Broadhead of choice

Magnus Stinger Buzzcut 125gr, fly pretty darn close to field points and worked well on a buck+bull last year. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Good luck with your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broadhead choice will always be a debated subject because there are so many choices. The main starting point is to determine what animal you are going to be hunting. This is important because of the simple fact that mechanicals do not penetrate as deep as most fixed blade heads. I want whatever I shoot to have 2 holes that they are bleeding out from.

For whitetails, I use NAP Killzones and I have never had an issue with penetration...they blow right through deer. I choose to use them because they leave a nasty 2" entry/exit hole and they are mechanicals so they fly extremely well.

For elk, I use a 3-blade fixed broadhead. Elk are much thicker than whitetails so greater penetration is needed. When you start shooting fixed blades, much more attention to detail is required in your set-up if you want to get really good groups at long distances. You are essentially adding fletching to the front of your arrow so it is necessary to paper tune to make sure that your arrows are coming out of the bow straight. Also, adding larger fletching or using helical/offset fletching will increase the resistance to the back of the arrow thus making it more stable in flight.

Another consideration is making sure that your broadhead's ferrule is straight. This is accomplished by spin testing your arrows with the broadhead. A crooked broadhead will add resistance to the front of the arrow and steer it away from the others.

If you want to get great flight out of fixed blade heads, put in the work to make them fly well. Montecs are great broadheads. I stick to shooting a 3-blade fixed over 2 or 4 because they are a happy medium. 2-blade heads do not cut as much as I prefer and 4 blades simply do not penetrate as well for the most part. Keep in mind the surface area of the blades...the greater the surface area, the greater fletching stabilization is required and the more resistance you are going to have at the front of your arrow.

JoeDirt

WKR
Magnus Stinger Killer Bee 125's 4 blade. They group like my field points and are sharp out of the package.

jdmaxwell

WKR
I've killed elk with Rage, Muzzy, NAP, Exodus, & Slick Trick.
I'm sticking with Slick Trick Magnum 125gr. in experiences I've had.

Curious what everyone’s broadhead of choice is these days. I was a Montec guy for a long time after they hit the streets then moved to T3s after being unable to tighten up my groups with the fixed blades. I didn’t need any more error, let alone doubt when the moment came. I was also chasing white tails shooting 100 gr. What about for elk?
I just ordered a set of Ironwill S125's I have never shot them, but I hear a lot of good reviews.

Rob5589

WKR
Y’all have any additional tuning required or right out of the box with field point tuned bow?
Nothing additional from my usual routine. Paper tune, walk back tune, spin on BH, shoot them. I also make sure every every arrow that gets a BH spins true without a hint of wobble. If it does, it gets moved to the FP/practice arrow pile.

406unltd

WKR
Early 2000’s I used muzzy 3 blade. After a hiatus in the army I came back to my buddies shooting slick trick standards. I’ve shot those the last 6 years. This year however I switched to the Valkyrie system and I love them so far. It’s a neat system and when I found the fletching combo my setup liked they are lights out accurate. When I eventually lose one or two it’s gonna suck because of price but the truth is that if I had to buy 3 new heads every year I can afford it. I have one hobby and 125$ is a lot but it’s also doable once a year if I was cursed with losing all my heads every year. Lots of great options out there for elk

Ejay74

FNG
100gr GR Whitetail Special, required minimal tuning to get em matched up with my field points. I know a lotta guys prefer the 1 3/8 GR because the whitetail special requires a lot to get good penetration but a heavy arrow at 270fps erases that concern for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed If the bow shoots bullets on though paper most any broachead should shoot good provided it’s spins good and true on a arrow spinner. Shooting a four fletch on helical seemed to help a lot for me as well. I shoot the viper tricks aswell, although I will say some of the ferrell’s I got last year didn’t allow the blades to seat fully. After I contacted slick trick they sent out a new set free of charge.

Beendare

WKR
Mech heads are fine...but shooting a mech head because your arrow flight is bad and not tuning.... just means you are now shooting a hunting arrow that wobbles.

Bad Idea^