not so much. I think they are great heads. I was shooting them out past 50 yards with the Zion. That Omen was pita to find an arrow it liked. I ended up shooting GT Kinetic Kaos 300's out of it. Probably should have tried some 250 spine arrows.

We can only use the full blades in Colorado. I got them to fly well out of my Carbon Zion. The PSE Omen... not so much. I think they are great heads. I was shooting them out past 50 yards with the Zion. That Omen was pita to find an arrow it liked. I ended up shooting GT Kinetic Kaos 300's out of it. Probably should have tried some 250 spine arrows.

With broadheads, stiffer is always better.

Far as I remember, swept is legal in Colorado.

JNDEER

WKR
Gotcha. Yeah, I spun them with no issues at the shop when I got them but I should do it again since I’ve had issues. Can you let me know what broadheads you’ve had success with? I have been considering Slick Tricks, but am open to suggestions. Love the exodus and they cut like hell but can’t use the swept blades in Idaho and if I still can’t get them flying right after heeding all this advice, I’m switching.

I have killed a decent number of critters with slick trick standards - however i have seen there QC not up to par and it has been harder and harder to match two blades and an O ring together to spin well.

Lots of fixed heads have flown well for me, usually stick to around a 1" head (ramcats, muzzy trocar, Wac em, etc) .

When slicks QC dropped I went to Tooth of the Arrow broadheads because I favor a 4 blade head. They all spin wonderful and fly better than the slicks. My kill count with the tooth BH isn't as high as the slicks yet, but so far so good.

Slugz

WKR
I have killed a decent number of critters with slick trick standards - however i have seen there QC not up to par and it has been harder and harder to match two blades and an O ring together to spin well.

Lots of fixed heads have flown well for me, usually stick to around a 1" head (ramcats, muzzy trocar, Wac em, etc) .

When slicks QC dropped I went to Tooth of the Arrow broadheads because I favor a 4 blade head. They all spin wonderful and fly better than the slicks. My kill count with the tooth BH isn't as high as the slicks yet, but so far so good.
What did you see QC wise so I can look at mine closer? Thanks

Gotcha. Yeah, I spun them with no issues at the shop when I got them but I should do it again since I’ve had issues. Can you let me know what broadheads you’ve had success with? I have been considering Slick Tricks, but am open to suggestions. Love the exodus and they cut like hell but can’t use the swept blades in Idaho and if I still can’t get them flying right after heeding all this advice, I’m switching.
Were the arrows squared fully after being cut? I cut from both ends and put silver sharpie on the ends then square until all silver is gone. Have you bent an outsert while practicing?

The best flying fixed blade I’ve found are the Annihilator heads. I had absolutely zero impact difference between them and field tips out to 80 yards. Both standard and XL.

You've shot a lot, haven't mentioned replacing the string, and zebras sometimes stretch, which can cause a few tuning issues.
1. Are your cams still in time?
2. Is the rest starting to drop within 1" of arrow movement?
3. Are Ata and brace height in spec?

Also, in my experience you moved the rest the wrong direction. Different folks do report different correct for them answers, apparently form, grip, and draw length errors can create discrepancies person to person in terms of what works.

One year I had my QAD‘s hitting perfectly with my field points. Next year, I put on a new sight and for the life of me could not get them to hit closer than 2” from the field points. Not sure how the sight was factoring into that. Form was more likely. But after lots of adjusting enough was enough. I moved my micro adjuster something like 4 clicks and called it good. Was still accurate with broadheads out to 60. 15-20 yards farther than I’ll likely ever shoot at game. If I put on field points I moved it back the same number of clicks. That said, I tried mechanicals, Grim Reaper Whitetails Specials, and they hit exactly where my field points hit. I used them for the season and took one deer with them. It fell over like a rifle hit. Not that I expect that every time but it was impressive.

SDHNTR

WKR
If you want to shoot mechanicals on lighter game because they cut bigger holes, go for it. But do not use them as a Band-Aid for poor tuning and/or form. That is a lazy way out. It is also not optimal as it still means the arrow is not flying perfectly true. You could have deflections and a loss of penetration. Fix any problems first, then select your Brodhead based on game and conditions you will face.

nphunter

WKR
My advise, toss the QAD’s and shoot something else, there are a lot of better flying heads than the full blade exodus. I personally couldn’t get them to group well enough for me and sold mine. I was also shooting 300+ FPS at the time and after 50 they just wouldn’t group. The bow was tuned well and bare shafts flew with fletched, maybe it was because of the speed of the arrow IDK, reguardless I’ll never buy them again.

