Do elk cross large boulder fields

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Elk can cross most of them but like others have said, they will avoid them if they aren't on a mission. It is a great natural funnel, especially if you find a decent trail through our shortest way around.
+1. Look below (or possibly even above) for a natural trail skirting field.

If elk are left to their own instincts, I am betting on a parallel trail vs cross boulders in wide open.

squirrel

WKR
Can they? yes absolutely

Will they? no

Once I was the second human contact for a group of 50-60 head at tree line. Upon running into me they panicked and thought they were surrounded (it was summer). The lead cow bolted up into friggin mountain goat country and I stood and took pics ( this is back when cameras had film) as they lost their nerve and calves were falling down scree chutes and cows were bawling and squealing and huge boulders were kicked loose and pummelling those below. It was a brutal half hour for those elk but far as I could tell none died. I guarantee you some were extremely stiff and sore for the next few days. Amazing animals but look for the hidden trails through those boulders. build a blind and when you are too tired to be ridge running after elk go there and sit. Better than being in the tent.