New version Browning A5 Sweet 16 opinions

Hey all. I have a shotgun question.

I am considering getting a Browning A5 Sweet 16. The appeal for me is 1) the nostalgia of the name, 2) the fact that all of my semi-auto shotguns over the last 20 years have been Browning Gold Hunters and 3) during the last ammo shortage there was still plenty of 16 gauge on the shelf.

I am wondering if any of you have them, and if so, what are your opinions of them?

My primary use would be dove hunting and pheasant hunting over dogs. Maybe some decoying duck hunting thrown in every once in a while.

letrbuck

WKR
As I'm sure you know, they really share nothing the old auto-5 guns.

They are inertia guns, and the 16 is very light and lively. I have shot 16ga guns almost exclusively for the last 20 years, and it was all my father and grandfather shot. 16ga ammo options are limited, but there are some good loads. Sometimes they are non-existant but other times the only thing on shelves. Buy a few boxes at a time when they are avaliable and on sale to build a small stock pile and you'll be fine.

As with any shotgun, shooting it well all comes down to how it fits. Make sure you try the lightning variant as well with the more POW style grip

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Had the 12 gauge version. I enjoyed it. A friend offered me more for it and I've been doing most of my wingshooting with the 20 gauge.
I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a sweet 16 if it scratched an itch for me and I had the cash at hand. Unless a 20 gauge version was available if only for more readily available nontoxic loads.

Eleven

FNG
I love the 16ga. I have several shotguns that are chamber for it. While I don’t have the new browning, I have an old Remington sportsman in 16 that is based off the auto 5 sweet 16. I shoot it a lot and it is my favorite grouse gun. And if you need it, Boss sells non-toxic loads for the 16ga.

hwy1strat

WKR
I’ve got one that I bought about two years ago and it’s been great. I’ve used it a ton and have had no reliability issues whatsoever. Even on nasty days of freezing rain. I love how light it is and I’m a huge fan of the a5 hump. It just fits me well

TBarron

WKR
Just got one and used it pheasant hunting in SD and it was an absolute hammer on the birds. Only disappointment was that when the weather got bad I had some cycling issues with it properly ejecting shells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
I just handled the lightening version at scheels this weekend. Super lightweight, slim and trim. Lovely build and quality. Feels amazing in the hand. 16ga is the sweetest gauge, or was. With the 20ga shells available these days I agree its mostly nostalgia or a pure love of 16s to go for it.