There are a pile of good flying fixed heads out there, even if a lot of people have luck with the exodus, the full blade version is not as forgiving as a lot of other heads. The best flying heads have less surface area, normally those are COC 2 blades with or without bleeders. Kudu, IW, Magnus, Day 6, or similar.

Before you go messing around with your bow give another head a try and see how they fly.

As far as expandables go, I would shoot a good quality expandable for deer anyway, more forgiving, better blood trails and quicker kills. Even the best flying fixed blades are more effected by poor shot execution or wind than an expandable and even the best archers can have a shot break down when buck fever sets in.

In archery confidence is key, shoot whatever you end up shooting accurately all the time. You want to know you can make a good shot at the moment of truth. If you’re not happy with something change it, practice a lot and go hunt.

Most the people constantly on these archery forms including myself are anal about their bows, fine tune everything and mess with them all year. But, the large majority of archery hunters go buy whatever bow their shop sells them with whatever arrows and they go kill deer and elk. Out of the dozens of successful archers I know very few maybe 5% or less tune their own bows, have ever heard of bare shaft tuning or have broadheads flying with field tips. Most just sight in for broadheads and practice with them and go kill stuff.

If something doesn’t work, change it, owning and shooting a new bow should be fun, not frustrating, if you can shoot 3” groups at 60 you’re shooting very well. Find a head that flys for you and go enjoy shooting. Don’t let all this stuff get into your head and make you think somehow there is something wrong with you or your bow.

nphunter

WKR
Hogwash. QAD Exodus fly great. As do the vast majority of other quality broadhead’s on the market. If a broadhead doesn’t fly to your liking out of your set up, it’s not the fault of the Brodhead.
Have you shot the full blade exodus out past 60 yards?

I group full blade Exodus and field points out to 97 yards without issue. Haven't put my bow over the chrono, but I shot the 294 fps tape on my mbg Ascent Verdict.

MattB

WKR
Oh okay, thank you. I'll definitely check out that measurement for the riser. The tool in the video I watched said to move it toward the field points, opposite of the broadheads. People really shouldn't be giving advice if they don't know what they're talking about.
That method has worked fine for me for 25 year.

My guess is your string/cable crept. Measure your specs.

JNDEER

WKR

For a while rumor was a lot of their products were intermixed with copy cat china products. Same packaging and everything just being sold on amazon/ebay. During this time is when i saw the QC go down- but i was also buying from amazon/ebay.

Even with fresh packages from a box store. What i found was it was significantly harder to match up a head, two locking blades and the perfect washer to get them to spin without a wobble. When they wobble, they don't fly well for me. Even after finding a perfect match and it being screwed on in my quiver for a while i would take it out and re spin and sometimes if the washer moved ever so slightly (loosen or tighten) and it would wobble. I got tired of that and moved away from them despite having great success with the head.

Slugz

WKR
For a while rumor was a lot of their products were intermixed with copy cat china products. Same packaging and everything just being sold on amazon/ebay. During this time is when i saw the QC go down- but i was also buying from amazon/ebay.

Even with fresh packages from a box store. What i found was it was significantly harder to match up a head, two locking blades and the perfect washer to get them to spin without a wobble. When they wobble, they don't fly well for me. Even after finding a perfect match and it being screwed on in my quiver for a while i would take it out and re spin and sometimes if the washer moved ever so slightly (loosen or tighten) and it would wobble. I got tired of that and moved away from them despite having great success with the head.
Thank you. I may have gotten lucky. I grabbed like a dozen. Cant remember when but hadnt seen those issues.. They are about at the end of their life now. Thanks

Shraedus

FNG
I had ordered 2 boxes of slick tricks and none of the heads would screw into any of my arrows. I didn't know until I tried using them outside of my return window. I had ordered them from amazon.

tdoublev

FNG
Will also recommend trying to simply adjust your rest in the opposite direction. Know several people have recommended that but didn’t see OP report back on that attempt. I originally moved my rest towards my FP when Broadhead tuning and it never grouped. Moved back to the start position and then a very small adjustment towards my BH got them grouping together immediately. It honestly doesn’t make sense to me based on physics, but it worked (for me). Your spine sounds correct and unless you’re at a super high FPS (not likely given you’re a short drawn length - I feel your pain) then the broadhead itself is not the problem.

WMag338

WKR
I've had similar issues. My local bow shop is absolutely terrible. I got fed up with them and watched a ton of youtubes and read through the forums. I learned how to tune my bow, set center shot, swap tophats, adjust arrow rest. I shoot Iron Wills and i've cut countless fletchings from my field points arrows when the Iron will slices into it from 20-100 yards.

If I can do it, anyone can.