Browning Auto 5 ammo

Old16's

FNG
Hey everyone. I recently got hold of a Belgium made Browning Auto 5 16 gauge 1925 model.
I was trying to find reloading specs as I don't want to make any changes to the gun. Any help would be appreciated!

pirogue

WKR
Not sure what you mean by “changes to the gun”, but, no one but you knows how and where the bevel ring is placed on the spring. About as easy to change as switching a max load shell to a field load shell in the magazine(which recommends the bevel ring position to start with). And if it doesn’t recoil/eject properly, you’re bevel ring ain’t right, or your perception of the load ain’t right. You ain’t going to hurt the gun, it’s a Belgium made Browning.

OP
O

Old16's

FNG
I don't want to take it to a gunsmith and have it altered to accept the longer shells.

OP
O

Old16's

FNG
Not sure what you mean by “changes to the gun”, but, no one but you knows how and where the bevel ring is placed on the spring. About as easy to change as switching a max load shell to a field load shell in the magazine(which recommends the bevel ring position to start with). And if it doesn’t recoil/eject properly, you’re bevel ring ain’t right, or your perception of the load ain’t right. You ain’t going to hurt the gun, it’s a Belgium made Browning.
The gun is setup for 2 9/16 inch shells , not 2 3/4. Not a huge deal. That's why I want reloading data. I have other 16's that handle the longer shells. I can just trim them and use them in the A5.

chemist

FNG
Look for 2.5" reloading data, you probably aren't going to find much loading data for 2 9/16" specifically, but I see no reason you can't either use the 2.5" data in a 2 9/16" hull or just reload 2.5" shells.

Hodgdon has some for 2.5" cheddite hulls on their reloading data center.

tops911

FNG
Just to share my experience, my old Auto5 16 will not extract European hulls. It is flawless with true American ammo (Federal, Remington, old Activ and the old Winchester compression hulls); Fiocchi and Cheddite will not extract. I've measured the rims of the hulls and there is a difference between the American hulls and European hulls.

OP
O

Old16's

FNG
Just to share my experience, my old Auto5 16 will not extract European hulls. It is flawless with true American ammo (Federal, Remington, old Activ and the old Winchester compression hulls); Fiocchi and Cheddite will not extract. I've measured the rims of the hulls and there is a difference between the American hulls and European hulls.
Thanks for the info,, I have been considering using 2 3/4 inch once fired hulls, cutting them to 2 1/2 inch and reloading. I did discover a broken extractor , replaced it. But haven't had time to take it out to the range yet.
I have searched a lot of sites and came up empty as far as ammo.

bradyhunt

FNG
RST sells 2.5" shells.

I've shot plenty of factory 2.75" rounds out of 2.5" chambered shotguns. They were standard target loads

Or if you want piece of mind, have a gunsmith lengthen the chamber. Not an expensive job.

OP
O

Old16's

FNG
RST sells 2.5" shells.

I've shot plenty of factory 2.75" rounds out of 2.5" chambered shotguns. They were standard target loads

Or if you want piece of mind, have a gunsmith lengthen the chamber. Not an expensive job.
They are listed on the website but everytime I have checked they are always out of stock.
I know some of the A5 are finicky about ammo and since my gun is a 1925 . I didn't want to push it.

chemist

FNG
Are you already set up to fold crimp 2.5" shells? If you are not and this will be a low volume gun, then you could roll crimp 2 9/16 hulls using low pressure 2 3/4" data.

OP
O

Old16's

FNG
Are you already set up to fold crimp 2.5" shells? If you are not and this will be a low volume gun, then you could roll crimp 2 9/16 hulls using low pressure 2 3/4" data.
Thanks for the info. But having trouble finding the components. Just got a line on wads and shot but still trying for the rest of the materials. Primers non existent except for cheddite and I understand they are a little bigger than others.
Although the brass hulls if I could find them, uses large pistol primers.

chemist

FNG
Cheddite primers work just fine. Do not let them be your hang up.

There actually is not a difference in diameter of 209 primers, but the tapers on the primers can be different.

The European "sized" primers (Rio, Nobel sport, Fiocchi) have a bit less tapered which means that they will be a little bit harder to seat the first time in a hull that previously had an American "sized" primer. Also you will not be able to reload the American primers in for subsequent loadings due to loose primer pockets. You will be able to use the hull again with European primers though.

Cheddites are somewhat in the middle between the two as far as size. I have used thousands of them and not had any problems. Once I start loading hulls with them, I keep using them until the hulls are ready for the trash bin though.

OP
O

Old16's

FNG
That's good to know. I will keep looking. I am actually looking forward to getting the gun on the range and in the field. Thanks