Brucellosis in elk and its impact on them

willy

FNG
I was watching a public tv show called Market to Market and they were discussing Brucellosis and the impact it was going to have on elk in the future if they didn't get a handle on it. The biologist stated that in his opinion within 30 years elk would be devastated by it in the Rocky mountains.

Wyoming is doing a study on the disease and I received from the WYGF a vial to put blood in this past season if i were lucky enough to get an elk. I was fortunate and gave them a vial of the cow elk's blood. I have not heard anymore about the study but if I do I will post.

Anybody else have any info on brucellosis in elk in WY or anywhere else for that matter?

Brucellosis is a cattle disease and it affects cattle. The cattle industry and their powerful lobby used this disease as boogeyman reason for culling wildlife, though that has been mostly limited to bison. They have long eyed applying the same junk science as reason to decimate the elk which compete for the same grazing on the PUBLIC LAND that the cattlemen lease for pennies an acre.

RS3579

WKR
Here in PA I also had to provide 2 vials of blood for testing. We asked the biologist and they specifically said it was to test Brucellosis. I’m sure there are more to test for. I hope if this becomes a serious threat that the biologists get it under control in all states.

I think brucellosis has been in elk in the Montana/Wyoming area since the 30’s. Hasn’t seemed to really impact them to a point that has caused issues with demographics. It’s a cattle disease that does impact cattle as their abortion rates are nearly double what is seen in elk. Cattle industry in that area has made it out to be a wildlife disease to push the blame off them. Between that and the bison issues, wildlife have a hard time in the area. CWD is likely the more pressing issue for elk.

wapitibob

WKR
Brucellosis is a cattle disease and it affects cattle. The cattle industry and their powerful lobby used this disease as boogeyman reason for culling wildlife, though that has been mostly limited to bison. They have long eyed applying the same junk science as reason to decimate the elk which compete for the same grazing on the PUBLIC LAND that the cattlemen lease for pennies an acre.

^^^ this is what's going on in Montana

The cattle industry has deeper pockets than the hunting industry. It is what it is. (source: I work in the cattle industry)

Sled

WKR
I feel for the ranchers but get pissed everytime I see cows/sheep decimating elk winter ground and knowing the price paid isn't worth the cost to the land and game animals. It wouldn't be so bad if the sheep would stick to their take 50% and move rule.

Wapiti1

WKR
How do biologists get a wildlife disease under control? Please cite an example.
Mostly through population management. See the new Colorado seasons and quota for mule deer to help control CWD. Or the eradication of bighorn sheep from the Tendoys in Montana. In some cases they use hazing to separate the wildlife from the domestic animals. This is done with Bison migrating out of Yellowstone.

As hard as it is to do, vaccination is also used. In fact, it has been used in elk with brucellosis in Wyoming at the feed grounds in Jackson's Hole and they continue the program.

The Brucellosis in Yellowstone came from cattle introduced to the area around 1900. It isn't a native disease in our wildlife.

It is not just a cattle disease, though, humans can get it as well. Though it is very uncommon. You can get it from contact with the uterus and fetus in a cow elk, but as noted, it is really uncommon.

For the elk to transmit it to cattle, they have to calve in the same area as the cattle, and is very close contact. The cattle have to come into contact with an infected aborted fetus/placenta/fluids. This was found in the Sybille research unit. This is also the mechanism for spread in elk and bison. Often, the mother and other cows will consume, or attempt to consume the aborted fetus. They instinctually do this to keep predators at bay. Most of this info came from the text Elk Ecology and Management. The Sybille unit studies have a lot of info on it as well. And there is a joint state management committee between Idaho, MT and WY.

Jeremy

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Idaho has some Brucellosis in the palisade herd on the Wyoming border. Supposedly this is why its the lowest elk population per unit in the state. My understanding though is its more due to the management to keep the population low due to concerns with cattle ranchers rather than any real impact on the elk.
Brucellosis is also the reason for the bison cull in Yellowstone. Too high of a population and they spread outside the park more frequently but the population can't be sent to other areas due to the high Brucellosis infection rate in the bison throughout the park.